Experience Hiking/Backpacking in Montana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deadeye(+)

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2015
    Bainbridge
    Hello looking to talk with anyone who has had experience hiking in areas of Montana. Never been but hoping to go this year and needing some intel. Any help would be appreciated. Wanting to plan a week in out there. I've looked into going for to the Absaroka-Beartooth wilderness, thought about galatin. Everything is based off of pictures though. Not really set on any one place. I'd say my experience level is somewhere around "advanced", I've spent a lot of time in the wilderness but as I said never in Montana. Anyone have any suggestion of areas and/or time of year? Thanks

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Haven't been to MT yet, but several folks on the Backpacker forums live near or like going to the A-B area. My favorite area so far is the Wind River Range SE of there in WY. Definitely July - mid Sep unless you are prepared for significant snow/ice travel.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I've never hiked in that area, but this past summer my wife and I went to Glacier and we day hiked the Highline and Loop Trails, and I went alone one day and hiked near Logan Pass visitor's center. Anything in W. Montana and many areas in Wyoming are great for hiking. If there are bears and wolves in your area, plan accordingly. I didn't take a gun with me, just rented bear spray while in Glacier. I'm going to Yellowstone this coming summer and I found a bear spray rental place that I'll likely rent from. Right now I'm going back to popular parks I've visited before but never got to hike (mostly sightseeing the first time around).

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Very familiar with Yellowstone, done multiday back country with daughter. Send me a PM if you want to discuss.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    My focus has always been hunting it, but that has involved plenty of hiking. For my purposes the northern Gallatins have proven the most fertile ground, somewhere between points defined by Gardiner / Big Sky / Bozeman / Livingston. The closer you get to Bozeman the 'busier' the trails get.

If I just wanted to sightsee, somewhere around Labor Day through the end of October would be the sweet spot.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    You'll love it. You'll take a million pictures. I haven't been in Montana but several trips to Wyoming and Colorado. Only been as far North as Big Horn mountains in Northern Wyoming. Incredible. Good GPS a must but you probably already know that. I'd suggest going mid sept or earlier.

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    Check out the hike up to Mystic Lake. There are several smaller lakes in a chain that you can hike to. I only made it to Mystic as we were limited on time and had some newer backpackers with us when we went. I have good friends that have a crazy story about a trip up there one year though. Ends with someone putting cat food and fish remains in their camp one night. I think they were trying to be scared away due to a missing persons report. Be careful out there.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Yellowstone and Glacier on multi-day trips in the back country. I have several friends who spend a lot of time in the Bob Marshall Wilderness and I've been once. Not yet been to the A-B but it's on my list.

I carry my G20 with custom hot loaded hard cast 200gr and the largest bear spray you can get. August is great as the blueberries and huckleberries are ripe and you don't have to fight the grizzlies much for them. Be aware that up in the mountains you can get hit with weather any time of the year and it can be harsh, esp. at higher elevations.

Top Bottom