• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I didn't look too very hard, but didn't see a thread for this. Let's start a list of all the foods and natural remedies (medicinal plants) that we can find growing in the wilderness of Indiana. I know there is an abundance of fruits, veggies, roots, herbs and shrooms that can be found right under our noses in our own back yards. I think these are probably the best chance for survival in a SHTF situation, since even if we plan on growing our own, we will still need to get through the first growing season or two before anyone sees a sustainable crop..........Please list any knowledge of them that you may have. What they are, what they look like, where and when they can be found and any specific preparation or handling procedures that should be adhered to as well as drying and storage methods preferred. Thanks.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Really? No one has any idea what they can eat from the woods? Come on. SURVIVAL means more than a few weeks worth of canned goods and MREs. This section hits on the "disaster prep" plenty, but really doesn't even begin to touch on the whole SURVIVAL part.

Okay, I'll start. Morel mushrooms, immature fern plants, paw paws.....black walnuts, hickory nuts, sassafras root, ginseng root........

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Cat Tail's can make a tasty treat. Other plants that make good food include... Burdock, Hog Peanut, Prairie Turnip, White Oak, Red Oak, Dandelion, Chicory, Common Milkweed, Stinging Nattle.... Just to name a few. Some can be used for Breadstuffs, others grains and natural greens.

The best Natural food you can find besides animals are any nut trees. Just be sure to inspect the whole nut to make sure a worm or other creature hasn't burrowed into the nut first. If it has a little hole or a crack, it's no good.

I have to say, sassafras tea is my favorite Natural root tea. :D

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Any book recommendations on this subject?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Browns-Field-Guide-Wilderness-Survival/dp/0425105725/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_i]Amazon.com: Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival (9780425105726): Tom Brown: Books[/ame]

I have this book and it is written from the "you've just been dropped naked into the middle of nowhere" point of view.

052.5GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm curious about the oregano oil. It appears to have great antibacterial qualities - but wouldn't be found growing naturally anyway.

Just would like to grow it myself next year. Then press enough to acquire a small vial of oil.

Giant sunflower seeds are going to be planted randomly, too.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I would say there are alot of "remedies" growing in Indiana of the illegal variety.:D

But enough of that, I can remember being a little guy and digging Ginseng root with my grandpa. Anyone ever done this? I cant really say i remember much about it, i just thought it was fun when i was little. Also....What is hogs peanut?

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    The original modern "Old Man of the Woods" was Euell Gibbons. He wrote a couple of books that may be in Amazon or the library.

Bradford Angier wrote "How to stay alive in the woods" which is a classic and has a lot of info.

The military survival manuals have good information.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    This, Piptoporus betulinus, is a fungus that can be found through out much of the USA and has great antibiotic properties. It was known to many Indian tribes who would make a tea from it. Also, Willow bark is where aspirin originated from and can be used in lieu of. Here is an article about it The Greatest Wilderness Medicine that You can Make
    and a simple google search of "willow bark aspirin" will yield a ton of info about it.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Throttle Jockey's OP mentioned SHTF and this being the best way to survive. I have to take issue with this. While these skills are good to have, I believe they will be most useful to supplement you STORED FOOD and MEDS than to replace them.

I guess a lot of it depends on how long you think an emergency will last. While some of us expect temporary interruptions in civilization, others fear years of chaos. Either way, the first year will be the learning curve. That is when you need a good supply of healthy calories to survive the trasition. It is really hard to get enough calories to live off the land when others are competing for them. If the emergency lasts longer than a year, you will have had that year to adjust your habits. diet, hunger and knowledge.

It is usually in the transitions periods, between systems, from order to chaos, from chaos to order, from one regime to another, where it is most dangerous and deadly. People take advantage of chaos and others simply behave erratically under the stress. IF you ever watch a film called EMPIRE OF THE SUN, with John Malkovich, you will see the point I am making about transitions. It deals with European civillians in a Jap POW camp in China and how they adapt and survive, both before, during and after the Jap occupation.

SO....I believe these types of preps are worthy and will be useful as a supplement, but a year of basic food and meds are cheap enough to stock from ALDI that no one should balk at starting a pantry. Just my $.02

Top Bottom