• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Nice folks tonight. Hate to complain, but I'm going to anyway...
    1) plate rack might need some adjustment, or maybe it was leaning forward a little. numerous hits with 22 failed to knock the plates down - I saw this with at least three different shooters, so it wasn't just me.
    2) please, please bring at least 3 or 4 magazines. 3 shooters on my squad had only 2 mags; waiting for people to reload mags during their strings really bogs things down. Perhaps this needs to be enforced as a rule; <3 mags = no shoot.
    3) several people bolted before teardown - some of them went to shoot in the bays while the rest of us put stuff away - rude.

Sorry for the rant, but it could have gone more smoothly with the small crowd.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Warning: I've never shot fns so if these questions are stupid, flame away.

What kind of distances are you guys shooting?
    Target sizes at distances?
    Equipment needed so I'm not "that guy"?
    # of rounds needed?
    Is brass chasing allowed at the end of the event?

I'd like to come sometime, but I'd like to know I will at least have the right stuff and be profecient at the distances you guys are shooting.

Thank you.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Warning: I've never shot fns so if these questions are stupid, flame away.

What kind of distances are you guys shooting?
    Target sizes at distances?
    Equipment needed so I'm not "that guy"?
    # of rounds needed?
    Is brass chasing allowed at the end of the event?

I'd like to come sometime, but I'd like to know I will at least have the right stuff and be profecient at the distances you guys are shooting.

Thank you.

Distances vary, but most targets are at about 10 yards.
    Target sizes vary, depending on how the stages are set up. Some are large, some are as small as 8".
    Most folks shoot semi-auto pistols, but revolvers and semi-auto rifles are allowed. Some of the revolver guys are really good.
    A typical stage involves 5-6 hits, and you shoot three individually-timed strings. So, you should have a minimum of 3 magazines (or speedloaders), and 4 is better (at least for me).
    Minimum round count is generally around 90 if you never miss, but it's best to bring about 200.
    Brass pickup is allowed. Sometimes it's after each stage, and sometimes it's after the end of the match, depending on how crowded it is.
    To avoid being "that guy", be proficient in SAFELY handling your gun and bring at least 3 magazines. Shooting skill is optional, as there is a 30 second limit on each string.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Lp1 thank you. I meet that criteria and it sounds like I'd enjoy it.

To you and anyone else:
    FNS is one of the very best ways to compete for the first time! Everyone is very friendly and helpful. As long as you're SAFE, they'll help baby step you along as much as you need. It's very very new-guy friendly! Also gal friendly! and a few kids!

You can go to youtube and see a lot of videos of different stages and get a general idea of how things progress.

I've brought shooters for the first time who got several 30 second strings(and bruised pride!) but they came back because they wanted more! I've only seen a couple stages that are challenging from a shooting standpoint(the Dreaded Plate Rack!). It's more of a case where it's "just easy enough to screw up". You try to go too fast, or forget your fundamentals.

Make sure your gun hits where you point it, if you can.

Then, bring an UNLOADED!!!!!!!!! gun, as many magazines as you can(3 minimum, 5 is better), eye and ear protection, a pile of ammo(at least 200 or 250), and a can-do attitude. You'll have a great time and be properly addicted like everyone else.

Better yet, bring a wheel gun and you don't need no stinkin magazines! :D

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Also, i thought rather than reloading mags, you shot what you had and took 30's for the rest? It certainly wasn't worth enforcing last night! but i thought that was the official stance.

Don Parks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Thanks to the guys who came early to help with set up, and to the ROs and a special thanks to Larry and Marcel for filling in while Craig is out of town.
    Hope to see you in two weeks

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Also, i thought rather than reloading mags, you shot what you had and took 30's for the rest? It certainly wasn't worth enforcing last night! but i thought that was the official stance.

As stated above new shooter friendly, the RO's job is safety first and foremost then ensuring the smooth running of his squad. If we had 60 shooters I'm sure the RO would have ensured nothing caused hold ups.

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    As always had a good time even though my 22 could not drop one of the plates still have fun thanks to all the ROs and thanks Don see every body next time

Top Bottom