• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billybob44_Jr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    Southern, IN/Louisvi
    Any tips on what to do with a concealed weapon when you get to work and work doesn't allow weapons? I'm not looking to start breaking into cars looking for guns, I just want some simple tips or tricks. Thanks for your help from a newbie. :rules:

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Purchase a car safe and leave it in the car. or dont carry on the trip. I would not recommend carrying and trying to hide it.

billybob44_Jr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    Southern, IN/Louisvi
    Sorry about the confusion on that post. I meant that I don't want you to give me the places/locations on your vehicle that you store your weapon. I'm just looking for general tips on what to do.

ModernS30

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Camby, Indiana
    I'll have to check out gun safes. Any luck on Amazon.com or is it better to shop around locally?

It is ALWAYS better to shop around locally. Support local business, buy local before you EVER buy on the internet. Ask if they can match the price before you buy online. Consider shipping, and maybe a few extra dollars spent to support the local economy and local jobs! :twocents:

That being covered, shopping around online to see what there is. Read reviews, and maybe have a better understanding of what you're looking to purchase may help you better locate the place locally to purchase that said item. :welcome::ingo:

While I'm posting, sort of on subject. I need to look into a car safe. Don't carry yet, but I will feel much better getting out of the car to go into work and leaving the gun in the car with a car vault. Quite a bit harder to break my window and walk off with a gun when its in a safe secured to the vehicle. :@ya:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would say to start looking for other possible methods of self protection while at the workplace.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I would just leave it in your car/truck and not advertise to ANY co-workers that you have it in your car/truck. In fact I rarely engage in "gun conversations" at work, because people are nosy, then they start wanting to know what all you own.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Any tips on what to do with a concealed weapon when you get to work and work doesn't allow weapons? I'm not looking to start breaking into cars looking for guns, I just want some simple tips or tricks. Thanks for your help from a newbie. :rules:
    Carry and don't tell them.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Carry and don't tell them.
    I certainly didn't do this, nor would I advise anyone to do this. If you are terminated for violating a legitimate employee rule, you may find it real hard to find other employment. Also you will not draw unemployment benefits. A gun vault can be bolted into your vehicle. The other option is to purchase an inexpensive firearms just for that purpose and take your chances, odds are unless you advertise the fact you keep a firearm in the vehicle or leave it exposed it will never be stolen.

Last edited:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Options

There are options:

1. Just leave it in your car.
    2. Just leave it in your car locked in a vault designed for the purpose.
    3. Leave a cheap gun in your car.
    4. You don't need to abide by the rules. Carry it concealed at work.
    5. Leave it at home.

#1, #2, and #3 all carry with them the possibility of losing your gun as well as your job and #4 guarantees termination. In that light, #5 sounds the most reasonable to me.

While there may be other options available, "guys on the internet said it would be OK" isn't going to help when you're trying to avoid being fired.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I would just leave it in your car/truck and not advertise to ANY co-workers that you have it in your car/truck. In fact I rarely engage in "gun conversations" at work, because people are nosy, then they start wanting to know what all you own.

If your going to have it thats your buisness but let me add. IF you do tell anyone you carry one they will rat you out in a heartbeat if they get into trouble for anything....even if it has nothing to do with you just to try to get Dad off their case!

Discretion is your friend and trust no one!

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    If your going to have it thats your buisness but let me add. IF you do tell anyone you carry one they will rat you out in a heartbeat if they get into trouble for anything....even if it has nothing to do with you just to try to get Dad off their case!

Discretion is your friend and trust no one!

You sir are correct.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... odds are unless you advertise the fact you keep a firearm in the vehicle or leave it exposed it will never be stolen.

Many firearms are stolen from vehicles. It's not a rare [FONT=&quot]occurrence[/FONT].

IF the OP decides to leave it in the vehicle, I'd suggesting securing it in some manner (OTHER, than simply locking the car).

Take a look at the following poll thread. Of the 71 respondents that sometimes keep a gun in a vehicle, 17 have had a firearm stolen - about 24%.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...728-ever_had_a_gun_stolen_from_a_vehicle.html

Routinely leaving an unsecured firearm in a vehicle is, imho, unprofessional and irresponsible.

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    Remove tempting items from view. Cell phone chargers, sunglasses, GPS units, packages, etc. Remove stickers etc. that advertise your interest in firearms or hunting. Tint your windows reasonably. make your vehicle grey as possible.

Don't tell anyone you carry.

Then use a Gun Vault or similar.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Sorry about the confusion on that post. I meant that I don't want you to give me the places/locations on your vehicle that you store your weapon. I'm just looking for general tips on what to do.

...and 2 followup questions, right? Where do you work and what's your license plate number?

;)

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    There are options:

5. Leave it at home.

#1, #2, and #3 all carry with them the possibility of losing your gun as well as your job and #4 guarantees termination.

Not quite true on losing your job for #1, #2 or #3. There are several places in Indiana that you CAN lose your job for keeping a firearm in your locked vehicle, but not very many. For the most part you are protected by the law as long as the weapon is secured in your locked vehicle, there is nothing most companies can do about it.

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Indiana law has passed a law I believe to allow weapons at the workplace as long as they are not brought into the workplace , with work hard to find I wouldn't chance it , and if I did no one would even know about it . Be careful if you work in a foreign trade zone

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Agreed with this... I've been party to a couple of conversations in a group like that and I always am distrustful of the person in the group who you don't know very well but wants to catalog everything you own. I usually mutter something about a tragic boating accident in that circumstance myself.

There are options:

5. Leave it at home.

#1, #2, and #3 all carry with them the possibility of losing your gun as well as your job and #4 guarantees termination. In that light, #5 sounds the most reasonable to me.

While there may be other options available, "guys on the internet said it would be OK" isn't going to help when you're trying to avoid being fired.

Except for the fact that state law now forbids most places for terminating you for it being in your car. That said, Indiana is an at will employment state, so they can terminate you for almost any other reason they want to make up.

Not quite true on losing your job for #1, #2 or #3. There are several places in Indiana that you CAN lose your job for keeping a firearm in your locked vehicle, but not very many. For the most part you are protected by the law as long as the weapon is secured in your locked vehicle, there is nothing most companies can do about it.

This is correct.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    My good friend lost his job of 22 years cuz the butt of his EDC was visible in his car at work. Indiana Law says if your in their parking lot gun must be out of sight. (entire Gun)
    If your going to leave a gun in your car make sure it's secure (and out of sight).

Top Bottom