• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    A post re: Orlando, and the need for timely hemorrhage control during these types of incidents got me thinking:

If you wear tactical-style pants, it is easy (easier) to carry various component of a first aid kit (tourniquet, bandage, etc). But, what about when you are wearing normal pants? Strapping a bunch of pouches on your dress pants isn't that feasible; if you're in public, you'll look like Ricky Rescue. Shoving a bulging ziploc into a pocket makes for an uncomfortable day at the office, too.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The key is improvisation. If you understand the basic principles then making do with what you have is far more possible. The knowledge in my head amd the skills I have practiced until they are automatic are worth far more than what I am carrying.

This is the basic tenet of survivalism.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Plus a Swat-T that can fit in your support side back pocket... And a pair or two of non-latex gloves...

:+1:

I always carry a pair of nitrile gloves in my pants pocket, SwatT in my jacket pocket.
    I have some duct tape folded with the swatT who is in a ziplock bag (occlusive dressing etc).

Additional larger trauma kit with a second Swat T in my back pack (usually near by).

Having a sharp pocket knife is also a great first aid tool and probably the best one you can have.
    You can cut people's clothes to make bandages, and if you're at the scene of a mass shooting you will need lots of those, you just can't carry enough on you for everybody.

So you will need to create more bandages, pack wounds, wrap limbs etc ... all that can be done with just gloves and your pocket knife (and people's clothes, napkins if you are in a restaurant, towels and bed sheets in a hotel etc).

If you want to carry some trauma gear and be very low key the best option, even with a suit, is a ankle holster.
    You can easily make your own or buy one.

Many options to carry a few essentials without using your pocket.

K3-01-5.jpg

Many options.

But like other said training will always be your best option.
    Even with no tools or fancy gear you can save people lives.

My SwatT tourniquets were provided by a generous fellow INGOer ... A gift I hope I won't have to use any time soon. :ingo:

Also I think it's good to keep in mine that those types of shooting are extremelly rare no matter what the media want you to think.

You will more likely use your first aid gear in a car accident (I think around 90 people killed each day in the US in car accidents, probably more wounded) with few victims.

Last edited:

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I've been looking into an ankle kit myself. Strike industries carries the basic ankle "holster" and I have access to plenty of medical supplies to fill it up. I think this will be a good option to have trauma gear on me in dress pants and a secondary bigger kit in my bag.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Good thoughts; as a Paramedic, I was a bit tunnel-visioned into "stuff" rather than thinking to adapt and improvise.

Perhaps that's what we need to be advocating--mass self-help using just the stuff you're wearing/around you.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Good thoughts; as a Paramedic, I was a bit tunnel-visioned into "stuff" rather than thinking to adapt and improvise.

Perhaps that's what we need to be advocating--mass self-help using just the stuff you're wearing/around you.

My focus is on wilderness medicine and rescue where improvisation is paramount. When I am teaching the EMT classes I teach I always emphasize to the students that what we do on the street is very different that what you do when definitive care is a long ways away and you don't have a truck full of stuff to use. Many of those same teachings are easy for a non-medical civilian to learn and use as well.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Tacmed ankle carry kit, also added additional chest seal, two pairs of gloves, NPA, two ARS's, SOL duct tape, and a black sharpie. Run that on the inside of my right ankle inside my slip on boot and a G26 in a ankle glove on the inside of my left ankle inside the slip on boot, both are the same bulk. Balances nicely.

I guess I need to add that I carry scissors, multi tool, and a knife as well, otherwise I would carry something that can cut.

https://youtu.be/U28_CCwkKI4

Last edited:

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    As a medic I always taught my guys that the most important part of any med kit is a good knife. You can make anything you need for bleeding control. But, if you want a ready made TQ the smallest is the TK4. And it is effective.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    The Tac-Med holster is a neat idea..

A good knife is a necessity, as long as you're someplace that lets you carry it; metal detectors have made that a problem in many mass gathering events, the exact place when you're likely to need the tool.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The Tac-Med holster is a neat idea..

A good knife is a necessity, as long as you're someplace that lets you carry it; metal detectors have made that a problem in many mass gathering events, the exact place when you're likely to need the tool.

In many places with metal detectors it's sill legal for you to carry a knife, and it's still possible to get one in.

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    The smallest kit that I can think of is the TK4 TQ, z-pack gauze and a 2'' ace wrap. That would cover most all IMMEDIATE life threatening injuries, and could easily be carried in a pocket.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.

In many places with metal detectors it's sill legal for you to carry a knife, and it's still possible to get one in.

Tell that to the folks at Banker's Life / Pacer games... One time I didn't carry, but still had my pocket knife (small folder) and it was like I tried sneaking in an UZI or something! Stern look and was walked to the Information Desk to "check my knife until after the game".

I might have started looking into other options for carrying something in these environments... Maybe...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A post re: Orlando, and the need for timely hemorrhage control during these types of incidents got me thinking:

If you wear tactical-style pants, it is easy (easier) to carry various component of a first aid kit (tourniquet, bandage, etc). But, what about when you are wearing normal pants? Strapping a bunch of pouches on your dress pants isn't that feasible; if you're in public, you'll look like Ricky Rescue. Shoving a bulging ziploc into a pocket makes for an uncomfortable day at the office, too.

Sometimes you have to make choices that aren't comfortable. Having needed specific gear I didn't have before, I choose to carry what I need and comfort and appearance take a backseat.

The key is improvisation. If you understand the basic principles then making do with what you have is far more possible. The knowledge in my head amd the skills I have practiced until they are automatic are worth far more than what I am carrying.

This is the basic tenet of survivalism.

Good points.

You can do a lot with a couple of bandanas. Anyone can carry a couple of bandanas in their pocket pretty much everywhere. Same goes for Gorilla tape.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Tell that to the folks at Banker's Life / Pacer games... One time I didn't carry, but still had my pocket knife (small folder) and it was like I tried sneaking in an UZI or something! Stern look and was walked to the Information Desk to "check my knife until after the game".

I might have started looking into other options for carrying something in these environments... Maybe...

There was a few threads about people carrying knives and even guns into the Lucas Oil Stadium, just normally going through security but they missed them ... just another reason to have them.
    If you can carry them bad guys sure can as well.

Top Bottom