• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I am thinking 7MM Mag for elk. Good ballistics lesser recoil than 300 win mag. I am thinking topping it with Vortex scope. Rifle I am looking at is a browning hells canyon.
    Give me your thoughts on this rifle and caliber.
    Thanks
    Skip
    When I was in Montana the 7mm REM Mag was very popular for an all around rifle. Especially those that hunted Elk. It’s not a bad choice

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had a 7 mag yrs ago, not bad. Sold it to go to .300 winmag, which was fine but a little punchy.
    Sold it to go 338 winmag, but shot a buds .35 Whelen w hot handloads. No belted cartridge, 250grainers next to .338 winmag V, and a big shove.

Pretty freakin cool.

Alas, that was yrs ago, and I only went elk hunting once, w MZ.

Did buy a general purpose rifle in case I ever went for elk. Boring ol .30-06.
    Figure 165s would do it, or go to 180s.

I think rifle/cartridge the least of concerns when trying to find and then shoot something at elevation. Its gonna be a lot harder now than it was then.

My cartridge selection was partially based on the rifle available. Wanted a Steyr Pro Hunter and all that was left were .30-06 and .300 winmag. IMHO a .30 is a .30, so chose less blast and thump.
    Just means I gotta get a little closer.

Maybe.

Dinny

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2015
    Trafalgar
    308 and 30-06 ammo has been available most everywhere I've looked lately. I can't say I've seen any 7mm RM ammo on the shelves. Whatever you choose, make sure you practice alot with the same ammo you'll hunt with.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    308 and 30-06 ammo has been available most everywhere I've looked lately. I can't say I've seen any 7mm RM ammo on the shelves. Whatever you choose, make sure you practice alot with the same ammo you'll hunt with.

I cannot speak to elk, but can say that for deer there was some added satisfaction in taking an animal with my own handloaded round.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    OP: What else do you want to do with the rifle?

That may also help make a decision.

Make it a long range paper puncher means a different platform/cartridge than also making it into a white-tail rifle for here at home.

And "off the shelf" ammo availability (hahahaha) should also come in to play.

Take this with a grain of salt as I'm neither a long range paper puncher nor a hunter: But if it were *ME*, I'd probably look for a short action vs. a long action. My ONLY reason for this: I used to listen to a long-range competitor's podcast; and he'd suggest a shorter action (.308) over a longer action (.30-06) just due to how much a .30-06 would beat up a shoulder and how much more powder it would burn. But, keep in mind, that was target shooting and not hunting.

But, again, inside of 300 yards - .308 is good medicine.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    As for rifles, there are a lot of good rifles it's just a matter of what weight you're willing to put up with and the features you want. Bergara rifles are nice but are going to be a bit heavier than the Browning or the Tikka that was mentioned. IMO, although the Browning and the Tikka are fairly close in weight, I like the stock on the Browning better and think it handles recoil a bit better for harder kicking rounds. Depending on the particular Hell's Canyon model you were looking at, the Sako S20 is also a very nice rifle for a similar price chambered in 7MM mag with a bit extra weight to help tame recoil like the Bergara.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Dads old Savage 110 7mm Remington Magnum has a lightweight thin barrel. It's made for 3 maybe 4 shots then let it cool down.
    If it's pure hunting I'd say 3 shots is definitely going going to be rare. A Plus to that is it's a very lightweight rifle even with its 22" barrel.
    7mm Remington Magnum recoil is really light considering the cartridge.

Orezona

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2021
    Indiana
    OP,

The Sportsman's Warehouse on 31 (south side), has Tikka T3x rifles and Browning (pretty sure Hells Canyon). I live in Greenwood and have a Bergara B-14 Hunter (7-08). This would be a good chance for you to hold each.

I will repeat what was said in a post above, anything from 270 to 30-06 will work great.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Hopefully you are in good shape....It is hard work...
    A neighbor of mine is a CO native. She said that a lot of her family elk hunt quite a bit. I expressed my jealousy... She basically invited me on a trip "one of these days".

Apparently, though, they use horses to pack in and pack out.

that's my kind of rugged terrain hiking!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    A neighbor of mine is a CO native. She said that a lot of her family elk hunt quite a bit. I expressed my jealousy... She basically invited me on a trip "one of these days".

Apparently, though, they use horses to pack in and pack out.

that's my kind of rugged terrain hiking!
    I think I'd rather walk but I'm quite certain the horse would rather I walk, lol.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I may yet get a 7mag. Or a .25-06...........depends on how nice a #1B deal comes along.
    Guy I used to work with had a 25-06 that he hunted out west with for Elk. Not sure of the availability of ammo for it now. I had a 7mm RM for a while in just a Remington 700 ADL. It would shoot sub 1"MOA @ 100yds. I think ammo for both are scarce and expensive at the moment. I picked up the 7mm because it's almost identical to the 300 ballistics, but recoil is significantly less.

scout5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Charlestown
    7mm is an excellent big game cartridge. browning makes good rifles as do several other companies. I have not used a vortex scope but my friends that have report good things about them.

enjoy the hunt

Last edited:

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    6.5 PRC is a pretty popular one at the moment. Have a friend that went elk hunting this year, and took one with this caliber. Was pretty devastating. I think he was using the 143 eld-x. Youll get about 200fps more than standard 6.5 cm....

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom