• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    If you carry a knife as a back up for your handgun or at times carry a knife as a primary deadly force option, is it a fixed blade or folder? Please vote. Thanks- George

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I understand, but I am interested in narrowing it down to the one knife that you could most likely seeing yourself using before any others based on amount of time you carry it, typical environment and the threats you envision yourself facing.

There are several knives that I carry at different times for different reasons. Some when going places that prevent firearms. But the one that is always in my strong side pocket whether as a strong side back up to the pistol, or as a primary deadly force option when I cannot carry a pistol or fixed blade would cause me to say the Spyderco Military.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I selected "folder" because that's a day to day thing, and they're just itty bitty things, a little Gerber and a first production run S&W.

I think the Cold Steel SRK and the hatchet might attract a tad too much attention strolling about town. They are nice when backpacking and camping.

3913andknives.jpg

paulgl26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    MOKENA
    i use the folder for everyday stuff and the fix blade just in case
    have the fixed blade on my week side and the folder clipped to the strong side pocket

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Folder- For me, I consider it more practical. There are times where a fixed is better, but if I had to make do with only one, it would be a folder. IMO, the fixed has more limitations than a folder, even though they both have pro's and con's.

Having said that, I consider the knife primarily a tool, with self defense being a secondary duty. If I were somehow able to treat the knife as primarily SD, well, I am not sure what I'd do. I started this paragraph with the intention of reaching a clear conclusion, but now I think it might be more muddy. Maybe I can edit this later after I think about it some more. I still see a ton of utility in a folder, whereas a fixed has more limitations.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I carry three folders. The Spyderco Military is my primary defensive folder. A EKI Karmabit reactions side reverse grip for weapon retention. My utility folder is the Al Mar SERE 2000. The Military and Karambit are not used for cutting things.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I carry a folder every day. I use it to cut things, but I keep it sharp. I consider it to be a primary SD tool when I am not carrying a firearm. I also wear a Beckernecker every day. I don't use it to cut things and I consider it a 'last line' item.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    In my everyday go to the place I work attire it is a SpyderCo Endura 4 that has been waved. It is worn clipped in my strong side pocket.
    In my uniform it is a Cold Steel Spike tanto blade carried center line behind my belt. If I have my vest on I have a BKT TacTool on it and also my SRT on my back under the water bladder. Oh and inside on the right is a US Navy Dive Knife.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I carry a Fixed Ka-Bar TDI knife on my weak side, and a Kershaw Leek on the strong side.

I KNOW I'm not left handed, and absolutely suck at opening a folder with that hand. Even assisted openers like the leek fly out of my left hand as often as not when I try to open it.

I've not found a good way to carry a second TDI on the strong side yet or I likely would.

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Since I started the both b*&ch session I better expand a bit more.

My primary choice for SD will always be a small fixed. Unfortunately, due to some folks that just don't get it, they keep passing laws that prevent me from carrying my favorite choice so then I fall back on the folder.

Since taking out a fixed blade to open a box would be considered slightly less than PC, I always have a folder that's well maintained for general cutting chores. Additionally, since I am a firm believer in the muscle memory theories, I figure I'll just carry that folder in the same spot defensive, or just general cutting all the time. That way every time I access and deploy for a general cutting job, I'm getting a free repetition on my SD drawstroke and no one is any the wiser.

So, that's how I arrive at both. Fixed would be primary barring any legal complications, but the folder is always there as the backup.

Tinman....

Revelations

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    NW IND/ Tampa Bay
    I carry a folder ever day.

I finally retired a Spydeco Rescue that Ive been carrying for about 15 years and got a new Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Mini Covert.

Been toying with the idea of carrying a fixed blade. I just need to figure out which one.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I understand, but I am interested in narrowing it down to the one knife that you could most likely seeing yourself using before any others based on amount of time you carry it, typical environment and the threats you envision yourself facing.

With this criteria George I chose "folder".

My waved Endura goes EVERYWHERE with me. The Becker Necker when its permissable.

Top Bottom