• ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    (Reuters) - A federal judge in Florida on Friday ruled that a U.S. law that bars people from possessing firearms in post offices is unconstitutional, citing a landmark U.S. Supreme Court ruling from 2022 that expanded gun rights.

About time this restriction was overturned. I'm sure the "progressives" will waste no time in trying to get this overturned.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    This one just hit the news wires Saturday, Jan 13th.

Before there's too much cheering, this is NOT a nationwide injunction, but the dropping of a charge in a criminal case that thus far only has jurisdiction in said Florida Federal Court District (the one with jurisdiction over Tampa). I do NOT recommend carrying a firearm into a post office. For the time being, you'd end up like the dude in the Florida criminal case.

It is, however, a brick chipped out of the 1972 Post Office Gun Ban law, passed at a time when there was a spate of Postal Employees "Going Postal", shooting supervisors and fellow employees. It will undoubtedly be appealed by the Fed Prosecutor, Garland's DoJ, etc. Stay tuned. Rationale by the Florida District Court was [drum roll; you guessed it] 1791 Text, History and Tradition, at a time when there was absolutely zero prohibition on firearms, or weapons of any other kind, in post offices.

Reuters news article on it . . .
    https://www.reuters.com/world/us/ba...s-unconstitutional-us-judge-rules-2024-01-13/

As a footnote, the defendant allegedly resisted arrest when federal officers attempted to take him into custody. He's still on he hook for that charge. Only the firearm possession charge was dismissed.

Last edited:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    For Reference and Information:
    The law banning weapons in a Post Office isn't in Title 18, USC (the general criminal code). It's in the Federal Code of Regulations (aka FCR). It bans weapons on USPS Property . . . which has been interpreted in the past to include their public parking lots.

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-39/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-232

You have to scroll down to subpart (l), as in lower case "l", to get to the weapons prohibition. They could interpret the mere carrying of any kind of a knife, no matter how small (e.g. a 1" Swiss Army Knife), or a box cutter, as a "deadly weapon". You could slash someone's throat with a tiny 1/4" long blade. Don't underestimate what a Fed Prosecutor with a wild hair up their ass will come up with.

(l) Weapons and explosives. Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Yeah, I hate having to either park off site of the post office, or sneak my gun into the console, before going into the post office, also had to go to the Social Security office here, saw the sign saying it was a federal crime to possess a gun in the building, so I dutifully went to may car and put it in the console...The guard, was cool, and said "I saw what you did, and thank you" he went on to say he thought is was stupid, especially veterans having to do that. To me, the social security office is one place I would rather have a gun...that's just me..
    I hope this sticks, and we can stop losing our rights at the post office door...

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Yeah, I hate having to either park off site of the post office, or sneak my gun into the console, before going into the post office, also had to go to the Social Security office here, saw the sign saying it was a federal crime to possess a gun in the building, so I dutifully went to may car and put it in the console...The guard, was cool, and said "I saw what you did, and thank you" he went on to say he thought is was stupid, especially veterans having to do that. To me, the social security office is one place I would rather have a gun...that's just me..
    I hope this sticks, and we can stop losing our rights at the post office property like Post Office parkings lots, side walks, lawn and inside of that Federal Building.
    FIFY

rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    I've never heard of a postal customer shooting up the place. In my 28 years working at the USPS, we had several incidents of EMPLOYEES shooting up the place. Typical misdirected liberalPUKEism.
    And of course, it never occurs to the anti-gun crowd that if someone decides to go on a shooting spree, they are not going to be dissuaded by a "no guns allowed" sign. But logic has never been their strong suit. :ugh:

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    1705257699416.png

So does the ruling cover just the post office or all the gov buildings we were prohibited from carrying in? How big a beehive did she just kick?

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    There should be a law that if a place you are doing any type of business at and has a no gun policy, thus you are forced to leave it in your car to be potentially stolen. If said firearm is used in a crime, then that place that disarmed you is legally liable. Just my 2 cents.
    If I remember, maybe 20+ years ago, Blockbuster Video banned guns in their stores. Law abiding citizen goes into store, leaves gun in car, and is shot in a robbery inside the store. Blockbuster was deemed liable for the shooting. This memory is vague, someone help me out, please. I believe this was in Texas.

Link here:

Last edited:

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    If I remember, maybe 20+ years ago, Blockbuster Video banned guns in their stores. Law abiding citizen goes into store, leaves gun in car, and is shot in a robbery inside the store. Blockbuster was deemed liable for the shooting. This memory is vague, someone help me out, please. I believe this was in Texas.
    I don't think I heard that story.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

UNITED STATES v. AYALA (2024)​

United States District Court, M.D. Florida,​

UNITED STATES of America, v. Emmanuel AYALA, Defendant.​

Case No: 8:22-cr-369-KKM-AAS​

Decided: January 12, 2024​

Abigail King, Ross Roberts, DOJ-USAO, Tampa Division, Tampa, FL, James A. Muench, U.S. Attorney's Office, Tampa, FL, for United States of America. Stephen Consuegra, Laura Jessica Daines, Federal Defender's Office, Tampa, FL, for Defendant.​

ORDER
    The United States indicted Emmanuel Ayala, a postal worker, for possessing a firearm in a Federal facility in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 930(a). Ayala argues that statute is unconstitutional as applied to him because the historical record does not support a law banning firearms in post offices. See N.Y. State Rifle & Pistol Ass'n v. Bruen, 597 U.S. 1 (2022). Relying on dicta from earlier cases, the United States responds that the Second Amendment allows it to punish the bearing of arms inside any government building. But the Supreme Court has been clear: the government must point to historical principles that would permit it to prohibit firearms possession in post offices. See id. at 17, 24. The United States fails to meet that burden. Thus, I dismiss the § 930(a) charge because it violates Ayala's Second Amendment right to bear arms.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I noticed the Kokomo main post office has removed all the signs and stickers from the building. I wonder if the local PPO is looking to arrest and make a name for himself. I divest myself of all stuff before leaving the house to ship anything and I use USPS exclusively.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom