• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    I'm starting to collect my gear, and I want to invest in some decent eye protection. I wear glasses continuously, but I don't want to rely on my prescription frames for protection. Most of the shooting glasses I see are not made to go over glasses.

Do they make shooting goggles for those of us who wear glasses? Or would ANSI-rated safety goggles be a decent (if ugly) option?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'd suggest that you look into Rx safety / shooting glasses.

I use the ESS Ice system with the Rx insert.

Not ideal - but it sure beats the pants off of the safety glasses on top of my Rx.

-J-

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I'm starting to collect my gear, and I want to invest in some decent eye protection. I wear glasses continuously, but I don't want to rely on my prescription frames for protection. Most of the shooting glasses I see are not made to go over glasses.

Do they make shooting goggles for those of us who wear glasses? Or would ANSI-rated safety goggles be a decent (if ugly) option?

I use lab safety glasses, but w/o my prescription eyeware. I find I can focus on the gun sights w/o glasses and still make out the fuzzy target. I tried it the other way (with glasses behind safety goggles and wasn't as accurate. I'm near sighted. YEMV

MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    Great ideas - thank you.
    I really like those ICE with the inserts - just a little beyond my budget right now. Definitely something to look forward to in the future.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    If you dont want to spend a lot you can find many safety glasses that fit over your glasses for $10 - $20 (to include goggles you 4 wheeling guys) on Amazon. I used these at one time but now that my eyes have been worked on I dont shoot with prescription glasses anymore.

Here is a sample from Amazon:

Amazon.com: shooting glasses fit over

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yeah... the ESS Ice aren't the cheapest, that's for sure. Then add in the Rx and the insert... and I added one more lens on top.

So far, I've only used the clear and the darkest tint. The yellow and the reddish ones are unused so far...

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    My fiance and I are both fellow 4-eyes, and we use these when we are at the range. The are comfortable, and keep our peepers (and the $200-400 hardware in front of them) safe from flying pieces of brass or lead.

Mom22byz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Franklin County
    Just ordered a pair of these
    415hdwxPvwL._SX38_SY50_CR,0,0,38,50_.jpg
    to go over my Rx glasses. Hopefully, they will fit. I will report back once I get them and can try them out. It is frustrating having to wear Rx glasses while shooting and not being able to find the correct fit in the run of the mill eye protection. This is definetly not an area where one size fits all.

Mom22byz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Franklin County
    Received the shooting glasses from Amazon in the mail yesterday. I am impressed!!! They acutally fit over my Rx glasses (bow tie shaped) and provided great protection. Cannot wait to try them out on the range.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    If your eyeglass lenses are made of polycarbonate, they ARE safety glasses. They may not cover you eyes as well as shooting glasses, but they will work in a pinch.

Last edited:

BTSTEVE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Sellersburg
    My fiance and I are both fellow 4-eyes, and we use these when we are at the range. The are comfortable, and keep our peepers (and the $200-400 hardware in front of them) safe from flying pieces of brass or lead.

+1

I have these in the gray lenses and in the amber lenses, and they fit well over prescription glasses.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If your eyeglass lenses are made of polycarbonate, they ARE safety glasses. They may not cover you eyes as well as shooting glasses, they will work in a pinch.

+2

I was wondering when someone would bring that up. When I was going through training, my range master told me my glasses would work fine. And in Carmel, the land if liability, that says something, lol

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    +2

I was wondering when someone would bring that up. When I was going through training, my range master told me my glasses would work fine. And in Carmel, the land if liability, that says something, lol

Thanks; my mom worked in the eye wear industry for almost 20 years. I guess a little rubbed off. :D

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I just ordered a pair from Cabelas....They're the Champion Over Spec shooting glasses with the amber lens. They are great! Honestly, I really think they help with target clarity. They fit perfect over my glasses, are light weight and don't bother me at all and they were only $15!

Last edited:

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    I just got a the safety glasses that JimmyR linked to. They fit perfectly over my eyeglasses and are clear without distortion. The only drawback I can find is they do have some glare. I got the clear lensed ones and will order a amber and grey to see how they are.

Hoosier Daddy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    I bought a couple over-the-glasses type at Gander Mountain recently. One clear, one amber. They were only around $7 or $8 I think.

Top Bottom