Five teens in Kentucky get charged with 'weapon of mass destruction'.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Teens charged after explosion outside Lexington home

Where the hell is this country going? Teens getting arrested for making 'joke threats' on Facebook or in online video games, getting prison time. Some dumb teens make some household chemical 'bomb' and get charged with a class C felony.

Charge them for vandalism. Make them do community service, make clean up the mess, and then move on. These kids will have their life ruined, even without the jailtime, probably on a no-fly list now.

Anyhow, just crazy. Never messed with these things as a kid but I sure wasn't an angel either. Most kids/teenagers are little hellions when not around their parents and in the company of their peers.

Just a friendly tip: Buy your diet Coke and your mentos with CASH, preferably buy these from two DIFFERENT stores. Destroy your receipts. ;)

EDIT: Perhaps this isn't the most appropriate forum for this, so if a moderator feels that, please move it to where you see fit.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    An over pressure device is now a WMD? I guess firecrackers are now grenades and bottle rockets are SAMs. Call in the drones, we have a high priority target!

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    In my opinion young people need limits, what limits we can debate all day.

Absolutely. They should be scolded. They should have to clean up the mess, and have to do community service. Walk them through a prison and have inmates yell stuff at them, give them a proper scare but don't charge them / throw them in a friggin' for profit prison.

By the definition of what they did, a lot of you here possess a 'WMD' with your tannerite. It's a slippery slope.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    An over pressure device is now a WMD? I guess firecrackers are now grenades and bottle rockets are SAMs. Call in the drones, we have a high priority target!

I think after we went to war after evidence of 'weapons of mass destruction', it was best to change the defintion of what a 'WMD' really is... LOL

"Sir, our intelligence reports indicate that our Iraqi suspect has just returned from the store. It's believed he may have purchased aluminum foil wrap, and what appears to be liquid pipe cleaner. Sir, what should we do."
    --"Mother of god.... It's worse than we could have imagined.
    "

I don't mean to downplay the seriousness of this, but at the same time it does seem like massive over-reaction. Lets hope the Judge has some sense and doesn't try to 'make an example' out of these kids by punishing them to the full extent of the law.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Unfortunately, a lot of information is available on the internet, and boys being boys, explosions take on an almost mystical quality. Add a little poor judgement/vandalism and you have a potentially deadly situation.

AP, Chlorine, Hydrazine...all can be formed with very common laundry room or garage chemicals.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    With the stuff I've got floating around in my noggin I'm sure they could make up some reason to arrest me. $50 and a days time and you could make something far more dangerous than what these kids did.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    What's funny (not haha, more ironic) is that you can buy "overpressure devices" at a toy store.

I saw a "Mentos Rocket" just last weekend. A plastic bottle with a valve. It was designed to build pressure and then open the valve to launch. By IC, this is an overpressure device.

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    With the stuff I've got floating around in my noggin I'm sure they could make up some reason to arrest me. $50 and a days time and you could make something far more dangerous than what these kids did.

Right now some weasel is trying to make "knowledge" into a chargeable offense. The weasels keep pushing and the sheep keep on eating.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    When I was younger, my brother and I would take empty CO2 cartridges, fill them with shotgun powder, and add a length of cannon fuse. I'll never forget the sound of jagged metal fragments screaming past our heads the first time we did it. After that, we made a longer fuse and got farther away (smart huh?).

Of course, we would never have blown one up on someone's porch.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    Boys burn stuff and blow stuff up. We need to find a way to focus this (science competitions?) instead of charging them with felonies. Heck after burrito night my stomach could be considered a WMD overpressurized device. Although I don't think I could knock the glass out of a door...

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Excerpt: ""Especially since 9/11, lawmakers got very serious with the way they wrote laws."

Really Ms. Police Spokesperson? You really think lawmakers had kids goofing off in mind when laws were written in the wake of 9/11? They had terrorists in mind.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    Sheesh, I guess I could have been arrested for a felony when I opened an MRE heater, poured the contents into a soda bottle, then poured some water in it and put the cap back on. But I imagine the statute of limitations has long since expired. I hope. Lol

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I had a buddy who's older brother would eventually earn a Phd in chemical engineering. He thought it was fun to make stuff and give it to us to "test". We are VERY lucky to be alive. By today's standards, we would've gotten the chair.

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    I've got mixed emotions about this one. Yes, we used to blow stuff up as a kid and do a lot of things that would be considered unacceptable today (in some communities anyway). But we didn't destroy peoples property or do something that might get somebody seriously hurt (other than ourselves). Putting an explosive device on someone's porch is not a joke.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Sheesh, I guess I could have been arrested for a felony when I opened an MRE heater, poured the contents into a soda bottle, then poured some water in it and put the cap back on. But I imagine the statute of limitations has long since expired. I hope. Lol

Nope. Down the road when you do your terrorist deed, this will be dug up and go into evidence as prior knowledge. Probably....I think

Top Bottom