• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    6.5 PRC is a pretty popular one at the moment. Have a friend that went elk hunting this year, and took one with this caliber. Was pretty devastating. I think he was using the 143 eld-x. Youll get about 200fps more than standard 6.5 cm....
    have you priced ammo for prc? GB is only place I've seen it, last look was $4/rd. My buddy bought one against my advice. I told him cm ammo and components are out there but he wanted more fps. He has yet to shoot it.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    have you priced ammo for prc? GB is only place I've seen it, last look was $4/rd. My buddy bought one against my advice. I told him cm ammo and components are out there but he wanted more fps. He has yet to shoot it.
    Myself, and the one shooting that rifle reload... So the price of ammo isnt really a factor like it is with factory. If you are buying factory ammo i would definitely stay away the PRC.

Orezona

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2021
    Indiana
    I think the 6.5 PRC is a great caliber. Heck it pushes a 140 class bullet the same speed as a 7mm-08. What can possibly be bad?

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Lot of good calibers (270, 308, 30-06, 7-08, 6.5PRC, 300WM, 300 WSM etc.) for hunting elk, especially when looking at less than 300yds which is pretty typical. The 7RM is one of my preferred (this past year actually took 30-06).

My 7RM is a Tikka T3 Hunter and the 30-06 a Winchester Mod 70 (1982 vintage). Both are a little on heavy side, but I tend to move longer distance on horse, so I don't have to carry for hours. Bought a Ruger American SS in 7-08 and was very pleased with its accuracy for the $450 I paid for it.

Lot of good choices.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Guy I used to work with had a 25-06 that he hunted out west with for Elk. Not sure of the availability of ammo for it now. I had a 7mm RM for a while in just a Remington 700 ADL. It would shoot sub 1"MOA @ 100yds. I think ammo for both are scarce and expensive at the moment. I picked up the 7mm because it's almost identical to the 300 ballistics, but recoil is significantly less.
    I reload, so availability isnt an issue on ammo. Did find my old BDL 7 rem mag more comfy than my .300 winmag.

Old and falling apart, I suppose I could run my fudd rifle....a .30-06. LOL

jswift

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Grant County
    Hey Skip, good meeting you. I been going to CO elk hunting for a few years now. Getting ready to go again in Nov. '23 for 3rd season for the first time. I been using a Tikka Lite in 300win mag. Light gun, accurate out of the box. Good luck.

ed1838

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 20, 2022
    Seymour
    Won a raffle for Weatherby vanguard 300 win mag. Light and accurate, recoil is more than like shooting paper but when hunting and shooting game never notice it.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    We are debating between Wyoming and Colorado. We will go with a guide. I do not reload and my effective shooting range would be 300 yards and in. I have elk hunted Colorado with a bow 20 years ago and killed a cow on a DIY hunt.
    Thanks
    Skip
    At that range a good .270 would do the job well with more affordable ammo.

jerzyperson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2023
    St. Joseph County
    Growing up in wyoming. Take everything out of the equation. 30-06 will do what you need. Killed my first bull out at 350 yards. Killed my moose at 150 yards and doesn't destroy smaller large game like deer and antelope. Perfect one size fits all for western big game. I do use a 300 win mag now. But that's for a little more distance. The 30-06 I used growing up was my dad's. I'm still on the hunt for a steyr 30-06 to match ol reliable.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Growing up in wyoming. Take everything out of the equation. 30-06 will do what you need. Killed my first bull out at 350 yards. Killed my moose at 150 yards and doesn't destroy smaller large game like deer and antelope. Perfect one size fits all for western big game. I do use a 300 win mag now. But that's for a little more distance. The 30-06 I used growing up was my dad's. I'm still on the hunt for a steyr 30-06 to match ol reliable.
    I like my ugly and heavy Steyr .30-06 (Pro hunter) :)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My dad has 3 pro hunters. The point and say die 30-06 I grew up with. And he has 2 .300 win in pro hunter. What I wouldn't do to get my hands on a steyr 30-06 sbs pro hunter
    Yeah, they ditched the PH and came out with the hideous PH2 (Boyds Laminate). Now they have the PH back, w a round bolt knob, in what looks like CL II SX plastic stock.

Im a fan of the old PH ugly plastic stock and butterknife bolt.
    Got mine on closeout a yr or so ago.

I was thinking getting a CLII SX in shorter bbl and .308 as a second Steyr, but they never showed up stateside in that config, and now they have this.....the PHIII

jerzyperson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2023
    St. Joseph County
    Yeah, they ditched the PH and came out with the hideous PH2 (Boyds Laminate). Now they have the PH back, w a round bolt knob, in what looks like CL II SX plastic stock.

Im a fan of the old PH ugly plastic stock and butterknife bolt.
    Got mine on closeout a yr or so ago.

I was thinking getting a CLII SX in shorter bbl and .308 as a second Steyr, but they never showed up stateside in that config, and now they have this.....the PHIII

IMG_20231021_210252.jpg IMG_839451765996681.jpeg

Here's two of the three. The top is the sbs in .300 win with the ssg 04 barrel pic rail shroud. And the 30-06 below

jerzyperson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2023
    St. Joseph County
    Dunno if I got a pic of mine.
    Haven't blooded it yet.
    I went with an aluminum Recknagel pic rail.
    NECG carries em (steel or alum).
    Wears a reg VX3i 3.5-10X 40mm
    Proly look better w a 30mm tube scope since receiver kinda looks fat LOL
    Lol sounds like a great rig. Get it blooded. No other rifle between mine or my dad's have seen more blood. That's why we call it the point and say die gun. It doesn't miss!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ive only shot 150gr WW PSP in mine.
    Does an inch at 100, which is what the accuracy guarantee said.
    The orig hard pad sucked, but I got a soft one and extra mag from MGW at good price.
    Need to try some 180s if I ever go after bigger stuff.
    Haven't even adjusted the trigger, kinda heavy but it did the guarantee so I said good enough.

jerzyperson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2023
    St. Joseph County
    Ive only shot 150gr WW PSP in mine.
    Does an inch at 100, which is what the accuracy guarantee said.
    The orig hard pad sucked, but I got a soft one and extra mag from MGW at good price.
    Need to try some 180s if I ever go after bigger stuff.
    Haven't even adjusted the trigger, kinda heavy but it did the guarantee so I said good enough.
    Killed everything I've shot with 150gr. The .300 gets 180gr pills.

Top Bottom