• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scott86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Warsaw
    Hi I'm new to INGO. I have an Enfield 1917 chambered in 30-06 it has a ladder sight and the problem I'm having is at 100 yards my shot is high, we'll say about a foot and a half, which is about the height of my front sight post which can't be adjusted and the ladder is at the lowest setting. So the only thing I can come up with is maybe finding a gunsmith to add to or make a new longer front sight. I should also mention that the gun has been completely redone and is in what I would consider immaculate condition. I'm open to new ideas and or recommendations on gunsmiths you would trust to do this type of work. Thanks in advance.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Maybe your front sight is filed down. Maybe not. Your pic shows a front sight like every other 1917 I have ever seen.

Your rifle is supposed to shoot high at 100 yards. At the lowest setting that is a 300 yard zero. It is called a Battle Sight Zero. It is normal for many military bolt guns.

Shoot it at 300 yards using the aperature and report back.

Jerry Johnson is the only person I would trust to work on your rifle. Other than me.

Last edited:

scott86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Warsaw
    Maybe your front sight is filed down. Maybe not. Your pic shows a front sight like every other 1917 I have ever seen.

Your rifle is supposed to shoot high at 100 yards. At the lowest setting that is a 300 yard zero. It is called a Battle Sight Zero. It is normal for many military bolt guns.

Interesting, I was unaware of this "battle sight zero". I will definitely have to try it at 300 yards.
    So I would be under the assumption that if this is the case and say it is not filed and I wanted to make this a "more pratical rifle" what I would be asking for is a custom job on the front sight post?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

Jerry Johnson is the only person I would trust to work on your rifle. Other than me.

Oh, the details.... :rolleyes:

But the early 1903s had a ladder with a 100 yd demark on it. I don't own a 1917, doesn't it have a rear similar to the later generation 1903 and M1 Carbine?

I'm asking because I'm curious, no other reason.

scott86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Warsaw
    I don't know anything about the 1903 or the M1 rear site because I've never handled either. But when I have my rear site flipped up on its lowest setting there is a number two
    image.jpg
    and at its highest setting it's at a number 16
    image.jpg
    When the latter is down there is another peephole that does not have a number but I would assume that it is a number one.
    image.jpg

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    It's the battle site. It was meant so you could easily guestimate the range and hit a man-sized target. The lowest setting should be spot on at roughly 300 yards. The reason for being high at 100 was so you could aim at the belt buckle from 100-300 yards and still hit center mass. Makes it easier to pop off quick shots at moving targets.

You'll need to get a taller front sight. Same problem is found on Mausers and Lee-Enfields.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I don't know anything about the 1903 or the M1 rear site because I've never handled either. But when I have my rear site flipped up on its lowest setting there is a number two
    View attachment 34113

The ladder sight should go down a good bit farther than that. If you look closely you can see the mark on the right and left indicates between 4 & 5.

On the lowest detent the ladder sight should be about .050" lacking from touching the battle sight aperture.

The ladder sight should run down far enough to touch the battle sight, but there isn't a detent that low.

Should look like this:

IMG_2434_zps55401773.jpg

Spin out the stop screw on the top, depress the detent and run it clean off the top - clean up everything, reassemble(the stop screw goes in the back side not the front as you have pictured) and see what happens.

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Hi I'm new to INGO. I have an Enfield 1917 chambered in 30-06 it has a ladder sight and the problem I'm having is at 100 yards my shot is high, we'll say about a foot and a half, which is about the height of my front sight post which can't be adjusted and the ladder is at the lowest setting. So the only thing I can come up with is maybe finding a gunsmith to add to or make a new longer front sight. I should also mention that the gun has been completely redone and is in what I would consider immaculate condition. I'm open to new ideas and or recommendations on gunsmiths you would trust to do this type of work. Thanks in advance.

Normal for a lot of WWI/WWII bolt guns. They were designed for long range zeros at 200 to 300 yards.

Close range is for that gun supposed to be shot with the sight folded down.

With the Mosin they just told the grunts to aim for belt buckles.

scott86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Warsaw
    I got the chance to shoot at 200 yards today and I'm now about 2.5 feet straight above the point of aim. So now I'm not sure if there will be enough drop to hit the target at 300 yards.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I got the chance to shoot at 200 yards today and I'm now about 2.5 feet straight above the point of aim. So now I'm not sure if there will be enough drop to hit the target at 300 yards.

One of two things happening. You either are not holding hard or there is something wrong with your rear sight. Are you using that sling?

Be sure to look at fireball168's post. He told you how to fix your rear sight. 18 inches high at 100 yards and 30 inches high at 200 yards is very suspicious.

If you like, I could meet you at FWRR and check it out with you.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Fold the sight down and see if the close in (battle sight) peep is on target, that should tell you if your ladder isn't going down all the way, or if the front sight is filed.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The ladder sight should go down a good bit farther than that. If you look closely you can see the mark on the right and left indicates between 4 & 5.

On the lowest detent the ladder sight should be about .050" lacking from touching the battle sight aperture.

The ladder sight should run down far enough to touch the battle sight, but there isn't a detent that low.

Spin out the stop screw on the top, depress the detent and run it clean off the top - clean up everything, reassemble(the stop screw goes in the back side not the front as you have pictured) and see what happens.

Good info! Repped.

scott86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Warsaw
    Well I obviously can't pm yet until I get 50 posts which is total B.S. So Sloughfoot please tell me where this FWRR is?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Well I obviously can't pm yet until I get 50 posts which is total B.S. So Sloughfoot please tell me where this FWRR is?

Hang in there. The guys with the good answers will get to you. I now think it's a matter of training you to know what the sights are set to do.

Top Bottom