• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    and if it ever stops raining and dries up in my neck of the woods, i intend to experiment with primitive ways of fire.

what can i say? fire is fascinating as is all the ways of creating it. :D

Rainy days are a great time to practice fire building. While I wouldn't try to learn a new technique in wet conditions, it's a good time to challenge yourself using methods you are already proficient at.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Rainy days are a great time to practice fire building. While I wouldn't try to learn a new technique in wet conditions, it's a good time to challenge yourself using methods you are already proficient at.

Very true but I know there is almost no chance of learning primitive methods in the rain, and since its usually not completely dry around here it's going to be hard enough. I want to have the best chance of getting fire so that i actually know i can do it before i try it different ways. i try to start small so i can get technique. i have worked with starting fires in the snow, so i have small experience with wetter conditions.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    In terms of fire, given a choice, I would rather have a plastic shotgun hull then the powder in it. Plastic hulls are actually very flammable.

Powder blows around in the wind, burns way to fast. If you have the ability to make a spark there are tons of materials that can be used for tinder that are better than powder.
    I was just saying if thats what you had available being that we would all likely have our guns with us. Your not going to get plastic burning with just a spark, but you are right, once you get plastic going it works great

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    water proof matches, lighters, dryer lint, fire steel, wet tinder cubes, magnesium fire starter with flint rod. And I also know how to make a bow kit like described above and how to use it. I do need to practice it though, its been years.

EODThree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Brazil
    When you try this the first time, WEAR SAFETY GLASSES, you'll understand why later. :oldwise:

A small container (1/4 cup or less) of crystallized chlorine, add about an once of brake fluid. STEP BACK. It "should" start to smoke and then will burst into flames. Burning crap will be ejected. :flamethrower:

EODThree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Brazil
    Worth keeping in your vehicle...

A coffee can or paint can (metal, NOT plastic) with a roll of toilet paper in it. The roll should be about the same diameter as the can. A pint of rubbing alcohol. Extra alcohol might come in handy.

ONLY when you need it, pour the alcohol into the can with the TP, and light with your favorite "smokey the bear" trick.

You've just created a space heater that will burn for quite a while. Obviously, the can will get hot so plan accordingly. This puppy will A. Eat oxygen and B. create CARBON MONOXIDE. Ventilation is essential.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    When you try this the first time, WEAR SAFETY GLASSES, you'll understand why later. :oldwise:

A small container (1/4 cup or less) of crystallized chlorine, add about an once of brake fluid. STEP BACK. It "should" start to smoke and then will burst into flames. Burning crap will be ejected. :flamethrower:

Your eyes will the last thing you will worry about when you breath chlorine gas.

EODThree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Brazil
    Your eyes will the last thing you will worry about when you breath chlorine gas.

LOTS of things one shouldn't inhale. Clorox mixed with any one of several things will destroy lung tissue and eyes. Many types of acid mixed with otherwise innocuous substances will ruin your whole day.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Dry or even semi-dry pine needles can ignite very quickly. They do not burn long, but if you saved some up when dry they can be great at getting small tender going.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    We have a fire ring in the front yard and have a lot of campfires. Most are started with dryer lint and a BSA fire set.- George

carlthecarp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Ive been taught by an eagle scout on fire starting and i have had fire bout 10 different ways. Its is very good knowledge to have.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Dryer lint shoved in the bottom of egg cartons with parrafin wax poured on top, let harden pop out of egg carton will burn for up to 10 minutes

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I haven't got around to making these yet, but are more safe with the same end result. [FIRE]

http://www.survivalprimer.com/TF_FIRE_BUG_FIRE_STARTER.txt

I finally made some of these "fire bugs" today. I must say that I am rather pleased. Slightly time consuming, but a nice way to kill an afternoon. Here's what I ended up with:

About 16 quarter sized 'bugs' (approx 1.5 boxes of strike anywhere matches) using less that 1/2 lb of parrifin. I did a test burn on a single match soaked then coated in the parrifin, it burned for about 3 minutes.

So for a little time and low $$, I now have waterproof fire starters, for camping, bonfires, or if SHTF.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Careful:

Don't try to remove the primer! (LOL)
    Something I have often thought about that I have not seen anyone mention, I am assuming most on here would have ammo handy. If you can create a spark of some kind you could always dump the powder out of one of your shells to help jump start your kindling.

RTDoug

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    I'll play.

Bic lighters first, strike anywhere matches, flint and steel, firesteels, all have been used.
    Harvested some fatwood from some stumps in the state forest. Great stuff!
    Jute twine, charcloth, dryer lint.
    Havent tried cattail fluff, but have used the dry flowers off of decorative grasses. Catch a spark most excellent!

Forage as you go. Gather the goods in prep for rainy wet weather,keep it dry, and you will always have fire makins.

regards

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Here's one you don't hear every day, learned it at a BSA event.

About a teaspoon of this.

Add about an inch of this chopped into 1/16" sized chunks.

Mix those two a bit, then add a few drops of this.

The glycerin and potassium will light on fire. The fire will be hot enough to light the magnesium, and that fire will be hot enough to light a fresh dog turd.

I have read that antifreeze will work as well as glycerin, but have never tried it.

COOL. I didn't know you could get that stuff so easily. Firebuilding not my area. But it may soon be.
    Off to ebay.

Top Bottom