• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My Alcatel A 405 DL flip phone is pretty old and seems to be getting unreliable. I'm with Tracfone. Anybody have any flip phone recommendations?

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    My Alcatel A 405 DL flip phone is pretty old and seems to be getting unreliable. I'm with Tracfone. Anybody have any flip phone recommendations?
    Was forced by att to stop use of my old 3g phone. They sent there newest version of flip, a Kyocera. Built like a tank, it’s been fine, it has a lot of bells n whistles I don’t use or even know what they are. But it does work well as a phone. My two cents.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So many of the flip phones are very slim and contoured that I have trouble opening them and often drop them. With no extended finger nails they are hard to open. A thicker, blocky cased one would be a lot more usable, even if it upsets the lines of my suit jacket.

Since I only use my phone for talk and text, the "smart phone" features really do not impress me, even though I have one.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    So many of the flip phones are very slim and contoured that I have trouble opening them and often drop them. With no extended finger nails they are hard to open. A thicker, blocky cased one would be a lot more usable, even if it upsets the lines of my suit jacket.

Since I only use my phone for talk and text, the "smart phone" features really do not impress me, even though I have one.
    Well the one pictured above checks your boxes.

Reactions: Leo

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Also after being bored at work I doing a little looking. Your current phone is not running android it's running kaiOS which is a Linux derivative. So at best it's a cousin to the iOS and Android systems.

Like cousin Eddy I would imagine.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The Tracfone site lists an Alcatel, Nokia and LG, but looks like the LG is a straight phone without internet access.

Samsung also has a traditional flip phone.

BTW- I've been with Tracfone for 20 years, this year and I could not be more pleased.

Reactions: Leo

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Verizon forced me out of my Samsung Convoy, sent me their cheapest flip phone. I wound up buying their only rugged phone option, a Kyocera(like pictured above). Can't stand the thing. Buttons will hang sometimes when pressing "1 for english". It doesn't connect to my bluetooth headset the same every time. The contacts search is bassackwards, as well as other navigation functions(yes, it's probably just me being used to a phone I had for over seven years).:ranton:

I had until December to switch over, and had an agreement that they wouldn't activate the cheap phone they sent. But they activated it anyway in October, so I had to buy the Kyocera. Low and behold, in December they have a second option for a rugged phone, a Sonim rugged phone. Stuck for the time being. I'm interested in seeing what recommendations others have as well.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    So flip phone guys.

Is it Luddite tendencies?
    Wanting to stay away from apple/google?
    Is it a cost thing?

Why stick with feature phones?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    So flip phone guys.

Is it a cost thing?

Durability has me almost to go back to one.
    I don't hardly use it for anything but talk and text anyways
    If a flip had a camera worth a damn I would have probably already did it.

Last edited:

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    So flip phone guys.

Is it a cost thing?

For me it is all I want. I don't text or do social media (wouldn't have when I was 15 :>). What few forums I use is only on computers or my tablet. Keep in mind that I am on desktops most of the day, and good part of the evening.

I camp a lot and my flip phone will last a week, plus it usually (if not always) picks up better than the "smart" phones. I have had several people borrow mine in the fringes.

I prefer discrete objects. I use a Garmin GPS which gives me the ability to change batteries as many times as I wish. I prefer my larger tablet to read on. I use my phone to make calls. I have very nice DSLRs and huge lenses for all of my photos.

For me expense is not an issue. I have no problem with apple or google as they both suck equally!

The funny thing is that I am in IT. One other thing, is I actually remember when the cool thing was to own the smallest phone you could get.

I hope this explains it a little.

Ron

Top Bottom