• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I agree that some cops won't give you a hard time about having to secure it in a locked compartment in the ambulance in case of life, limb, or sight emergency that requires a load and go mentality, but keep in mind there will possibly be jerks in the police department as there is in all walks of life. Use your best judgement, and hell, if its a severe enough situation that you just load straight into the rig with a quick trauma assessment you might not catch it until you do a thorough secondary exam. Giving it over right away might not always be an option. Now i'm going to talk to my boss about possibly hosting a firearm safety class...

That's why all EMT's should get their LTCH, to comply with the law! :ingo:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Thanks, Jar_Head. I don't work in Indy, but if I did, considering the hassle IMPD reportedly gives law-abiding, peaceable gun owners, I might modify my practice. I would likely counsel ALL persons found armed at home and
    not known to be in violation of any laws to leave the gun there..

The last I heard, IMPD was not only keeping firearms for months, even in absence of a case regarding that owner or gun, but they were also requiring that the person submit his/her fingerprints to get it back... something gun owners in Indiana don't even have to do to buy the gun in the first place.

If this practice has changed since that report, I welcome the correction, but I suspect that all I'll hear will be the crickets chirping.

Again, thanks for the backup. Semper Fi.

Blessings,
    Bill

Aren't they also doing ballistics tests on them as well? Even though they weren't confiscated due to a crime..

I still can't believe nobody has challenged them on the fingerprint thing.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I work on an ambulance in NW Indiana and I can tell you that 99% of the time PD is already on scene. If there is a violent or gun crime PD is there and secures the scene before we arrive.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Thanks for all the answers, I was hoping for some actual EMTs who knew of SOP or policies, or absence of them. Nice to know the possibilities in advance just in case.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Going to side track just a second, What would you do if you were and EMT and you responded to an LEO involved in a car accident? With Severe Injuries?

We were told in Medic School not when we were in the academy, that if we had a LEO that was hurt (bad) to remove their gun belt and B.U.G. more advised to have a fellow LEO do it but it should be taken away A.S.A.P. Here is why......

If they begin to go into shock or have a head injury or anything that would happen to cause them to have decreased level of conciseness that their first reaction would be to recognize they were in trouble and possibly draw their side arm, as that is their training. I have read several articles in J.E.M.S. (Journal of Emergency Medical Services) that supports this.

So with a patient.....absolutely. In the city we call for LEO advise its a dangerous scene and let them handle it. I don't care about anyone out there as much as I do myself.. sorry but its true and its our training.

alxjmrk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Indy, Nora area
    Going to side track just a second, What would you do if you were and EMT and you responded to an LEO involved in a car accident? With Severe Injuries?

We were told in Medic School not when we were in the academy, that if we had a LEO that was hurt (bad) to remove their gun belt and B.U.G. more advised to have a fellow LEO do it but it should be taken away A.S.A.P. Here is why......

If they begin to go into shock or have a head injury or anything that would happen to cause them to have decreased level of conciseness that their first reaction would be to recognize they were in trouble and possibly draw their side arm, as that is their training. I have read several articles in J.E.M.S. (Journal of Emergency Medical Services) that supports this.

So with a patient.....absolutely. In the city we call for LEO advise its a dangerous scene and let them handle it. I don't care about anyone out there as much as I do myself.. sorry but its true and its our training.

this is why i am excited to learn more from you. you really have this stuff figured out

Greatestsin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Morgan Township, NWI

Thats a good point to keep in mind. And for the OP, in the EMS business its your safety first, before ANYTHING else. A dead medic is a useless medic.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Don't take this wrong sir, I'm a fan of yours. However, what if you are the patient, threatening to bleed out soon?

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    If the LEO was in a bad car accident he/she would be secured to the spine board and immobilizied, I'm not sure I'd want to disarm a LEO while he was confused from impact. lol

Top Bottom