• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redhead

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Just picked up a 1943 Springfield M1, beautiful rifle that spent time overseas. Have the correct bayonet and leather sling, beautiful gun. Go shoot it and will eject the full en bloc after the first round. Very frustrating. Could be timing, Op Rod.......Arg.... frustrating. Looking on line there are people all over that claim to work on these guns. HELP any suggestions out there????

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Jerry Johnson can fix it for you. He is near Churubusco. 260-693-1902. With the passing of Mike Gingher, he is the only one I would trust with the Garand.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    when did Mike die?

I lose track of time, maybe a year ago? A long illness and he never recovered. Andy Giegold has been selling his huge collection of Garands, M1A's, and custom bolt guns. And parts. And tools. If you are interested, I can put you in touch with Andy.

He has the Creighton Audette Remington 700, 308, 1000 yard rifle that Mike loaned me that I used to win a Gold medal in the Fire and Police Olympics in 2001. You should have seen the grin on his face when I showed him that gold medal.....And handed that special rifle back to him. I just don't have the money to buy this one of a kind rifle.

I still hear his voice in my mind when I lay down to make a shot....

The Armalite booth on Commercial Row at Perry was kind of empty without him building and fixing AR's behind that counter last August.

Indiana has a rich firearms heritage that too many have no clue about. Jerry Johnson as the son of his father is part of that heritage. Dam fine shooter and gunsmith in his own right too.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just picked up a 1943 Springfield M1, beautiful rifle that spent time overseas. Have the correct bayonet and leather sling, beautiful gun. Go shoot it and will eject the full en bloc after the first round. Very frustrating. Could be timing, Op Rod.......Arg.... frustrating. Looking on line there are people all over that claim to work on these guns. HELP any suggestions out there????
    Mine is at the CMP right now for that same issue. Mine would eject after about 4-5 rounds though. I replaced the clip latch spring (but not the latch), and upon the advice of the armorer at CMP, I also replaced the bullet guide (supposed to address the timing issue). Neither helped, so he had me send the gun back to them (on their dime, btw). Looking forward to getting it back!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I lose track of time, maybe a year ago? A long illness and he never recovered. Andy Giegold has been selling his huge collection of Garands, M1A's, and custom bolt guns. And parts. And tools. If you are interested, I can put you in touch with Andy.

He has the Creighton Audette Remington 700, 308, 1000 yard rifle that Mike loaned me that I used to win a Gold medal in the Fire and Police Olympics in 2001. You should have seen the grin on his face when I showed him that gold medal.....And handed that special rifle back to him. I just don't have the money to buy this one of a kind rifle.

I still hear his voice in my mind when I lay down to make a shot....

The Armalite booth on Commercial Row at Perry was kind of empty without him building and fixing AR's behind that counter last August.

Indiana has a rich firearms heritage that too many have no clue about. Jerry Johnson as the son of his father is part of that heritage. Dam fine shooter and gunsmith in his own right too.

I had to fortune of seeing his collection in his home. It was the most amazing collection I have ever seen this side of a museum! I always wondered what would happen when he died. It would have been nice to turn his collection into a museum, but I imagine his wife can use the income.

I only met him once, but he was great guy. Even though we only met the one time and talked on the phone a couple times, he is missed. Losses like this leave a void in the community.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    FWIW, just got mine back today and will be taking it to the range tomorrow. Turns out my op rod was out of spec, causing it to short-cycle (armorer's explanation). Gotta say I was pretty impressed with CMP's turnaround time! Less than 2 weeks door-to-door. :rockwoot:

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    FWIW, just got mine back today and will be taking it to the range tomorrow. Turns out my op rod was out of spec, causing it to short-cycle (armorer's explanation). Gotta say I was pretty impressed with CMP's turnaround time! Less than 2 weeks door-to-door. :rockwoot:

What was the deal there, piston out of spec or something else?

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    This thread needs pictures........

picture.php

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Looks like mine is going back to the CMP again. Apparently they didn't function test the rifle before sending it back to me, because nothing has changed. :xmad: Just got back from Atterbury and it never made it through a single clip without ejecting early. If anything it's worse than it was before. Buddy's H&R with the same clips works flawlessly.

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    I would check the wood around the release button and make sure the retaining pin is held in place (mine did the same, had to glue in a piece of wood cut from under the butt plate to fix), another thought is the stock have any marks in the area around the en-bloc well on the INSIDE. if it does, the stock needs to have wood removed to make everything work.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I would check the wood around the release button and make sure the retaining pin is held in place (mine did the same, had to glue in a piece of wood cut from under the butt plate to fix), another thought is the stock have any marks in the area around the en-bloc well on the INSIDE. if it does, the stock needs to have wood removed to make everything work.
    Everything seems to be okay. The pin is fine, and when I replaced the clip latch spring, I didn't see anything odd. It may just be the latch itself being worn. You would think that CMP would have checked that! I can't complain too loudly since they're not charging me anything, but it's just frustrating. I really want to put some rounds through the gun with no problems! :( I probably should've tried switching my buddy's clip latch to my rifle to see if that helped. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    1) Clip latch spring -- get the heavy duty from Fulton
    2) Clip Latch itself-- check it for wear
    3) Op Rod spring, might as well replace it.
    I just went through the same thing a while back, springs replaced and it was good to go. OP, if your close to Rush County (Indy and east) and need help let me know. I have a brand new Fulton clip latch in my parts box too, you just need the spring, and we can see about getting it running

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    iSeekLight
    Top Bottom