• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Is there some secret to this?? My brother has one and asked me to help him take it down. Getting the slide off is easy enough. Getting the barrel out is not. The manual states to push the spring forward and then insert the take down tool, a small allen wrench, into a hole on the guide rod. The diagram in the book shows two holes in the guide rod. We could only find one.

We never did get the barrel out of the slide. If we would have had more time maybe I could have figured it out. So does anyone have any experience with this pistol?

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Push the guide rod forward, insert a paper clip made into an "L" into the hole in the guide rod, and remove the reverse plug, guide rode, and recoil spring out the rear.

the barrel will side out the front of the slide after the recoil assembly is removed.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I have one of these for my Kimber Tactical Ultra II.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibu7hAHVK5k&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - 1911 Ultra Tool[/ame]

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Yes it costs $25 and it works VERY well; makes taking my Kimber down a breeze.

I got it when I bought my Kimber- came with the package deal - I'd buy one again if I had to.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Tool is totally unnecessary. Just bend a paper clip.

Not really. The large sturdy paper clips never fit through the hole and the small paper clips that fit are too flimsy.
    It's only like six bucks for a pack of five real ones from Kimber.
    But I do like that brass tool...never seen one before, but that certainly peaks my interest!
    Otherwise, that's the method I use for take down.
    Just like in this vid:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Ly2Ho1D-4]YouTube - Kimber Ultra Carry II[/ame]

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    You can buy the steel wire at Hobby Lobby for .79 that will make 3 or 4 of them. I have several... Send me your address and I will send you one.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    I ran into the same issue on my buddies kimber....The small little allen wrench like tool is often lost in the box and we just used a paperclip. I have found that youtube can be a powerful tool when i stumble across things like this i am unaware of:D How did we all survive years ago without the internet?:n00b:

Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    Ditto on the large paper clip. It's still a bit of a hassle but you gotta love the Kimber Ultra/pro Carry series. I have the Ultra II in stainless and I love it.

prostate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    That piece of brass cost $25???????????? I was going to get one until he said it was $25!
    I purchased a similar device, but made of hard plastic on the internet and it works just fine. I am no longer struggling to field strip this gun. It only cost me me 14 bucks .I'll try to post pics next time

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Ditto on the large paper clip.

How are you guys making them work?? Every one that I tried had a diameter that's bigger than the take down tool and won't fit!
    I just broke down and bought a pack of them from Kimber...what was I doing wrong that they didn't work for me?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For what I spent on the Kimber, another $25 will not break the bank. That's the tool that Kimber should ship with the gun, not the bent wire thingy. But, if they'd rather put their time and energy into making the gun run better instead of improving the bit of wire used to disassemble it, then I'm OK with that too.

Top Bottom