First long range gun. Need advise on GLASS.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    X2 on getting a rangefinder to determine distance. If you’re shooting far enough to really need rangefinding equipment, you’re better off using a laser to get the exact range. Very few people still use a reticle to range, as it’s not as accurate. Unless you have a known measurement on your object, a reticle-determined range will always be inexact.

Additionally, just one last plug for SFP. If you need the fancy reticle on your scope, you’ll be far enough that you’ll want it dialed all the way up, and your reticle will be accurate.

That way your reticle stays the same size, and is never too big or too small.

:twocents:

With a correctly designed reticle from a reputable company, the reticle is never too small nor too big at any magnification with a FFP scope.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I highly recommend Vortex LH HD 2-10 for hunting. Super light and can be found for around $500 used. It’s a no frills light weight razor scope

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    I was whacking Steel at every mark from 200 - 1000 yards with 62 grain off the shelf Federal 5.56 outta my Daniel Defense V7 with Athlon HELOS 6x24x50 MOA IL
    (Christmas tree reticle*)

It's a ton less than $2000 - ($500-$600) found mine on sale @ Triggers/Florence, KY on Black Friday 2 years ago.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'm no language wizard myself. Nor am I immune to using profanity.

It's hard to give anyone that cannot publicly communicate any better than that much credit though. Makes one question how legit that video is? :twocents:

Think the video was in response to threads on another forum.

My tolerance for John Q's nonsense was exceeded long ago.

If the guy has the coin and attitude to do such a vid, more power to him.

I thought it entertaining.

Last edited:

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I was whacking Steel at every mark from 200 - 1000 yards with 62 grain off the shelf Federal 5.56 outta my Daniel Defense V7 with Athlon HELOS 6x24x50 MOA IL
    (Christmas tree reticle*)

It's a ton less than $2000 - ($500-$600) found mine on sale @ Triggers/Florence, KY on Black Friday 2 years ago.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Athlon line now that I have been looking for "Longer" range glass on a gun that will be able to use it.

I have also been eyeballing the Nikon Black FX1000 4-16X60. I have been hearing a lot of good things and REALLY like the reticle on it..(Seems less cluttered and better for a FFP scope) :twocents::dunno:

Anyone have any thoughts on that scope? I know Nikon has some good glass and has been in the industry making glass and lenses FOREVER.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have heard a lot of good things about the Athlon line now that I have been looking for "Longer" range glass on a gun that will be able to use it.

I have also been eyeballing the Nikon Black FX1000 4-16X60. I have been hearing a lot of good things and REALLY like the reticle on it..(Seems less cluttered and better for a FFP scope) :twocents::dunno:

Anyone have any thoughts on that scope? I know Nikon has some good glass and has been in the industry making glass and lenses FOREVER.

Something to keep in mind, is Nikon officially announced they are getting out of the rifle scope game, so there will be some killer deals on there stuff this BF, but there will be no warranty.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Something to keep in mind, is Nikon officially announced they are getting out of the rifle scope game, so there will be some killer deals on there stuff this BF, but there will be no warranty.

Thanks for the heads up, I was not aware of this information. Did a fast Google search and you are correct. That might be why they are 50% off.

Throw that choice off to the side and narrowing the heard of perspective mates for my 700.

Thanks again!:ingo:

Top Bottom