• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Anyone out there have the Ford 7.3 powerstroke with a aftermarket chip or tuner? My dad is looking into getting a tuner for his 2000 F250 and I'm mostly looking at the higher model Edge tuner. Any other recommendations out there?

One thing that is a must is a tune for better fuel economy. The upgraded power tunes are mostly a bonus or for when I'd drive it :D

dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    +1 on the DP Tuner. I have the F5 which is an older, most basic model on my 2000 F250, and its absolutely great. If your willing to throw down a little extra coin you can get some pretty great features like the ability to have new tunes emailed to you then you download the tune file onto your chip from home as opposed to mailing it to Georgia like the one I have.

Another thing I like is the pillar pod controller. I have a manual trans so I dont need a trans temp gauge leaving me an extra hole in my 3 slot pillar pod, they make a controller that goes in instead of a gauge.

feel free to drop me a pm if you want to know anything else about them, or if you need help installing should you decide to purchase one.

Last edited:

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Try Power Hungry Performance - Feed your hunger for POWER! They do custom tuning on fords gas and diesel and get awesome reviews.

One of my buddies who owns a Powerstroke uses PHP. He recently got his retuned but I haven't got a chance to ask him how it's doing. He mainly wanted to get the "whisper" tune for his truck.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNlsV-ISj9c]YouTube - Power Hungry Performance - Whisper Mode[/ame]

Aaron B.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    SE MI
    Spartan specializes in the 6.4 and 6.7, they do very little with the 7.3. The general concensus among owners is that you'll be happier with a custom tuner over a generic box tuner, i.e the Edge, Superchips, etc. I'd start researching Power Hungry Performance, DP-Tuner, Tony Wildman, Bean's Diesel, and I'm sure you'll run across others. There are a ton of reviews for each company on the various diesel forums.

When the time comes for me to order a tuner, I'll most likely go with PHP. That is with a grain of salt however, since that decision is only based on research and reading reviews. I think they do a more thorough job addressing the complete operating system of the 7.3.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    I have used superchips tuners in my 97 auto 7.3 and my 05 6.0 felt less change in the 7.3 but milage in the auto I put it in did improve, but never to the point of my 5 speed 95 7.3.
    I think the 7.3 is a good enough motor that the tuners have less room to improve (unless you upgrade exhaust, turbo, air intake etc) In my 05 6.0 the tuner and the air force air cleaner helped that motor soooo much but that may be do to it being a dog from the factory. No matter what keep that 7.3 they are a great motor and I regret selling mine :(

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Edge Products 15001 - Edge Ford Powerstroke Evolution Programmers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

This is the one Edge tuner I was looking at. The one with the dash mounted control box/guage readouts. It even comes with an EGT probe as well.

BD Diesel 1054870 - BD Diesel Ultra X-Tuners - Overview - SummitRacing.com

And this was the BD tuner I was also looking at. I've got an SCT XCal2 for my car and know I can get the tunes for it via email as well. As I'm sure you can for most of the others. I just wasn't sure which way to go.

Hard part is, dad is moreso on the cheap side. He didn't mind the price of these two, but didn't like the idea of paying more. It will be getting a highflow intake, and exhaust in the future. This is just a start.

Also this is for the 6 spd manual :D I will have to look into some of those other tuners and see what I can find out.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    One of my buddies who owns a Powerstroke uses PHP. He recently got his retuned but I haven't got a chance to ask him how it's doing. He mainly wanted to get the "whisper" tune for his truck.

YouTube - Power Hungry Performance - Whisper Mode

After checking out their website I'm liking the sound of the 6 position chip. We would both appreciate the whisper mode as well. We're getting tired of having to shut off the truck so they can hear us. Let me know what your buddy thinks about his.

Top Bottom