• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I was sighting in my new flip up sights yesterday on my FX-9. The trigger pull is so heavy and creepy that it is hard to get off accurate precise shots off-hand. I really would like to have a better trigger pull, but I'm reluctant because of the manufacturer's warning about unintended bump firing, which I want to avoid at all costs. Guess I'll just have to live with the original trigger pull.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    Call Freedom... I have their 2x Springs in mine and YES, they are very heavy. I think we need the air to be cleared with this, and Freedom needs to make it right. They initially claimed that most triggers would be OK... Now the claim is basicly use at your own risk.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Google "15 minute ar trigger job" do the spring mods it shows and put some flitz metal polish where the sear and hammer meet. And shoot it a bunch. My trigger is still stiff ( without the spring mods and flitz ) but has smoothed out a bunch from where it started. Doing the spring mods and flitz tomorrow along with a new buttstock and pistol grip.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Google "15 minute ar trigger job" do the spring mods it shows and put some flitz metal polish where the sear and hammer meet. And shoot it a bunch. My trigger is still stiff ( without the spring mods and flitz ) but has smoothed out a bunch from where it started. Doing the spring mods and flitz tomorrow along with a new buttstock and pistol grip.
    Let us know how that works out for you, especially regarding unintended bump firing. The stock does have some wiggle in it, when fully extended. I still like the carbine; just trying to see if it can be made a little more user friendly. I am admittedly a "trigger snob".

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I am admittedly a "trigger snob".

I am in the same boat as you, I good to great trigger will produce smaller groups and better accuracy, I personally am very carefull about selecting a gun with a great trigger or a gun I can get a trigger for.....now that being said, do these use a standard fire control group ? I don' know......please keep us posted on the out come

Aaron

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I did the work I mentioned in my last post this morning. I didnt do the flitz part because I polished everything with a 4" muslin buffing wheel before reassembly. I did re-angle the outside of the notch in the hammer so it more closely matched the face of the sear on the front of the trigger. At first, when you pulled the trigger slowly with the action open you could actually see the hammer being forced farther back before the sear broke. Makes for a super safe, non bumpfireable trigger but does absolutely nothing to help you shoot well.

It did improve the trigger but not much. Smoothed it out a lot but its still too heavy for my taste.
    Definitely gonna replace it with a lighter weight spring kit.
    Probably this one.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...igger-spring-kit-ar-15-3-1-2-lb-reduced-power

I have never experienced a hammer spring that was that stiff. It was difficult to say the least to get it back together.

I also found out that Magpul over molded pistol grips stick out away from the back of the receiver where the web of your thumb goes. Theres a gap. Not a big deal just looks funny.
    I've only got 125 rounds through it but not so much as a hiccup. Its worked perfectly so far.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I weighed the pull on mine today. It weighs between 6.5 and 7 lbs. I did put some polish on the sear and it did smooth out the pull. Before, the trigger was what I call stagey and gritty. I would pull, hit a hard part, pull and hit another hard part, etc. Now I can feel the trigger move (creep) but it is a clean smooth pull. I can live with the trigger, but I'll wait and see what you think of the reduced power springs Cpt.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Spring set came yesterday. I did order the one from Midway I linked to in one of my previous posts. WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!
    Great improvement to that trigger. Its still kinda long but the 3.5# springs really make it a whole lot easier to maintain sight picture while moving the trigger.
    The info sheet with the spring kit stated that it might not be powerful enough for some ammo with harder primers. Im assuming they mean steel cased Russian or European stuff.
    It hits Federal stuff plenty hard though. Not a single bump fire or issue of any kind so far with the rifle. Its reliably fed, fired and ejected everything I've fed it and always locked open on the last round.
    Im only into it about 200 rounds but so far so good.
    Definitely recommend the 3.5# trigger spring kit from Midway. Big improvement.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Spring set came yesterday. I did order the one from Midway I linked to in one of my previous posts. WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!
    Great improvement to that trigger. Its still kinda long but the 3.5# springs really make it a whole lot easier to maintain sight picture while moving the trigger.
    The info sheet with the spring kit stated that it might not be powerful enough for some ammo with harder primers. Im assuming they mean steel cased Russian or European stuff.
    It hits Federal stuff plenty hard though. Not a single bump fire or issue of any kind so far with the rifle. Its reliably fed, fired and ejected everything I've fed it and always locked open on the last round.
    Im only into it about 200 rounds but so far so good.
    Definitely recommend the 3.5# trigger spring kit from Midway. Big improvement.
    That sounds good. Are the instructions that come with the spring kit detailed?

ccarver497

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2017
    Greenwood
    Ive seen a guy return one back to freedom because it unintentionally would bump fire. They said all they did was replace the springs. So I would call them and ask if there is better solution they have found for a better trigger

Top Bottom