• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    LOL. More swine flu overreaction. Try washing your hands if it is so scary.

Sign of the times: PUC grads tip hats

MERRILLVILLE -- The H1N1 virus continued to hang over Purdue University Calumet's 16th annual December commencement festivities, albeit with a more light-hearted touch.

The 400-plus graduates attending the Tuesday night ceremony at the Radisson Star Plaza were told to place two fingers on their mortar boards as a "tip of the hat" instead of shaking Chancellor Howard Cohen's hand. They were also welcome to bump fists with Cohen if they felt the need, though that would "be done at their own risk."

In all, 507 Purdue Calumet students -- 73 master's degrees candidates, 395 bachelor's degree recipients and 39 associate degree candidates -- are expected out of campus' fall graduating class, pending finals and completion of other course work this week.

Chancellor Cohen encouraged the graduates to stay connected to Purdue. "These are the people who helped you get to this night. They supported you, they questioned you, they helped you focus when you were distracted and they reminded you of your goals," Cohen said. "They are the same people who will help you keep your knowledge from going stale on the shelf."

Outstanding Teaching Award recipient for 2008-2009, electrical engineering professor Dave Kozel, gave the group life lessons for transitioning to the real world. Among them were making sure to make good decisions, lest they end up like certain celebrities who've found themselves in the news for their indiscretions.

"You must be able to forgive yourself and others," Kozel said. "And remember, good things and bad things are going to happen in your life, so be flexible enough to adapt and know the difference."

Engineering graduates Ramgopal Jauhri, Pranil Singh and Hemant Singh, all of Hammond, had double the excitement as Tuesday was the first commencement in which the three had ever participated. What they're not looking forward to is the job search that comes after graduation.

"It's especially hard for international students," Jauhri said. "But we want to get experience before we start our master's in either business or engineering."

The December class increases to more than 42,000 the total degrees awarded at Purdue Calumet.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    They did that when my daughter graduated from IU last spring. Tip of the hat instead of a handshake to the honored grads.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Now after 3 days spent mostly in bed and today about 1/2 in bed and coughing my lungs out, I see no reason to shake hands. Anything to help avoid this nasty H1N1 crap I have is advisable!Yes washing my hands 10 times a day in nothing. And I have a automated hand sanatizer dispenser in my house!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Willphill12
    Top Bottom