• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That's an excellent article, which is standard for anything Zak Smith writes. If I have a question about weapon-related optics, he's the guy I ask. He's also a great shooter, and has actually tested and compared the optics he writes about (which isn't the case with some reviewers).

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'll second the author's comments on the M3 Aimpoint and Trijicon ACOG TA11 - I own and use both.

FWIW - I have access to most of the optics mentioned in that article (Aimpoint, Trijicon, EOTech, Leupold). I do not have access to S&B or USO glass.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I can't argue with the truth. I am kinda scary sometimes. I even scare myself. The fact that I am smarta** is intuitively obvious even to the casual observer.

The thing about Zak is, he's is able to and has channeled his abilities and attributes in positive, productive ways. He's making a difference in a lot of ways. In addition to his engineering and shooting skills, he's a talented writer and photographer as well.

He reminds me of the Robert Heinlein quote suggesting that specialization is for insects, whereas humans should be able to do many things well. Mr. Smith displays that diversity.

And, on topic, he knows a buttload about optics. :D

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    I think that for my uses an Aimpoint would be perfect, but they are SO dang much money for someone who is just a recreational shooter. I wish to heck they made a $200 budget option or something.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think that for my uses an Aimpoint would be perfect, but they are SO dang much money for someone who is just a recreational shooter. I wish to heck they made a $200 budget option or something.

Be aware that Aimpoint makes a lot of different models, not just the Comp M series and the new Micro series.

There is also the option of getting a used Aimpoint that is still in good working condition. If you keep your eyes open, you might be able to find a Comp M2 in the $200 range.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think that for my uses an Aimpoint would be perfect, but they are SO dang much money for someone who is just a recreational shooter.

I know what you mean. However, the Aimpoint really is a "buy it once" optic. They batteries, even in the ML2 and ML3 models, last forever. The new models have insane battery life (80,000 hours? are you kidding?)

Buying good optics is a bit of a tough pill to swallow. But, it is better that than trying to get by cheap, finding out that it doesn't really work the way it should/you wanted it to/etc. and THEN having to spend money you should have on top the money you already spent on what you don't want or what doesn't work (sorry, that was a big run on, I know.)

If you follow the advice of "spend at least as much on your optic as you did on the rifle", then the Aimpoint is a steal. The situation you never want to be in is to have a rifle (or any gun, for that matter) that is limited by the optic or sighting system that is on it. In a perfect world, we'd choose our optic first, then build a rifle around it. ;)

Zak Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Rhino, you crack me up.

You guys might find this one interesting; I just put it online:

135_3507_img_icon.jpg

article | Evolution of the 3-Gun Practical Rifle

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Dude! Welcome! I don't know how the heck you found your way to our little corner, but I hope you become a regular as your schedule allows (I think you'll find us somewhat more "hospitable" than some other forums where neither of us frequent anymore).

Had I known you'd show up, I would have expressed my real opinions! :D

Rhino, you crack me up.

You guys might find this one interesting; I just put it online:

135_3507_img_icon.jpg

article | Evolution of the 3-Gun Practical Rifle

Top Bottom