• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    this was a pretty fantastic trip that myself and CBR1000 just wrapped up last night. It was really nice to not have a deadline at all and could go at whatever pace you wanted. Didn't take any picutres of our smallies, but we probably caught about 25 each. Nothing huge by anymeans, but I did find a lure that I really enjoyed fishing that I think will work year round. it was a dark green "beaver" on a screw in football head jig.
    Here are the kayaks rigged up. Off the top of my head there are only a few things that I would bring next time that I didn't bring this time.

I caught one of these... and there are HUNDREDS of them in the stream. I am thinking its a golden redhorse, but am not sure. they traveled in school of around 50 to 100. Can anyone comfirm what this is?

I also saw two deer in the water. one looked like it has been field dressed, or possibly gotten by coyotes and this one didn't look like it had been shot or anything... possibly drowned?

Snake ID anyone?

The campfire at night..... was a great time with some whiskey on the rocks.... you can see the bacon beans and crappie

Now onto the other kind of fishing... this was my first time bowfishing. and let me tell you, out of a kayak is a very very hard thing to do. spot and stalk, stand and balance, patience, but speed. this was tough. I thought I had practiced enough but I still shot over most of the fish as judging depth was harder than I thought it would be. Also I am not sure my arrow was sharp enough, or my bow strong enough. it has a 40 pound draw. I arrowed at least 4 fish that got off not long after the line went taught. I need to figure that out. I liked that bow because it broke down to a small package but after using it for a few hours I think I need to take my compound bow. that will allow me to have sights, as well as take longer shots which should produce more fish.
    To get this done I would float with the flow as I moved over the wood structure and take some shots. I typically got two or three shots in a area but after the first they were much quicker reflex shots. I would then one handed paddle back up current and try to spot and stalk until I found the occasional fish that was "hiding" in the cover... that would allow me to get close enough where judging the depth/distance had less of a impact on the shot. those were typically the fish that I caught. anyways, here are the photos. I don't think many people bow fish out of a kayak on a river during the day. if I get good at this I think I will be in the minority of people. if you thought kayak fishing was an exercise in organized chaos you should try bowfishing out of one.

and on the boat w/out the outriggers, kneeling is the way its done.... if I switch to a compound this is probably how I will do it as well so I have less distance to travel to put the paddle down and can get to the shot quicker.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wonder if the deer in the water is a sign of the hemorrhagic disease that was in the area a few years back? I found them in the water back then.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Nice trip report. It's always great to get out on the river. What river is this? Did you stay at a campground, or just below the "100 year flood mark?" What did you do with the carp? Just curious if you kept it for the rest of the trip, which I would imagine would get pretty stinky. Sorry for all the questions, I'm looking to do an over-nighter on the river, but don't really know where to go here in Indiana.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Nice trip report. It's always great to get out on the river. What river is this? Did you stay at a campground, or just below the "100 year flood mark?" What did you do with the carp? Just curious if you kept it for the rest of the trip, which I would imagine would get pretty stinky. Sorry for all the questions, I'm looking to do an over-nighter on the river, but don't really know where to go here in Indiana.

Its a navigable river in east central Indiana, and the legal place is NOT the 100year flood mark. if a flood only happens there every 100 years how will you be able to see the mark? Its the high water mark where vegetation begins on both sides of the banks. we slept on a sand bar island that had enough wood to get a campfire w/out much effort. I kept one carp and we ate some of it that night. the others were used for fertilizer.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks... I have quite a bit of money wrapped up in the kayaks and all the other stuff to go with them, so it always makes me feel good when they get serious use.

Thank you so much for taking the extra time and effort to let us go along with you guys! :ingo:

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Amazing was an understatement. I can't wait to take another over nighter.

I wasn't as keen on the bow fishing as Indy was. I think it was more that I didn't have my own bow and out riggers. I would have most certainly enjoyed it more had we been able to chase carp in tandem. I'm going to assume that this will happen by the time the next trip arrives (next spring I hope).

The smallmouth fishing wasn't as good this time around but that could have been due to several reasons. The rains had just passed through a couple nights before and yet the water was still ultra clear and (I'm guessing here) 4" lower. I did happen to hook into two real nice smallies but lost them right at the boat.

I will say that Indy out fished me this time around. In total I would say we caught around 50 fish between Sunday and Monday.

Again, amazing trip and I'm ready for another!

Last edited:

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    Not to be sarcastic but are those white floatation devices some sort of training wheels for kayaking? I have always been leary! I might fall out!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Not to be sarcastic but are those white floatation devices some sort of training wheels for kayaking? I have always been leary! I might fall out!

you could call them that.... I was going to be standing and paddling with one hand, and a bow in the other hand, as well as carrying ALOT of extra weight in the back with the tent and cooler and stuff. the outriggers provided extra buoyancy as well as the stability needed to stand and shoot/paddle/fish..... they do slow the kayak down quite a bit though. everything is a trade off.

Top Bottom