• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ibuytumuch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Indy
    I have an XDS 45 that I have yet to fire, but am fairly sure I want to trade or sell it. How much less would it be worth if I fire it? I am going to stick to my 9mm and .380 carry pistols.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    It's a modern firearm, I don't think running a few mags through it is going to impact the price.
    Just the fact that you bought it and took it home makes it "used" even though you have not fired it.
    Which one is it? 3.3, all black, bi-tone?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    They all get fired at th factory anyway, not to mention, some gun shops take'em for a ride if they are a new fangled dealio!

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Just like a car, when it leaves the lot it's "used." Person to person it won't lose a ton of value but trade in at the dealer and it will.

This. I read "NIB Never Fired" in the classifieds all the time... I don't really care what you claim, it's been fired already and it's no longer "new". Once it leaves the gun shop it is now used.

Fire away!

genXer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    I agree with the car analogy, once it's leaves the lot it's considered used to me. A few rounds through it isn't going to hurt the value...1000s of rounds and the associated wear, then yeah the value is lower

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Now when you find a gun that's almost 100yrs old and it has not been fired outside of the factory you can BET it has a higher price
    Just hang on to that plastic gun for a few more years

• :)

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I buy a lot of things on this website but I find that a lot of people want to close to what I could buy it brand new for. I guess everyone is different but for me it has to be worth my wild to buy it (used). Since most of what I am buying is impulse that might have to do with it too. lol

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep, Fire away. It wont make a lick of difference.

Now EDCing it and getting normal wear and tear on it, THAT will cause the price to drop. But taking it to the range and running ammo through it, nothing. (it loses value the moment it leaves the shop, just like a car*)

But as others have said, there is no such thing as a "never fired" weapon other than the one sitting inside the gun store display case. Once it leaves there, it doesnt matter if it has rounds through it or not. Its still used and worth less than a new one*.

*which is a debate in and of itself... private sale vs retail

Last edited:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Another opinion for "used" as soon as it's purchased. I'd rather a used 200 round honest no malfunctions (someone I trust), vs new anyday.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    New in box never fired is always worth more. If you are going to trade it I wouldn't shoot it. Probably get what you paid for it.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I buy a lot of things on this website but I find that a lot of people want to close to what I could buy it brand new for. I guess everyone is different but for me it has to be worth my wild to buy it (used). Since most of what I am buying is impulse that might have to do with it too. lol

Yep, always make sure you check prices with GunWatcher or something similar. If you're listing a gun for more than what I can buy it online, or within a very small amount, I'd rather buy new. Remember, people buy based off what the gun is worth, not based off what you paid for it. Rule of thumb for me is ~$50 off any used gun, or should I say "pre-owned" gun. Sometimes more, sometimes slightly less, depending on the gun, any extras, etc.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    "New in the box never fired" is just code for priced too high. I don't care what a seller says. New in box has probably been stripped, cleaned, oiled, dry fired 1000 times, posed with in front of the mirror, and as far as I'm concerned... shot. If you're not an FFL and dealer of said gun... it's a used gun in great visual condition.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    "New in the box never fired" is just code for priced too high. I don't care what a seller says. New in box has probably been stripped, cleaned, oiled, dry fired 1000 times, posed with in front of the mirror, and as far as I'm concerned... shot. If you're not an FFL and dealer of said gun... it's a used gun in great visual condition.

Also keep in mind lots prefer not to go through an FFL to avoid background checks. That is worth something to them. Different strokes for different folks. Will say again I always get at least what I paid or more when selling a firearm. Great investments.

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Also keep in mind lots prefer not to go through an FFL to avoid background checks. That is worth something to them. Different strokes for different folks. Will say again I always get at least what I paid or more when selling a firearm. Great investments.

I see this all the time too. Guns in the classifieds sell for "new" price all the time for whatever reason. Maybe the reason is what Sniper79 said above, but I also think sales tax is a small factor as well, especially the more pricey the gun.

Not saying I agree with it, just saying it happens all the time. Personally, like another poster said, If the price is even remotely close I'd rather buy new. I'll just order online and pay an FFL $15.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom