• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jay2981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I was finally able to take out my first loads tonight. I loaded 20 9mm 115gn, 10 at 6.2 and 10 at 6.4 gn of power pistol. They ran great and I'm chomping at the bit to get to work loading more. I did learn that power pistol is louder than what I'm used to but it's no big deal. Big thanks to rockhopper and Aszerigan for the help. I think the addiction just grew a bit!:rockwoot:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Great Loads..

Good deal. Yea, your 6.4gr. of PowerPistol loads are just .3gr. under MAX listed in the Alliant load data chart, so they should have some heat behind them. Probably a lot more steam than your average 115gr. Factory Load...Bill..

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I'm not aware of any means by which one "powder" could be louder than another...pretty sure it's the amount of powder used and the velocity obtained that influences that. :)

Congrats on putting your first loads together and hearing them go BANG!! ;)

jay2981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Yeah a bit hot for me at 6.4 so I'm thinking I'm going to stick with the min of 6.2. I wish I would have started reloading earlier as it is a great extension of the sport.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I'm not aware of any means by which one "powder" could be louder than another...pretty sure it's the amount of powder used and the velocity obtained that influences that. :)

Congrats on putting your first loads together and hearing them go BANG!! ;)

Actually, some powders will sound considerably louder than others, and the burn rate, not amount is the reason. Fast powders burn up sooner in the firing cycle than slower ones, and the peak pressure point also varies. The loudness and concussion is directly related to when the burn rate and pressure peaks in relation to when the bullet leaves the barrel. Kind of hard to explain well without writing a book, but I hope this helps.

jay2981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    With that thought I'll increase oal to decrease pressure and get a more favorable load.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Actually, some powders will sound considerably louder than others, and the burn rate, not amount is the reason. Fast powders burn up sooner in the firing cycle than slower ones, and the peak pressure point also varies. The loudness and concussion is directly related to when the burn rate and pressure peaks in relation to when the bullet leaves the barrel. Kind of hard to explain well without writing a book, but I hope this helps.

So, if two powders create the same velocity, but the faster-burning powder does it with a lower charge weight, it will be louder? Or, is it the slower powder and heavier charge weight that will be louder?

I have to confess that most of my reloading has been with a wide range of rifles and Contender pistols, so they are ALL loud. :D

Top Bottom