• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newdumdum9825

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Seymour, IN
    Right now my local recruiter is working on my waiver to join the National Guard

The MOS choices I'm thinking of right now is

13B- Cannon Crewmember
    31B- Military Police
    19D- Cav Scout
    21M- Firefighter
    91F- Small Arms/Artillery Repairer

I'm dead set on 13B right now and hopefully I get that MOS

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I think you're making a good choice. 91F sounds interesting, but I bet it blows as a job. There's so many areas you can get into as an MP (K-9 comes to mind). Plus you get to crack some heads (or so by brother told me). Best to you and let us know!!

newdumdum9825

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Seymour, IN
    91F would help in the civie world since I could possibly become a gunsmith and probably be able to build an AR from the ground up in no time..
    Of course 31B and 21M I could possibly get on at my local PD/FD, so be a MP and LEO at the same time in both worlds

devil07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    East Side Indy
    MP =/= LEO. Being an MP will not assist you getting hired as a LEO anymore/less than being any other MOS. Being an Army Firefighter should help you become a civilian FF.
    MP is more gate-guard/Prisoner control(Corrections officer), very unrelated to actual Policing, especially as National Guard. This is coming from my personal interactions with MPs and speaking with a friend who is an INANG MP Captain(and a full-time LEO).

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'd pass on being a NG cannon cocker. The active army has plenty of artillery units who are better equipped and better trained. Every deployed NG artillery unit I ran across had been given a "recert" crash course and was deployed as MPs or doing logisitics. Of course, I've been away from the game since '05, maybe things have changed.

newdumdum9825

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Seymour, IN
    Well I mentioned I had ADD when I was going through MEPS for active duty Army, so I'm getting a waiver sayin I'm clear of ADD.

I have my GED and the NG is the only branch that doesn't require 15 college credits but when I'm in ill use the GI Bill to my advantage and gain some sort of degree

plus I plan on serving the guard till I can go Active but with cutbacks it might not happen soon

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have my GED and the NG is the only branch that doesn't require 15 college credits

That sounded hokey to me, so I tried my Google-Fu:

Applicants in Tier I have a high school diploma, or at least 15 college credits. This means a high school diploma, not a GED. Depending on state law, completion of high school by home study may or may not be considered equivelant to a high school diploma.

So, yeah, if you aren't a high school grad apparently they want some college.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Advice for any other person who reads this and wants to join up. When you go to meps, if its not an issue that you believe will cause you problems if you join then DONT mention it! If you think it will cause a problem then you shouldnt be joining anyways.

I know some people who join need pictures and to have things spelled out, so: even if you have a cold (sniffing, coughing, sore throat) DO NOT mention it when you go to meps or it the becomes an issue.

as far as ADD is concerned, dont worry, they will PT that right out of you :):

newdumdum9825

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Seymour, IN
    Advice for any other person who reads this and wants to join up. When you go to meps, if its not an issue that you believe will cause you problems if you join then DONT mention it! If you think it will cause a problem then you shouldnt be joining anyways.

I know some people who join need pictures and to have things spelled out, so: even if you have a cold (sniffing, coughing, sore throat) DO NOT mention it when you go to meps or it the becomes an issue.

as far as ADD is concerned, dont worry, they will PT that right out of you :):

i agree with this since I am someone who knows the consequences, but it doesn't help when my first recruiter was in a hurry to get me sworn in so he can get his numbers, so this guy didn't work with me much and didn't warn me to much to what would happen if I did.

but I did have a recruiter tell me once it was a good thing I didn't lie an possibly get a fraudulent enlistment thrown at me

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    MP =/= LEO. Being an MP will not assist you getting hired as a LEO anymore/less than being any other MOS. Being an Army Firefighter should help you become a civilian FF.
    MP is more gate-guard/Prisoner control(Corrections officer), very unrelated to actual Policing, especially as National Guard. This is coming from my personal interactions with MPs and speaking with a friend who is an INANG MP Captain(and a full-time LEO).
    I'll second this and I'd also caution against small arms repair. You'll do a lot of monotonous parts swaps mostly. You won't learn much in the way of valuable skills for actual gunsmithing such as machining.

Top Bottom