• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeff242

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    Just got a brief introduction to this the other day and it looks very interesting. Any current or past owners who can weight in on what they think? Any problems with it (besides ammo cost)?

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Just got a brief introduction to this the other day and it looks very interesting. Any current or past owners who can weight in on what they think? Any problems with it (besides ammo cost)?

It gets no respect. I had one. Ammo was costly. Decently accurate. Not taken very seriously as a self defense pistol, and many think the ammunition performance is inconsistent. You can only get the sporting rounds (SR197 I think) for the most part. I sold mine.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    It is an interesting gun. Very little recoil, accurate not bad at all.

But, in my opinion is is a solution in search of a problem. If you like it get it.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You can only get the sporting rounds (SR197 I think) for the most part. I sold mine.

I've been purchasing the LF (lead Free) FN ammo and find it to be very consistent.

The SS195LF is a commercially available cartridge that features a lead-free primer and produces ballistics similar to the SS192 round, which it replaced in late 2004.[43] It uses the same 1.8-g (28 grain) copper-jacketed aluminum core bullet as the SS192, and it can be identified by the unmarked, hollow void at the tip and the silver-colored primer.[15] The SS195 is classified by the ATF as not armor-piercing, and it is currently manufactured by FN Herstal in Belgium

That being said. I still stick with my .45 acp weapons for EDC and personal protection. I enjoy shooting the 5.7, but it isn't very cost effective and there are a lot better personal defense rounds out there. If you need more than 9 rounds of .45 acp in a firefight or self defense situation, I don't think 12 more rounds of 5.7 would help too much.......

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    When that guy went nuts in the theater with body armor, I gave it a thought or two. I know that civilians don't get the real penetrating rounds, but handloaded- the right bullet, the right speed and you would have a handgun with a fighting chance against a bad guy's body armor.

Last edited:

jeff242

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    I still stick with my .45 acp weapons for EDC and personal protection. I enjoy shooting the 5.7, but it isn't very cost effective and there are a lot better personal defense rounds out there.

That's interesting. I can't seem to track it down in short order but last night I was looking at a site that seemed to indicate the 5.7 had very good ballistics as a personal defense round. But - I am far from a ballistics expert. As I recall (and what seemed appealing) was that the round would reliably tumble on impact with the ballistics gel, causing damage and force transfer but with little fragmentation or ricochet risk.

I read that (perhaps incorrectly) as an indication that it would make a good defense round. Is that not the case?

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    i think the 5.7 is a very good round. I tumbles when it hits soft tissue, plus if you get some of the SD ammo from elite ammunition, that stuff is sweet (and expensive). but, aside from the gun being rather large and not fitting for me to be an EDC, I have not seen enough stats to change to the caliber. Although, i never felt under gunned when I OCed my fn57. I only sold mine due to the fact that the model i had was one without adjustable sights (non-dovetailed also) and the sights were sighted in for the LE ammo which we cannot get, so the rear sight had to be moved all the way to the right in order for me to hit the target accurately.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    i like the 5.7, i wouldnt get rid of mine, ammo is around 20 bucks for 50 rounds, but reloading would cut costs alot, im very accurate with mine, very accurate... and sights are adjustable, 20 round mag. decent trigger, and has a light rail..,, it could make a good defence gun. i dont use it for defence tho, but i could, as far as dependablily goes, ive never had a hang up and people i know that shoot them also havent had function issues. i guess weather its a good gun for u depends on how much u want to spend and what your going to do with it tho...

Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    I have one and I love it! Very fast round, little recoil, and high cap mag. As far as accuracy, I have hit BMOD silhouette targets at 100yards! You can buy bulk ammo and save money over all. I guess for a pistol the ammo can get expensive, but it cost almost the same as 5.56. Heck, ammo for my S&W 500 cost twice as much!

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I'm happy with mine.

It's not my EDC but it is a fine and reliable weapon. There are many critics of the round but none have volunteered to let me shoot them with it. I have the PS90 and AR version as well. With a 50 round magazine (on them) you don't have to reload very often. Overall a fun firearm.

jeff242

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    Thank for all the comments and feedback. This was really helpful. Not sure I'm getting one but at least I've filled my head with a little more info.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Here's the deal... The gun is most likely one of the most reliable handgun designs on the market right now, and the quality control is downright amazing. It is a futuristic weapon, and one that's so far out there it's nearly a concept weapon. It weighs nothing even loaded 20+1, and it is a tack driver. It has almost no recoil what so ever, and it has a very nice trigger. With adjustable sights, you can pop empty 12 gauge hulls all day long at 30 yards, with nearly boring consistency.

The only real downsides of the gun are 1.) the price, and 2.) the ammunition. Now the terminal effectiveness of the round is something that still has not been established well enough to say it's better or worse than most existing defensive calibers. The most important thing to note here is that the wounds created by the round would certainly be crippling to who ever was hit by them, while they may not drop someone dead where they stand and blow a watermelon sized hole through them, have no doubt that what ever you hit will know it. It's certainly not a 22lr, nor a 22 magnum, I'd say it's in the ballpark of some of the 115gr 9mm loads.

Ultimately though, it all boils down to what you want the gun for. If you want the gun because you want it, then I assure you, that you will not be disappointed by it in any way.

If you want the gun because you have high hopes and sugar coated dreams about what the 5.7x28mm is capable of, I'd advise you to walk away as you will likely never have that dream come true.

All that said, 20+1 in a nearly recoilless, extremely accurate, and very fast shooting handgun that weighs 1.5lb loaded and will function every single time... Well, the effectiveness of the round might just become a little less of a concern for you.

All in all, I've had mine for quite a long time now and love the gun for what it is. I've never regretted buying it, and when I don't feel like carrying around a 1911, I'll usually carry it and I don't feel any worse off.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    When that guy went nuts in the theater with body armor, I gave it a thought or two. I know that civilians don't get the real penetrating rounds, but handloaded- the right bullet, the right speed and you would have a handgun with a fighting chance against a bad guy's body armor.

The infamous Company had taught us to shoot the body mass first then if nothing happen next shot would be the head. Chances are there's no armor for the head.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The infamous Company had taught us to shoot the body mass first then if nothing happen next shot would be the head. Chances are there's no armor for the head.

Agreed, but he had a helmet and I'm not that interested in maneuvering to get face to face if I'm not there already.

Top Bottom