• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I have been ordered to take an EMG test for some tingling and well some strange sensations in both arms. I also have tingling in my hands and fingers also. Some times they itch after I feel the tingle.
    I have read some horrifying replies on the internet about this. So I am wondering who if any have had this and how was it. Good , bad, no pain, any pain, how bad of pain? My neurologist was not very clear on what to expect but I have done research on line and I am not eager to have this done, but I do want to find out what the heck is going on. Thanks in advance for sharing.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    They will be in effect 'ringing' nerves in your arm to test the conductivity of the nerve channel. They likely will start with the shoulder as the initiation point then move down the arm to the elbow and then the wrist. its one of the ways to diagnose carpal tunnel problems. Each pulse is brief and will cause your muscles to contract and the arm to jump a bit. Personally I found little discomfort in the brief electric pulses.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    It's similar to being tased but without the boots on your neck.......and the K9 barking........and the handcuffs. (sorry, I had flashbacks)

Kidding....

You'll be fine.
    It's just little electrical pulses going through the muscles. It can make you twitch a bit so you don't be holding anything sharp. :):

Don't forget to post the video.

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    They will save the base of your thumb till last. It's the worst, but you'll survive it. Good luck with your test and diagnosis. If there is any specific motion, posture, or arm angle that precipitates your problem make sure they specifically test it.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    They will save the base of your thumb till last. It's the worst, but you'll survive it. Good luck with your test and diagnosis. If there is any specific motion, posture, or arm angle that precipitates your problem make sure they specifically test it.

I've had several and this is the truth. You'll do fine though!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Among many others I have had one of them. They aren't the worst I have had but they aren't the best either. You should be fine though so don't worry. A bit of twitching here and there and a little tingling is all I had happen

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    The test itself isn't all that bad. What is worse is what they may discover. I suffer ( the correct word ) from the effects of peripheral neuropathy. I am hoping this doesn't turn out to be your diagnosis but, if so, be prepared for the long haul of an incurable malady. It is not life threatening but does have a dramatic impact on your quality of life.

Hoping they find something minor and easily resolved?

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    When I heard the word needles being stuck into me that was enough for me. If it is like acupuncture then I can deal with that. I have had that done before. Well I guess I will go ahead and take the test and hopefully I will get a diagnosis of what I am experiencing. I hope my doctor will be easy on me. He hurt my leg the other day when he was examining me so it makes me wonder about his empathy for pain.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    When I heard the word needles being stuck into me that was enough for me. If it is like acupuncture then I can deal with that. I have had that done before. Well I guess I will go ahead and take the test and hopefully I will get a diagnosis of what I am experiencing. I hope my doctor will be easy on me. He hurt my leg the other day when he was examining me so it makes me wonder about his empathy for pain.

Hi, hope they find out quickly, went thru this and it was 2 compressed discs and that was where the numb and tingling came from (spinal fusion was the result) I have had 3 EMG and not sure what nazi came up with it but its not like acupuncture, they put the needle in and just for fun move it around , mine there was a electrical shock part which was not bad, but then came the put the needle in a wiggle it around. The worst was the palm of the hand. Each one I had was a little different but not much. Its over quick and the pain does not last long. Its over pretty quick. Hopefully they find out easily and effectively. Good luck. Tim

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Mine sucked. I swore I would never do one again. But that was 15 years ago. The equipment now is better and they can fine tune the results better. If you can sit for hours at a show in a lousy seat and deal with people the way you do this is a cake walk. Goodluck

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I've had several tests done on both legs from a back injury. While it was a bit uncomfortable it wasn't really painful. Don't get me wrong though.....it will get your attention.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I had one when I was diagnosed with severe ulnar nerve dysphagia. It's not pleasant, but nothing like being tasered. The test will identify the problem and that's what's important.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I thought my EMG was a cakewalk. They aren't real needles. Don't get me started on that damn coffin they call an MRI machine though...

Top Bottom