• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Sorry to hear that folks had a hard time getting there by 6 last night; the construction sure has slowed travel down in that area. I had to work until 4:45 in Westfield, and I figured that I wouldn't be able to make it to the match on time either.

I talked to Don and Anton after the match, and they let me know that they were short of help when setting up the match even though there were quite a few people sitting around. Don and Anton (plus our usual cast of regulars) really work hard to make FNS possible, and any way additional volunteers can step up and help (especially with setup) would be much appreciated. I think we had a perfect storm of Summer burn-out (too many matches, too little time), highschool football opener, construction, and people being a little burned out. Next time, anything folks can do to pitch in and help would be much appreciated.

I've seen far too many good folks (David Ball at WVPPS, Mike Thompson at ACC, etc.) get burned out because they shoulder more than their fair share of the load, and coming to matches just turns into another (UNPAID) job for them. My goal is to ensure our Match Directors and volunteers don't get burned out, so that we can continue to hold the high quality matches that we've come to expect. Please keep in mind that without guys like Don, Anton, Burl, Dom, Marcell, Adam, etc. that we wouldn't be able to have a match, and the Central Indiana shooting community would be less for their absence.

I don't officially get off work until 1745 , sometimes I can sneak out at 1730 but that is dependent on unreliable relief . When I get out at 1730, and there is no construction, I can just make the shooters meeting.
    With traffic on the West side the way it is now it is next to impossible to make it.
    I appreciate all the work that goes into putting on a match and I agree that the same folks are often stuck setting up.
    I would love to make every FNS , I would like to be early so I can help set up, but if I don't have Friday off I can't do it . A big thank you to those that can.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    While I've helped out several times in the past, last night I was with several of my inlaws from Crawfordsville that had to get back home. We had to head out as soon as we were finished because of that. My nephew did ask if he could help with set up but was told at that time they hadn't decided what targets they were going to shoot.:dunno:

I WILL make a point of assisting in either set up or take down next time around to help out. :yesway: Thanks to everyone for a fun shoot last night. Could not have asked for better weather either.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    While I've helped out several times in the past, last night I was with several of my inlaws from Crawfordsville that had to get back home. We had to head out as soon as we were finished because of that. My nephew did ask if he could help with set up but was told at that time they hadn't decided what targets they were going to shoot.:dunno:

I WILL make a point of assisting in either set up or take down next time around to help out. :yesway: Thanks to everyone for a fun shoot last night. Could not have asked for better weather either.

Thank you. We will work harder to make sure we can take advantage of the additional volunteers next time. It's important that we are organized, so that when people offer their help, that we're ready to take advantage of it. Thanks for the feedback.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    We come / carpool from I65 & Southport Road, and traffic is typically not that bad, but of course, I am a Professional Driver:rockwoot: (inside joke)

We leave at 5:00-5:-10pm and we never arrive later than 5:45... yesterday we left at 5:00pm and arrived at 5:30

We'll try to come earlier to help set up more often, my son Austin enjoyed helping as did I, the kid loves to help, help other people, not so much me:n00b:

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We come / carpool from I65 & Southport Road, and traffic is typically not that bad, but of course, I am a Professional Driver:rockwoot: (inside joke)

We leave at 5:00-5:-10pm and we never arrive later than 5:45... yesterday we left at 5:00pm and arrived at 5:30

We'll try to come earlier to help set up more often, my son Austin enjoyed helping as did I, the kid loves to help, help other people, not so much me:n00b:

Thanks so much; we appreciate the help. As we continue to grow, we're going to have these growing pains and I just want to make sure we don't burn anybody out.

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    Thanks so much; we appreciate the help. As we continue to grow, we're going to have these growing pains and I just want to make sure we don't burn anybody out.

I definitely agree with the possibilty of burn out, I personally think that having FNS twice a month (I believe this year is the first time ever? Correct me if I am wrong) went pretty well. It seems that filling all of the RO spots and so on seem to be the hardest to get done. I can imagine that RO'ing every match could get tiring. But from what I saw this summer a lot of new people have been RO'ing. That's great for growth and depth of FNS.

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    We get 50-60 guns per match and need 8 people to run it (Match Director, registrar, scorekeeper, & 5 RO"S. Only 15% of the attendees need to volunteer. shouldn't be that hard to fill the spots. I offer to RO every match , it's rarely I'm not needed. I'm happy to help, but its nice to just shoot.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We get 50-60 guns per match and need 8 people to run it (Match Director, registrar, scorekeeper, & 5 RO"S. Only 15% of the attendees need to volunteer. shouldn't be that hard to fill the spots. I offer to RO every match , it's rarely I'm not needed. I'm happy to help, but its nice to just shoot.

Thank you guys for the positive feedback, and for offering to help. We will definitely take you up on the offer at the next match. I was hoping that we didn't sound like a bunch of whiners (I hate that) but I just wanted to let people know we need to spread the load better.

Since we didn't get a scorekeeper to volunteer for the match (our usuals Adam and Marcell couldn't make it to the match) the scores will be out later than normal (likely Monday or Tuesday). Anton was kind enough to add this task on top of his already busy schedule of Club Secretary, Match Director, RO, Dad, and 60 hours per week at work. When I see guys like Anton offering to help despite their extremely busy schedules, it just reaffirms my position that we've got to get more volunteers to help.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I R.O.'d for the first time last night (after assisting a half dozen times) and it was less stressful than I expected. Thanks to everyone in my group for being patient with me...I had a great group with a few new shooters and everything went very smoothly. See you all there next time!

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I R.O.'d for the first time last night (after assisting a half dozen times) and it was less stressful than I expected. Thanks to everyone in my group for being patient with me...I had a great group with a few new shooters and everything went very smoothly. See you all there next time!

Thanks for helping! It definitely takes focus to RO well, but once you get used to it, most people like it. Just make sure you take enough time for yourself. It is important that the assistant RO's are there to handle the RO responsibilities when you need to get ready to shoot, load mags, etc.

Don Parks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Thanks to Larry who was the RO in the group that I shot with he did a great job. I think it was his first time to RO also.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Anton Your rock thanks for the hard work.

#1 overall, not the fastest overall on any single stage, proving that consistency counts. Hopefully I can pick up my time by having fewer misses and getting use to my new FNS gun.

Great meeting everyone there had a great time hope to see you all again.

carbine.shooters

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Match on the 9?

I just looked at the web-site and it shows a match this Friday on the 9th...is that still the case? Also, this is my first FNS event and I wanted to confirm it would be ok to run my 9mm semi-auto uzi?

Thanks,
    Mike

Top Bottom