• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZWolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Once again thanks for all the opinions, advice, and information. It's likely that I won't have much more information to update on the situation until his court date next month. Until then I will try to answer any questions, but I can't promise anything.

jeremy I don't know about that, but I have been wondering why he's been walking funny...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Too bad OP's American citizen friend has to go through this. Could possibly be a free man today if he would've had the gun cased (preferably broke down), magazines empty (separate from the gun) and everything locked in the trunk or truck box.

Unless I'm mistaken, he would be problem free if he'd have just not exposed his gun. That is where I have a big problem with his foolish failure to understand the law.

We carry as a means to protect ourselves and family. The need to protect my family trumps everything, I don't know about anyone else's.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Unless I'm mistaken, he would be problem free if he'd have just not exposed his gun. That is where I have a big problem with his foolish failure to understand the law.

We carry as a means to protect ourselves and family. The need to protect my family trumps everything, I don't know about anyone else's.

It's illegal to carry there. If they didn't see it, he may not have been pulled over but it doesn't make it legal to be covered.

ZWolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    I think it has been thoroughly established that my friend isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but that was already known to some. And that he obviously violated a law in the state of Illinois. But, there has been some really good advice and info also.
    The main thing now is making sure that the charges stay a misdemeanor and that he will learn from this experience. Maybe I should start quizzing him on gun laws/beating them into his head...

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    It may bode well for your friend if he were to take some training courses, geared toward the legal aspect of carrying a firearm, between now and his court date. It could help to show the prosecutor and the judge that he truly did make a mistake and that he is willing to and is taking the steps to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

RMOR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Anderson

Yea I agree, and as Mainjet said, he was still illegal, concealed or not. In the interest of having my gun with me when I travel, and knowing that I'm traveling to/through Illannoy, I'm going to take the precaution of breaking it down, separating the mags and locking it up. As opposed to leaving it at home. I definitely would not take a chance leaving it on my hip and trying to conceal it. Sounds like this is just a case of ignorance of the law, and that can be costly sometimes.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    First - Someone KNEW he had the gun and called the Police on HIM. Sounds like a disgruntled ex-wife or something of that matter but I could be wrong.

Second - Mt. Carmel at one time had one of the most corrupt legal 'organizations' in Illionois. I have had my share of trouble with them, but I caused most of it because I was not 21 and yet was in the military and thought that I COULD drink beer. That being said, a good lawyer and a humble atitude would do him well in this case. Most of the Police there in Mt. Carmel are not anti-gun folks.

Third - There is more to this story than we are being told, of this I am pretty sure.

Still I hope he gets off fairly easy and LEARNS from it.

ZWolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    My apologies for not returning sooner and for reviving a month old thread. My friend hired a lawyer and went to the court house on the time he was told. But when he got to the court house, he was told that they had not actually set a court date for his case. So he called to see if there was a warrant for his arrest or if he needed to schedule a court date or anything and from what I understand they basically told him not to worry about it. He did try to get his pistol back, but that didn't work out.
    Something still seems a bit fishy to me though. He's already brushed it off and bought himself a 1911. I hope this has been settled but only time will tell I guess.

Thanks to everyone who posted for their support and thoughts, opinions, info, etc.

Last edited:

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    My apologies for not returning sooner and for reviving a month old thread. My friend hired a lawyer and went to the court house on the time he was told. But when he got to the court house, he was told that they had not actually set a court date for his case. So he called to see if there was a warrant for his arrest or if he needed to schedule a court date or anything and from what I understand they basically told him not to worry about it. He did try to get his pistol back, but that didn't work out.
    Something still seems a bit fishy to me though. He's already brushed it off and bought himself a 1911. I hope this has been settled but only time will tell I guess.

Thanks to everyone who posted for their support and thoughts, opinions, info, etc.

So his lawyer didn't know there was not a court date set either. What's going on up there?:D

Kind of seems that a hired attorney would certainly know that there was a court date or not and when that time was (or not).

Thanks for coming back and letting us know. I hate when we don't get an update on these sorts of things. But it just get's curiouser and curiouser:):

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    Ouch. Class 4 Felony. Goodbye guns.

Yeah Ouch!

My Best Friend is a Cop in Lansing, IL and always Stresses to NEVER bring any of my Guns in Illinois, unless stored properly.

Mag, ammo, and Gun Stored seperatly and out of reach from vehicle occupants

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    I shudder to think of all the times I've just popped over the line for lunch or something when I used to work occasionally on the west side of the state. I usually had a gun in my car, and I had no idea of the harsh penalties back then. Stupid. Lucky.

cowgirl.sdm

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Johnson County
    Thanks for the update, but have him make SURE a bench warrant for failure to appear never gets issued over the next few months. These things have a nasty tendency to bite one on the ass later.

This is true, they have 7 years to bring it back up. Make sure he keeps in touch with the court and checks every few months. I have personally seen them file a case a year later and the person got a failure to appear because they were unaware.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    The Main thing is the Main thing:

"Breaking the law" or not, it is NOT this hapless Joe against Illannoy; it is Illiannoy against ALL of us who believe that the ENTIRE Constitution covers ALL of us in ALL of its amendments. Illlannoy is doing the law-breaking in this case; no state law can trump the Constitution. Yet. EBG.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    "Breaking the law" or not, it is NOT this hapless Joe against Illannoy; it is Illiannoy against ALL of us who believe that the ENTIRE Constitution covers ALL of us in ALL of its amendments. Illlannoy is doing the law-breaking in this case; no state law can trump the Constitution. Yet. EBG.

It already does in most States, hence the little pieces of pink paper that is required.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    I like that little pink paper;

When I show it to LEO, all their questions about "whether / what if / as per" immediately cease. What power there is in LAW!!! We must assure that "... in MOST states..." is not enough. Universal Federal Carry as administered by the states, NOT the Feds. !!
    It already does in most States, hence the little pieces of pink paper that is required.

Top Bottom