• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So I carry a Glock. I switch between a Glock 19 and a Glock 26. In the past, I tried a M&P, but had bad luck with reliability issues. Went back to the Glock.

So today, I went shooting at my family's farm. And I was able to try out a Kimber 1911.

I haven't shot a whole lot of handguns in my lifetime. But, out of the ones I have shot, that Kimber 1911 was the most accurate gun I have ever shot.

I want one. Really bad. And even though I have read and heard that my Glocks are way more reliable, I still can't get over how accurate I was with that 1911.

This sucks.

B267E118-8A29-44CA-A64C-A8C8E9E79B46-28254-00001365E924390D_zpsc37b9a19.jpg

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Yep, 1911s are nice, aren't they?

If you keep it in good condition, it should run without problems. If you find yourself in a situation where you will have to shoot thousands of rounds without stopping or cleaning your gun, then maybe having a Glock will make a difference. But otherwise I am guessing that the statistical difference is so small that I'm willing to take the chance for better accuracy. There are many more experienced people than I am on this forum, so I'm sure they can speak to the strengths and weaknesses of the 1911 better than I can. But I thought I'd point out the funny thing about unreliable 1911s is that they are sometims... more expensive than the reliable 1911s. :) I am guessing that all the work to make the parts zero tolerance, to make it into the perfect race gun, may not be good for reliability.

I keep ragging on Glocks for being so ugly, but I think they're perfectly fine guns. Then again, I also think the same of other modern, proven pistols.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    People generally shoot 1911s better because the trigger is light and has very little if any over travel. Try a Glock with a really good trigger and you might be surprised how much it improves your accuracy. You can PM me if you want more info.

NRA Life member GSSF member
    Gunsite graduateCertified Glock armorer
    1911 Mechanic NRA pistol instructor

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My 1911's run as good as most any Glock. No knock on them but the new 1911's are just sweet. Kimber is not the only name to look into. Try a few. It is the trigger and the ergonomics of the gun.

Keep the glock. Buy a 1911.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    People generally shoot 1911s better because the trigger is light and has very little if any over travel. Try a Glock with a really good trigger and you might be surprised how much it improves your accuracy. You can PM me if you want more info.

This is very true.

But they do not get any prettier.....really.............;)

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Find an accurate gun and it will become your constant companion. My most accurate gun is a Ruger police service six. I will never sell it, it is my go to gun in any situation.
    a032.jpg

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Kimber

So I carry a Glock. I switch between a Glock 19 and a Glock 26. In the past, I tried a M&P, but had bad luck with reliability issues. Went back to the Glock.

So today, I went shooting at my family's farm. And I was able to try out a Kimber 1911.

I haven't shot a whole lot of handguns in my lifetime. But, out of the ones I have shot, that Kimber 1911 was the most accurate gun I have ever shot.

I want one. Really bad. And even though I have read and heard that my Glocks are way more reliable, I still can't get over how accurate I was with that 1911.

This sucks.

View attachment 20336 [/QUOTE ] A couple of thoughts. Think about changing your grip. Your left (weak hand) should be parallel to the target line - not "under" the gun as it shows in the picture. I think you will find that type of grip will improve your shooting.

Next, yes Kimber's are great but pricey. Think about a Springfield Armory Range Officer if you want a 1911 platform that is a very accurate gun. Not "just accurate for the money" but simply very accurate regardless of the price. A new R.O. will run in the $700 - $800 range. Quite a bit less than the Kimber. As far as resale of the two guns - the Springfield won' appeal to the Kimber crowd and the Kimber won't appeal to the Springfield budget minded.

YMMV

Fester

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Greenfield
    When buying a handgun last year at Pop's guns, I tried out a Glock but it jammed on me 3 times when firing a mere 50 rounds. That caused me to swing towards my Kimber that is my favorite handgun in the house. It is the most accurate of what I owe. I purchased a Springfield XDS which is my carry weapon, however, I always fire low at the range. Ready to trade it in after 4 months for a Kimber carry.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Have you ever tried the 1911's little brother? I am a huge fan of the Hi-Power. 13 round 9mm mag. Very accurate. You would not even have to change calibers. You must remove the mag safety though, if you want the better trigger pull. Very simple process.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Have you ever tried the 1911's little brother? I am a huge fan of the Hi-Power. 13 round 9mm mag. Very accurate. You would not even have to change calibers. You must remove the mag safety though, if you want the better trigger pull. Very simple process.

I have had 2 Hi-Powers and the trigger just does not suit me. Then there is the whole 9mm thing..............:):

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have had 2 Hi-Powers and the trigger just does not suit me. Then there is the whole 9mm thing..............:):

I understand if you prefer .45, but did you remove the mag safties? The trigger is way better after removing the mag safety.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Are you going to be shooting NRA Bullseye competitions now? If so, the 1911 is a great choice.

I'm not, so I'll stick to carrying my Glock.

I'll take reliable and accurate enough over the ability to hit a quarter ;)

BTW, you think a Kimber is nice, wait until you shoot a Wilson Combat!

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Go to an IDPA match, and watch how many Kimber's have issue's of all sorts. That the more reasonably price guns being used don't.
    At our local IDPA matches, the few Kimbers there, some can't even load and make ready reliably.

A Ruger SR1911 for $650ish works just fine and dandy.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

I'd be interested in that. I'll send ya a PM.

Are you going to be shooting NRA Bullseye competitions now? If so, the 1911 is a great choice.

I'm not, so I'll stick to carrying my Glock.

I'll take reliable and accurate enough over the ability to hit a quarter ;)

BTW, you think a Kimber is nice, wait until you shoot a Wilson Combat!

I don't plan on doing matches or anything like that. Just saying I was extremely surprised on how much better I was able to shoot a 1911. It makes me want to buy one.

Never said I'd quit carrying my Glock. But, it does make me wish I was as accurate with my Glock like I was with that 1911.

Top Bottom