• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Let's face it... Many of us probably have many more guns than we need, but not nearly quite as many as we want... But has anybody ever got the urge to simplify and downsize to only what they truly need? I understand some are forced by economic conditions and have no choice, but I get get this weird feeling sometings of how I would like to just have my goto stuff and trim the fat... Then the other side of me says, "Hell no! I got some cool stuff and even though it doesn't get used much, if at all, I sure do like it..." Any others get this strange urge?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I don't know about simplifying, but before I lost 95% of my gun collection in the house fire, I had started on a path towards owning fewer guns of higher quality that I shot more.

Now several years later I have fewer guns, and I shoot them a lot more. The most expensive and highest quality guns I used to own are of similar ilk to the low end of my assortment now.

a5-50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I have close to 200 guns and I can not for the life of think of one that I would get rid of. I did sell some scopes off a while ago. But mostly because I did not need them.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i sort of get what your saying, but i just cant really bring myself to get rid of any of my guns. i have sold a few in the past, but only to go towards the purchase of another gun. the last one i sold was one that i would never carry and it was for range only. with ammo prices the way they are these days i like to shoot what i carry and spend the rest of the range trip plinking wit my .22 for the most part all of my collection now has a specific purpose and they all get used one way or another.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Since the ammo panic I've considered altering my collection for commonality of calibers, and have actually let this be a determining factor in most of my recent purchases. My first instinct when the panic started was to make sure I had something in every common caliber because there was no way to tell what ammo would be avail.....In short, I won't sell any, ever, but I will continue to make my purchases based on keeping the calibers the same, It makes ammo purchases simpler and keeps the ammo closet from being such a mess when there are only 3 calibers to stockpile.....

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I have close to 200 guns and I can not for the life of think of one that I would get rid of. I did sell some scopes off a while ago. But mostly because I did not need them.

If you need someone to include in your last will and testament, I know a guy who'll suffice... :D

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    9mm, 40 S&W, 22LR, .223, .308, and of course 7.62x54r

I eliminated several others and added to the ones I will keep.

If I didn't carry a 40 it would be gone too.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    A few years ago, I streamlined the number of calibers I shoot as well as the types of platforms. I'd be hard pressed to get rid of anything that's left without really missing it, unless I was replacing it with something better. Every time a new gun comes out, I have a pang of "man, that'd be cool," but it passes quickly and I know I'm better off from both a training and an economic standpoint.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I recently started doing this. I am ruthlessly eliminating everything except 12 gauge, 9mm and .22LR. I may add 7.62x39, but this is Indiana. I don't personally feel an urgent need for a rifle caliber. I will not necessarily cut back to just 3 or 4 guns though.

lewisjt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.1%
    113   1   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Hancock Co.
    Most all my guns are 9mm, 223, and 12G. Now gun money goes mostly to ammo with a few impulse purchases. Try to justify owning each gun by putting a reason behind ownership. HD, SHTF, Plinking, Hunting, EDC are my typical justifications.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Question is, what do you need? Firearms are pretty specialized tools. If one wants a battery that will be enable one to do most of the various things of which firearms capable, several are required.

For one person, a collection consisting of:

1. a medium bore dual-use rifle (.308, .30-06, .270, etc),
    2. a smaller bore dual-use rifle (5.56, 7.62x39, etc),
    3. a dual use shotgun
    4. a full-size defensive handgun,
    5. a compact defensive handgun,
    6. a working handgun,
    7. a 22lr rifle,
    8. a 22 lr pistol,
    9. and an air rifle,

is a pretty capable collection. That's 9 guns. If one has a wife and/or a family of any size, you can see how this number could multiply.
    And, this is a strictly utilitarian list. If one wants a gun or two just because they're fun, cool, collectable, or it belonged to grandpa, that's even more.

I did do a little simplifying back in 1998 by getting out of all my 380 acps. That was one caliber, I didn't feel any need for at the time (and still have little use for).

When I think of the number of screwdrivers I have in various sizes and shapes (flat, philips, torx), and sockets and wrenches (English and metric), etc., it doesn't bother me much.

Even something as simple as a hammer requires a few to do what's needed (i.e. tack, carpenter, sledge, mallet, etc.).

Last edited:

smccabe17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    I have been thinking the same thing. Get rid of the few guns that I don't ever use, and focus my money into higher quality guns or doubling up on current guns. I now have 3 Glock 19's. 1 as a carry, one for my fiance, and the other as a back up. I am also looking at a really nice double barrel 20ga. I would rather save up instead of buying two crappy ones.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    There are a couple schools of thought on this:

1. The shallow and wide school - maintaining a broad range of firearms and calibers but in relatively shallower supply. Flexible. Resistant to logistical/supply changes. Various capabilities. Someone taking this approach may have lots of different types of guns and calibers, but fewer parts, mags, and less of an ammunition supply.

2. The narrow and deep school - maintaining a narrow range of firearms and calibers but in relatively deeper supply. Familiarity with chosen systems. Simplified logistics. Economies of scale. More specialized capabilities. Someone taking this approach may have fewer types of guns and calibers, but more spare parts, mags, and a greater supply of ammunition.

Depends on ones circumstances and goals.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    As others have stated - simplified by caliber.

No more 9mm, .380, .32, .40, .44. for me. Fun but too much stuff floating around.

Staying with, 5.56, 7.62x39, .22lr, 12 ga., .45 acp (of course), .38/.357

Although I am wanting something in .308.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I have every caliber I want and try to resist the temptation to expand, but will replace what I have with newer or better. I would rather buy more ammo. :rockwoot:

Indysioux

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Carmel IN
    Conceptually I understand, because we periodically do this with other parts of our lives. I'm following the shallow and broad rule with my firearms. Of course, I am nowhere near 200, so I don't have any plans to downsize.

Good luck with that project. :yesway:

Disclaimer - I do have several items I am holding for my son. Not allowed to hand them over until the front office gives the okay ;)

Top Bottom