• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    I was digging around in my girlfriends parents garage looking for some plywood, when I found an old bucket.

Upon closer inspection, this bucket contained 1100 rounds of .22lr ammo!

1000 of it is Remington 40 grain, and another 100 is Winchester 40 grain.

My question; is it safe to use?

The ammo itself looks fine. It was stored in plastic containers, which do look pretty old. I opened the plastic and the ammo looks brand new, not a spec of dirt to be found anywhere. Is it safe to fire out of my .22? I have a Marlin model 60. It's not picky about ammo, I've tried a few kinds and it shoots basically anything. If you need pictures, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Shouldn't be any problem. I have been using ammo that is date marked 1952 and it shoots just like "new" stuff.

I have a Marlin 60 too, and it is an excellent bullet disposal. One of the few semi-autos I have seen that is not at all ammo sensitive. I wouldn't have any problem using the ammo you found.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I bet it's just fine from your description. You need to run thru a bunch of it and see what it does.

I wish one of these "Found Ammo" posts would be about something like some 20mm HEIT chaingun ammo or similar. But then that might land someone in the pen.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I was digging around in my girlfriends parents garage looking for some plywood, when I found an old bucket.

Upon closer inspection, this bucket contained 1100 rounds of .22lr ammo!

1000 of it is Remington 40 grain, and another 100 is Winchester 40 grain.

My question; is it safe to use?

The ammo itself looks fine. It was stored in plastic containers, which do look pretty old. I opened the plastic and the ammo looks brand new, not a spec of dirt to be found anywhere. Is it safe to fire out of my .22? I have a Marlin model 60. It's not picky about ammo, I've tried a few kinds and it shoots basically anything. If you need pictures, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Should be fine, I know the Army recently was using ammo left from WWII in the .50 cals and I know I had gotten some of that ammo and it functioned just fine. If you already have a rifle that fires most everything, should be all good to go.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just keep an ear out for squib loads. Anything that sounds or feels under-powered should be a call to check the bore for obstructions!

jLr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    To my knowledge, it wouldn't be necessarily dangerous to fire old ammunition, right? Only issue I know of is it maybe collecting too much moisture and not firing at all.

finn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    I had some .22 rounds that were at least 35 years old and didn't have a bit of trouble out of them. They were stored in my parents garage in a cardboard box. I think that since yours were in a pail you should be safe. My question is why in the world were you looking in pails for plywood?

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I just started running some .22's from my Boy Scout days. Uh, I think that was about 40-50 years ago. (I can't remember) But I do know this: ammo is A-OK. :yesway:

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Just keep an ear out for squib loads. Anything that sounds or feels under-powered should be a call to check the bore for obstructions!
    Agreed......Other than that, shoot 'em up my good man. I have shot Mini -Mags that were marked $2.99 per 100 (if that tells you how old they were) and they all shot great.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Willphill12
    Top Bottom