• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I travel (work) in Michigan. I recently found out that it is LAW that if you have any official business with an officer (getting pulled over), and you are carrying, you must inform the officer. I asked a Sheriff about the proper procedure and he said when you hand over your Drivers license, also hand over you CCW. Inform the officer that you are carrying and ask them what they want you to do. Just follow their instructions.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Yep. Ohio is a similar situation, for those of us that have permits/licenses that can carry in Ohio.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Many states, I believe, have a rule that you must notify upon contact.. and the way they talk it, they make you feel like you have to everywhere. With as many folks as there are that think Indiana issues a CCW Permit, there are probably a lot that think you must notify here as well..

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Many states, I believe, have a rule that you must notify upon contact.. and the way they talk it, they make you feel like you have to everywhere. With as many folks as there are that think Indiana issues a CCW Permit, there are probably a lot that think you must notify here as well..

IBT correction.

LTCH not a permit.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    That was my point, Patience - how many times have you heard someone call it a "Permit"? I've been at the sheriff's department and heard seasoned deputies call it a "Concealed Carry Permit". It's an entirely common mistake to hear about, isn't it?

Heck, how many folks have had a LTCH for YEARS and still call it their CCW Permit/License/etc?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I thought I read a Michigan case a while back where it was deemed that simply handing over one's LTCH with the driver's license was NOT sufficient to satisfy the Mich. requirement of informing the officer.

Maybe someone will be around to provide the reference (or correct/clarify this).

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    "Hello Officer. Before we go any further, I would like to inform you that I have a valid Indiana LTCH, and am currently carrying a pistol on my right hip. How would you like to proceed?"

This is almost verbatim what they taught us when I took the Michigan CPL class a few years back. I would also recommend before anyone travels to another state, that they fully research the carry laws of that state. Ignorance won't get you a free pass.

Check out these links:
    USA Carry
    Handgunlaw.us

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    "Hello Officer. Before we go any further, I would like to inform you that I have a valid Indiana LTCH, and am currently carrying a pistol on my right hip, and another on my right ankle. I also have an AK47 in my trunk, as well as a 12 gauge shotgun. Beyond that, I currently have a revolver in the glove box and another pistol in a lock box under the driver's seat. Oh, and a crossbow and an AR15 on the rear floor and some hand grenades in the backseat. How would you like to proceed?"

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    I lived in Michigan for several years and mostly just kept to myself out on the farm and the "neighborhood" if I went to town for anything I put the shotgun in the truck because at the time i moved there I had my Indiana License to carry for so long I felt their class requirement was a joke for someone who had been carrying for so long already. Before I sold the place here in Indiana and became a " Real" citizen of Michigan I used my Indiana info and license to carry there. I spent more time here than I did there since I was building my new slaughterhouse on the farm and restoring the farm house there. Anyway, I was pulled over two times there and involved in an auto rollover and was involved in a rear end collision both accidents LEO were present. During one pullover I didnt inform but durkng the other I did as the cop seemed jumpy and young. During the one where I did inform I simply explakned tk the young man who had his hand on his pistol already that I would hand him my DL and LTCH then if he didnt mind I would like to set my pistol on the passenger seat and let his FTO take it from there. I saw the more experienced officer nod when he heard me so thats what we did. He removed the magazine cleared the chamber thanked me and set my pistol back kn the seat. He then tlld the younger officer tk give my DL and LTCH back told me to have a nice night and take it slower to enjoy the drive
    During the rollover I was picking things up frkm the wreck and fished my 92fs out of the debris(safariland hoslter did NOT keep it on my hip) when I checked it over and reholstered it the Ottawa Co deputy on scene asked if I was licensed to carry, I said yes ma'am in my best Indiana draw, she smiled and said ok then.
    During the rear end collision I was being placed on a backboard with a neck brace and the Ottawa Co Deputy on that scene asked what he should do with my car and my pistol. I told him I had friends coming to take the car to their garage but if possible I wanted the pistol with me. The ambulance said they thought the had rules against it but they couldnt remember for sure and they didnt think the hospital would want me to have it there either. The deputy asked if they thought I would be admitted and the Paramedic said he could not be sure. The deputy brought my messenger bag to the ambulance and told me NOT to let anyone else take it unless it was somekne I trusted. On my way home I found the 92fs in a zippered part.of the bag on the inside.
    Just last summer I was.pulled over for 70 in a 55 headed north on 31 between Holland and Grand Haven just before M45. The trooper dropped my speed to 60, asked for the registration and my DL, noticed my double spare magazines on the left hip as my shirt came up over them while reaching for the glove box. He said "Whatcha carrying?" I told him a fullsize Springfield XD in .45 ACP, we talked about it for a few minutes and he said he had thought about buying one. I offered mine to him for a touchy feely but he declined. He came back to the car with a warnjng and a receit for my 100.00 bond smiled big and said " Just one more question. How the hell did you shoehorn your big ass jnto this little bitty car?" I was driving my wife's Cobalt (now replaced with a jeep commander), I told him lots of grease and a running start. He laughed all the way back to his car.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I got pulled over in MI once and luckily had just read up on their must inform law. I saw the officer turning around to get me so I was pulled over by the time his lights came on and had my license and ltch out the window by the time he got there. I said "due to Michigan state law I am to inform you that I have a firearm on my person, 2 more in that bag on the floorboard, and 5 or 6 rifles in the back. Here is my Indiana License to carry a handgun and drivers license.". He thanked me for the notice and took both licenses and went back to the car. Came back with a warning, asked me what I was carrying and in what, asked me if I liked my holster and sent me on my way. Never once asked to see any of the guns or got bent out of shape at all. It was a very pleasant experience.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    The one that pulled me over sure did. It was nice because a speeding ticket and or unnecessary confiscation of my guns really would have put a damper on the end of my vacation. :)

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    "Hello Officer. Before we go any further, I would like to inform you that I have a valid Indiana LTCH, and am currently carrying a pistol on my right hip. How would you like to proceed?"

This is almost verbatim what they taught us when I took the Michigan CPL class a few years back. I would also recommend before anyone travels to another state, that they fully research the carry laws of that state. Ignorance won't get you a free pass.

Check out these links:
    USA Carry
    Handgunlaw.us
    A most valuable site. They stay updated pretty well also. Every once in a while a state will drop another state as reciprocal because of some minor thing. Then they work it out, kiss and make up. Be sure to not get caught by something like that if you're traveling.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    We travel enough that we go through a lot of states that require informing a LEO that you are carrying. Some say any time you have an official interaction. I assume that would be anything above nodding at a PO as you walk by.

To avoid any problems depending on which state I'm in I will inform no matter where I am. I don't look at doing so when I don't have to as an attack on my gun rights. The cop on the beat or in the car isn't going to take away your rights (regardless of the officer Harlesses in Ohio). It's the ba$t***s in the state houses and the people in black robes we have to fear.

Just inform, be courteous and be on your way.

Top Bottom