• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garb

Master
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I am a total noob when it comes to muzzleloaders, and I am definitely more attracted to the old school look of the flintlocks. What are the advantages and disadvantages of owning a flintlock as opposed to one of the newer ones? Also, if I were to get a flintlock, what is a recommended brand that is affordable?

leftsock

Expert
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of owning a flintlock as opposed to one of the newer ones?

A newer one? Like one using percussion cap technology introduced around 1830? Matchlock, wheellock, flintlock, percussion caps. The progression of technology has made firearm ignition more reliable and less of a pain-in-the-ass to operate.

If you need an ultra reliable firearm, use a modern cartridge-based system. If you're shooting old timey stuff for fun, do whatever draws you to it.

Strictly between flintlock and percussion caps though, you're either priming the pan with powder and using the friction of flint on steel to ignite it and set of the charge in the barrel, or using a hammer hitting a percussion cap to get the same result.

Garb

Master
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    A newer one? Like one using percussion cap technology introduced around 1830? Matchlock, wheellock, flintlock, percussion caps. The progression of technology has made firearm ignition more reliable and less of a pain-in-the-ass to operate.

If you need an ultra reliable firearm, use a modern cartridge-based system. If you're shooting old timey stuff for fun, do whatever draws you to it.

Strictly between flintlock and percussion caps though, you're either priming the pan with powder and using the friction of flint on steel to ignite it and set of the charge in the barrel, or using a hammer hitting a percussion cap to get the same result.

Ok, that clarifies some things for me. Is there a specific brand I should look for, or one to avoid?

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Friendship, IN......They hold the national black powder shoots there..spring 6/12-20 and fall. Google NMLRA for details... Make the trip you'll never regret it....Duce<><

Last edited:

DHolder

Expert
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    By no means are muzzleloaders a thing of the past, they just keep gettin better. Nothing like the white smoke and smell of black powder. We had some gentlemen come to an Appleseed in April, that were Revolutionary War reinactors. They brought their muzzleloaders, they were flintlock.
    They told the story that during that period, a blacksmith made the barrel, a woodworker made the stock, and a locksmith made the lock and trigger assy. From that is were the saying "Lock, stock, and barrel" as an assembly came from.

Flintlock

Expert
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    Check out the link in my signature. If you have any questions, feel free to PM or email me! I'm one of the Indiana state reps for the Traditional Muzzleloading Association. I build my own flintlocks and honestly my flinters are more reliable than my cap guns.

Garb

Master
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I think there may be flintlocks that can be converted to percussion when the charm wears off, if it does.

I've seen the flintlock style, but they put the caps on either the hammer or where the hammer hits. I'll probably end up getting one of both, and use the one with percussion caps for hunting.

Top Bottom