• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    What size is it? I don't have much space honestly... I'll do some measuring.
    Hey, if ya get a copy of the afore mentioned "Square Foot Gardening" you will see that you don't need that much space, and you will plant your veggies in such a way as to maximize space and harvest season. We had two beds that were 4'x4' and that was a good start.

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    Here is the area I plan to use for the tomatoes and maybe something else.

001-2.jpg

And here is the side in which I plan on using for the rest. Of course it will be cleaned up by then.

002-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Here is the area I plan to use for the tomatoes and maybe something else.
    Try peppers and, believe it or not, carrots. Carrots and tomatoes grow well together. Anyplace that grows tomatoes is also usually a very good place for growing peppers.

And here is the side in which I plan on using for the rest. Of course it will be cleaned up by then.
    Consider some 'permaculture' plants like Blueberry bushes or other bush plants that will mature and grow fruit. They add vertical growing space to your garden (blueberry bushes are 5 to 6 feet tall). A couple of them can produce quite a bit. Doyles Blackberries may also work well for you, they claim to be super productive and best of all are thorn free. I've not proven the super productive part yet, my plants are still a bit young to produce the claimed gallons of fruit per plant.

Also look at some of the espaliered apple trees, they are specially trained to grow in very narrow spaces and can actually be grown against a wooden fence like is shown in your photos. Raintree Nursery is an internet source for them. There are also 'pole' varieties of apples that grow in a single narrow column that are great for growing along a fence line, they remain about 18" in diameter and grow straight up and never get too tall.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    If you used raised beds, that section by the house would work well. There is also a system called "French Intensive Beds" or "double dug", where you dig into the ground, but also use a raised bed, might work as well. Hard to say, as it looks like you are in an urban area and need to find where your utility lines are?

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    In the first pic above I have cleaned that up drastically and removed all the gravel and removed about 2in. of soil with gravel mixed into it with a hoe and roofing shovel. I will post some pics after I get it tilled and some tomato plants planted.

Wow I have really put this off haven't I? :D

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom