• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Aug 26, 2009
    I've searched for muzzle brake info on INGO and it seems to only lead me to AR/AK discussion. I'm highly interested in their effects on high powered bolt guns.

I've managed to hack up my Mosin M44 to the point of no return so I guess its time to ruin it just a little more.

The barrel on my Mosin is currently about 17 inches. I have heard stories about high power hunting rifles with very little kick because of muzzle brakes. Do they make a HUGE difference when you choose the correct one? I'm not against spending money on my Mosin, I think these guns are worth it.

Any recommendations on brand? Any before and after experiences? Thanks!

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Ruger M77 in 300 win mag...when I bought it I had a local gunsmith machine on a muzzle break. The barrell is stainless and the smith job is so good you can't tell where the factory barrel ends and the break begins.

As to your question...I think the break helps a lot with reducing the felt recoil. My rifle is on the all weather stock so there is not a lot of weight to back up a stout round...with the break attached I can shoot the gun comfortably and especially don't have any trigger jerk in anticipation of the recoil. It really helps when hunting because I don't have to worry about any flinching. I took my moose with this set up and put 3 rounds in a 5 inch circle off habd at 90 yards in under 2 seconds.....Moose took five steps and fell in a heep.:):

My advise is to locate a good smith and get his help. I wouldn't think of removing mine.:twocents:

lildave

Plinker
    Dec 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    They do help on some guns, and like ambushuter said it depends and the gun. I will caution you that if you intend on using one on a guided hunt you may consider one that can be removed. A friend of mine is a guide in Wy. and he hates them. They do have a lot of muzzle blast and when the guide is next to you it doesn't go over well. In fact some guides require that you remove them or use another rifle. What ever you decide, good luck.

Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Aug 26, 2009
    Great info guys. No worries about removal and hunting. This gun is intended to be a 30-75 yard fruit and random target slayer. Keep up the great replies and the brand names are appreciated.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    OPS, Inc Brakes gets good reviews as does Holland QD Brakes (Quick Discharge). There is also a good brake called the PainKiller brake. You might look for brakes on LongRangeHunting.com. Good luck finding what you are looking for

"Painkiller" muzzle brake - LongRangeHunting.com Online Magazine and Forums

Kirby Allen is the guy that makes the painkiller. He also sells and installs the Defensive Edge DE Brake and the Holland QD Brakes.

Last edited:

slow1911s

Master
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    JP Enterprises Recoil Eliminator is supposed to be excellent on bolt rifles. It is also known as the "tank brake".

694.jpg

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    JP Enterprises Recoil Eliminator is supposed to be excellent on bolt rifles. It is also known as the "tank brake".

Have you used this? I've actually heard bad things about it. Saying it didn't reduce recoil nearly as much as others in the same price range. I was just curious, can never seem to find anyone who's used it.

x10

Master
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I had a standard brake put on a 308 and 3006 and have to say they do reduce recoil by a large amount but they also greatly increase noise and blast, It is very unpleasant for people to either side of me, Some competitors intentionally put brakes on their guns to disrupt other shooters. that is a bit cheesy so thats why I always try to get on the end by myself and warn everyone, I had a detached retina years ago and reduction in recoil was mandated.

They work but with a 17 inch bbl your going to really get beat up by the blast

my brakes came from brownells and they are the standard old configuration but I can't remember the brand

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    It is very unpleasant for people to either side of me ... I always try to get on the end by myself and warn everyone

I do the same. My brake I wouldn't say makes the gun louder but more of the sound is directed back instead of forward. I've had people shooting next me say it feels like someone punched them in the chest.

slow1911s

Master
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Have you used this? I've actually heard bad things about it. Saying it didn't reduce recoil nearly as much as others in the same price range. I was just curious, can never seem to find anyone who's used it.

Sorry, I have not. I am going off of the opinions of people I know. What makes a good brake, at least in terms of recoil reduction, is bearing surface on the first baffle. Just about nothing out there touches it in that respect. The question is, for most anyway, is can you handle the looks of it?

Here's a search on the topic at brianenos.com: Search Form

Here's another at Sniper's Hide: Most effective muzzle brake ? - Sniper's Hide Forums

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I was just curious as I've never found anyone with personal experience.

I did most of my research on Longrangehunting.com There are a lot of people over there with big bore rifles that needed a lot of recoil reduction. Everything I've read, the OPS, Inc brakes and Holland brakes out perform the JP plus the look A LOT better.

I'm one of those that wouldn't be able to get past the looks. Anyway, thanks for the info and the links.

slow1911s

Master
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The thing to keep in mind is that the JP brakes (all of them, not just the tank brake) were designed for follow-up shots. Situations where performance trumps looks.

Now that I've had another sip of coffee, I have shot a JP tank brake, but it was on a AR-15 (Tony Holmes' match rifle). That thing shot like a 10/22.

Lyudmilla

Plinker
    Jan 29, 2010
    Don't declaw the lioness

Why would you want to put a muzzle brake on an M44? That's like declawing a lioness. Sure she won't hurt you as bad when she strikes you, but you won't stand in awe of the old girl when she no longer rips your shoulder off when you tickle her under the chin.

Leave the muzzle brake off of your M44 and honor her for the hateful beast that she is.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Why would you want to put a muzzle brake on an M44? That's like declawing a lioness. Sure she won't hurt you as bad when she strikes you, but you won't stand in awe of the old girl when she no longer rips your shoulder off when you tickle her under the chin.

Leave the muzzle brake off of your M44 and honor her for the hateful beast that she is.

That's what occurred to me when I read the OP. I understand that at this point your rifle is a curiosity or experimental thing, but I don't think there are a lot of ways this is going to pay you back, and takes a lot away from the experience of shooting a Mosin.

In my own opinion, I strongly dislike muzzle brakes, under a lot of circumstances they don't pay off. But, like anything else with shooting, it's generally the indian and not the arrow. Some people can effectively use a muzzle brake to deliver an aimed, accurate follow-up, but those people tend to be pretty thin on the ground. What you wind up with is everyone having a muzzle brake and sucking even more because of it. It makes a rifle obnoxiously loud, or at least focuses the report in a pattern that is directed at those near you, and it's just one more reason for people to spray and pray. Even more so with anything semi-auto. Basically, I feel that muzzle brakes allow people to suck faster and in more ways.

Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Aug 26, 2009
    I basically have a goal for a gun.

--Moderately light weight (easy to carry)
    --semi accurate ( honestly a notebook paper at 100 would make me very happy)
    --carbine length(easy to carry/transport)
    --fast target acquisition (aimpoint mirco CLONE)
    --INSANE knock down power (M44 is famous for)
    --cheap bang for the buck (7.62x54r is not bad)
    --bolt action w/extra rounds

After having the gun for 3 years and barely shooting it I decided to hack it up a bit. I'm a fabricator and machinist so gunsmith work has always been a curiosity of mine. I know there isn't much to do with a Mosin, but its a cheap experiment if I decide to just give up on it.

I understand people not wanting to molest a Mosin, but I have come to the conclusion that I can find one and probably have it in possession within thirty minutes, probably 24 hours a day, 365 days per year. They have only gone up in price about $40 in the last 9 years so I'm not worried about a price spike. When the time is right I will get another one to leave it stock for sure, but at this time I'm just messing around.

Thanks for all the great muzzle brake info folks.

Top Bottom