• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    Got the news that former Governor Otis Bowen passed away yesterday. I got to know him later in his life and his presence will be missed in our community.

He seemed to be one of the last true conservatives that governed our state. We could use a few more like him.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This is sad to hear. He truly was the last of his kind, and I doubt that a man of similar character will ever be elected governor again.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Wow I figured he was long gone ,he was Gov when I was in grade school, i think about 3rd grade we as a class sent him a letter.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    I was very lucky to meet this man when I was young and wide-eyed, doing work for the GOP in Indiana and nationwide. I was involved with research and writing position papers, etc., back in those days. I also had the chance to reminisce with him about those days when he spoke at my uncle's funeral in 1986. He was at HHS at that time. Some in this thread have suggested that we will not see the likes of this man again. If you only knew how correct you are. May he eternally RIP.

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    He did nothing when Evan Byah killed his girlfriend.

Evan Bayh killed the Doc's girlfriend, holy *****. No wonder he never got the VP nod.:rolleyes:

It was actually his daddy that was alleged to have had a fling with a young woman who ended up murdered. Birch, and his best bud Teddy Kennedy were not known as paragons of marital virtue or for their stellar treatment of dying women.

RIP Doc. We need more people in political office like him.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I was very lucky to meet this man when I was young and wide-eyed, doing work for the GOP in Indiana and nationwide. I was involved with research and writing position papers, etc., back in those days. I also had the chance to reminisce with him about those days when he spoke at my uncle's funeral in 1986. He was at HHS at that time. Some in this thread have suggested that we will not see the likes of this man again. If you only knew how correct you are. May he eternally RIP.

I knew the score leading up to the 2004 election when he endorsed a most excellent candidate for governor, and 90 of Indiana's 92 Republican county chairmen refused to allow Eric Miller to even speak at party gatherings from the moment Bush endorsed Mitch Daniels who was a far inferior candidate. If we couldn't get a good candidate on the ticket with such an endorsement at what should have been a perfect time, it will never happen again. Add to this that the number of people who produce value shrinks every year as the number of people who vote for a living increases, and we find a situation in which it is not possible to recover or to have quality leaders elected to office. In the end, those who are willing and capable of doing anything useful will either go Galt, engage in an activity starting with an 'r', discussion of which is prohibited on INGO, or live out their lives as de facto slaves working but not receiving the reward of their work by virtue of the number of freeloaders they support.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    I knew the score leading up to the 2004 election when he endorsed a most excellent candidate for governor, and 90 of Indiana's 92 Republican county chairmen refused to allow Eric Miller to even speak at party gatherings from the moment Bush endorsed Mitch Daniels who was a far inferior candidate. If we couldn't get a good candidate on the ticket with such an endorsement at what should have been a perfect time, it will never happen again. Add to this that the number of people who produce value shrinks every year as the number of people who vote for a living increases, and we find a situation in which it is not possible to recover or to have quality leaders elected to office. In the end, those who are willing and capable of doing anything useful will either go Galt, engage in an activity starting with an 'r', discussion of which is prohibited on INGO, or live out their lives as de facto slaves working but not receiving the reward of their work by virtue of the number of freeloaders they support.

Agreed. Whether nationally or at the state level, the GOP machine has been corrupted with those who will never again allow those who make up the rank-and-file of the party have the conservative candidate they so desperately want. The national GOP despised Ronald Reagan and fought viciously to keep him from being the 1980 nominee. Once Reagan was gone, they vowed that no force on Earth would ever let another true conservative be the party's nominee. So far, they have kept their word. Most recently, the uninformed have probably concluded that it was the liberal left who outed/created the "other woman" info regarding Herman Cain. Nonsense. It was our own supposed party leaders. The same works at the state level in most of our strongholds, including Indiana. Miller had no chance. The machine would never allow it.

Top Bottom