Frequent out of state travel question...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My job will have me traveling back and forth to Georgia for the next few months pretty frequently. I want to carry while down there. I have no problem following the rules on checking my weapon so it can fly with me...I just dont want to have to do it twice a week, every week flying back and forth.

So what would INGO's suggestions be as to me keeping a weapon in GA?

I will be staying in the same hotel/area during each trip. So I was thinking of obtaining some sort of lock box, safety deposit box, PO box, storage locker or something that I could keep a weapon in while im back in Indiana.

Does anyone have in experience with this...suggestions!?

:popcorn:

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    No experience, but you might look into getting a safe deposit box at a nearby bank and leaving it there.

I've never had one, so besides what you see on the movies I dont know how they operate....but am I going to get the police called on me every week because theres a guy in the bank with a loaded gun!?!?!

Im being sarcastic, but the question is valid

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I've never had one, so besides what you see on the movies I dont know how they operate....but am I going to get the police called on me every week because theres a guy in the bank with a loaded gun!?!?!

Im being sarcastic, but the question is valid
    Basically, you rent the box from the bank and receive a key. The box requires 2 keys to open, the 2nd key is kept by the bank. When you want to access your box you show your ID and sign in. The bank clerk uses their key and yours to access the box and leaves the room. you then can open the box and take or add items as you wish. No one else should be in the room with you. My bank even has a small "privacy room" where you can take your box if you wish. When you are done take the box back and you and the clerk close the door and retrieve your keys. To rent a box you will probably have to start an account with that bank, the boxes usually rent for 6 mo or a year.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I knew of a California landlord who owned commercial properties in Texas. Every month he would fly in, stop by the bank to get his Beretta 9mm from the safe deposit box in the privacy room, go collect his rent, bring the rent back to the bank and put the gun back in the deposit box.

You'd be surprised how many gun owners keep a gun (especially one of high value) in a safe deposit box.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    As someone who does this to Houston - a lot... here's something to consider. Are you using a rental car while you are there? When I know I'm going to be in an area on an assignment for a while, I will either rent a car for a month at a time, or I will drive a personal car down there for the duration of the assignment. It is often cheaper to do that and pay for the parking at the Houston Airport than to pay for the WEEKLY car rental, even for the four days I'm there.

I tend to lock up my suitcase in the trunk - so I don't have to carry much through the airport each week. I don't carry in Texas, but if I wanted to, I would likely lock it up with the stuff in my car and all would be well. Well hidden and locked, of course.

versuchstier147

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Indiana
    Why wouldn't you keep it in the room with you? I can understand the safe if you're going somewhere and can't take it with you.. NEVER leave one in a hotel room when you're gone...

Perhaps a shooting range or gun store will allow you to store it?

When I travel, I keep extra guns in the hotel's safe.

E.g., this weekend, I'll be in Dallas, and I always keep my spare pistols in the hotel safe: Downtown Dallas Luxury Hotels- Hyatt Regency Dallas- Texas Luxury Hotel, Suites

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Why wouldn't you keep it in the room with you? I can understand the safe if you're going somewhere and can't take it with you.. NEVER leave one in a hotel room when you're gone...

The problem is what to do with it when you are back in INDIANA (e.g. at your OTHER home...). Yes you can check it and fly with it, but if you try that a few times and travel frequently, you will QUICKLY search for a better method.

When in Georgia or TX or wherever OF COURSE it's with you at all times.

Or did I misunderstand you question??

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

"It"??? Dude, you mean "them". Traveling with just one pistol? *Shudder*

I didn't spend on that time in the library to travel with just one flippin' pistol!

Because I travel with more guns than I carry.

E.g., I usually take a suppressed .22 pistol with me for target shooting, but I do not carry it.

Or, I take multiple 1911s (one is none, two is one, three is better). I only carry one and the other is a back up so I lock it up in the hotel safe while I am cutting it real smooth on a Dallas dance floor.:D

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    . So I was thinking of obtaining some sort of lock box, safety deposit box, PO box, storage locker or something that I could keep a weapon in while im back in Indiana.

Does anyone have in experience with this...suggestions!?

:popcorn:
    STAY AWAY FROM THE PO BOX IDEA. Thats just going to cause you all kinds of problems. I'd probably go with the safety deposit box. Google "Day Planner Holster". Use that while carrying the firearm inside the bank. That will draw very little attention to you and what you are really carrying.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom