• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I am in the process of repairing even if to just sell a craftsman garden tiller I have. The drive chain broke. Long story short the “shear pins” in it don’t shear for crap. When I took it apart I found a broken chain like I was told I would find and then I found the drive gear said chain goes I has two teeth knocked off of it. Is it worth attempting to weld material to the gear and creating my own teeth or should I just send it?

Attachments

• F5C6A6AF-7582-4DF2-8D8C-0BFBD62A57BA.jpeg
      F5C6A6AF-7582-4DF2-8D8C-0BFBD62A57BA.jpeg
      584.7 KB · Views: 21

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I am in the process of repairing even if to just sell a craftsman garden tiller I have. The drive chain broke. Long story short the “shear pins” in it don’t shear for crap. When I took it apart I found a broken chain like I was told I would find and then I found the drive gear said chain goes I has two teeth knocked off of it. Is it worth attempting to weld material to the gear and creating my own teeth or should I just send it?
    Any idea on the metal type? Could you possibly locate a replacement gear online?

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Shoot sorry, I meant to prevent that question. The part was discontinued in 2019 and 2 hours of searching netted nothing.

As for the material I’m guessing steel but I have no idea for certain.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    A troy bilt will replace this one but there is no reason to send it to the scrapyard if it can be repaired and offered to someone else for their needs.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Man that's helpful. Also with Deere's reputation of having proprietary parts I'm out on their garbage.

My brother has a tractor that he can't use because Deere no longer makes a steering part, and won't let anyone else make it either.

Yeah....will not disagree re: their new stuff.

It wasn't that way 40 years ago.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I'll bet that sheared those teeth when the chain broke and stuff got jammed up in there. Can it be welded up and then file down to the correct profile so the chain would work, that answer is yes, but do you have the skill, time, and patience to see it through. I would either buy a new higher quality chain or pull the shear pins out and replace them with something weaker

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I'll bet that sheared those teeth when the chain broke and stuff got jammed up in there. Can it be welded up and then file down to the correct profile so the chain would work, that answer is yes, but do you have the skill, time, and patience to see it through. I would either buy a new higher quality chain or pull the shear pins out and replace them with something weaker
    Shear pins were replaced today with grade 2 bolts.

Skill, time patience.... are you asking if I can weld. Yeah I can weld, time well my job affords me two days off between each day worked, patience, I'm patient enough to get it close. I already have a new chain.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I can’t imagine having any luck welding teeth on a sprocket. A good fabricator could cut that sprocket off the assembly and weld one on, something is available, the question becomes what is it worth to do. If you’re willing to sell it very cheap someone will pick it up to work on it. My gut tells me if you can’t do the work yourself you’ll be upside down fixing it (hired). Ask me how I know, I hate throwing stuff away.

It may run like it is, looks like a large speed reduction.

Reactions: Mij

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Shoot sorry, I meant to prevent that question. The part was discontinued in 2019 and 2 hours of searching netted nothing.

As for the material I’m guessing steel but I have no idea for certain.
    You might want to check out Fredricks equipment, possibly they may have something.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    How does the sprocket attach to the hub/ other piece?

If it appears easy enough to weld on a new sprocket, I would try figuring out if a timing chain sprocket for something common like a small block chevy would work

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For the returns you might see in selling it just let it go. Or find someone that does small engine/equipment repair as a sideline and let them have it to see if they can use the parts.
    It is not worth much.

Reactions: Mij

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads