Experience with Shield Plus Performance Center 9mm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    My EDC is normally an M&P 9c with CT laser sight....Been thinking lately I would like something different with similar capacity and maybe a little smaller for concealment. I jumped on the micro 9 bandwagon for a bit and purchased a P365...nice for concealment but I am 6'4" and have larger hands and just don't shoot it well...Got a Hellcat with the same result, grips are too small for me, so I'll be selling or trading it. One I have been looking at is the Shield Plus Performance Center 9mm with 3.1" barrel and fiber optic sights....Watched a few videos of reviews and the Shield Plus got pretty good comments...We only have 2 ranges here that rent handguns and neither of them have one in their lineup and I don't know anyone who owns one...

Just wondering if anyone has real world experience with this particular Shield? I think sometimes, the guys online that do reviews tend to say what they think people or even makers want to hear...I would much prefer opinions good or bad from real world users....Thanks for any comments...

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I have both the 3.1 inch and the 4 inch. I do shoot the 4" better but sometimes choice of clothes dictate what I carry.
    I am 5'8" and 150 lbs, If I were you're size I think the 4' would hide any where. Good luck!

Dante1983

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2021
    I’m not as tall as you, but I come from a long line of ditch diggers and field tile layers with the hands to match. 5’10 240ish. I had the same experience with the 365 and the hellcat. Too small, ok, kinda, with the extended mag. But meh. The shield plus fits me fine tho. I’ve only taken it to the range once, but fired for a few hours with no hiccups. I’m a fan. Conceals easy. Got a custom holster at usds in greenwood for 5 bucks more than the ones off the shelf. Not as accurate as I’m used to considering I always used to carry revolvers, but I’m pretty sure a whole lot of that is me. Mine also has the external safety. My one complaint is that it’s tiny. Kinda wish I’d of gone without the safety now.

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    UPDATE....Called around and found a range about 20 miles away that had a Shield Plus in their rental lineup....Went there yesterday morning and shot it...it was the Shield Plus with 3.1" barrel....had no similar trouble I have had with the Hellcat and P365 shooting low and left....Fired about 20 rounds with all in the center 3" circle from 25 feet....I went out and asked the rangemaster if I could take a break and go look in the store and he said that was fine...Got in there and they had a Shield Plus Performance Center in 4" barrel as well as a Plus 3.1 (not Performance Center)...I figured if I shot the 3.1" that well, the Performance Center 4" with the fiber optic sights and longer barrel couldn't be any worse...I took and chance and bought it for only $30 more than the Plus with 3.1" barrel and back to the range I went...

I could not be happier...shot it some better than the rental Shield....Little less recoil and more accurate...performed perfectly....it's only 3/8" longer than the EDC I had (M&P 9c) but about 1/4" thinner as well as 3 oz. lighter...Went again the morning to fine tune and get used to it...After a few rounds I started getting it dialed in and very pleased with it overall....My only concern is the fiber optic sights....Lighting at the range is somewhat sketchy...I found in the low light, the sights were far from bright, turning what I would say is grayish and hard to see...I backed up about half a step and the sights lit right up. Pic below is in good light at 25 feet...overall it is definitely a keeper...Thanks everyone for the comments, very much appreciated....

Attachments

• M&P1.JPG
      M&P1.JPG
      177.6 KB · Views: 11

armiker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Just purchased the new performance model and waiting for arrival, never had anything ported. Looking forward to see if any differences in ported vs regular model. I do love the hellcat with apez trigger.

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    Just purchased the new performance model and waiting for arrival, never had anything ported. Looking forward to see if any differences in ported vs regular model. I do love the hellcat with apex trigger.
    Mine isn't ported but I too am curious if that makes a significant difference...once you take it for a test drive, please let us know your thoughts....

I really like the Hellcat too but I just don't shoot the Micro compacts well...I have tried a couple all with the same result....Thought maybe the Apex trigger would help but sadly it did not...The 4" Performance Center Shield is just right for me at least...perfect balance of size, shootability and concealment....

Last edited:
    Top Bottom