• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I figure with all my fellow INGOers trying to get in shape, lose weight, etc, I could try to do my part in helping out. Here's a handy guide to eating clean and healthy.

Protein list
    pork
    beef
    chicken
    cottage cheese
    cheese
    protein powder
    turkey
    eggs
    egg whites
    all kinds of fish - oily (salmon, trout, sardine, mackerel) and lean (tuna, halibut, cod, flounder, and so on)
    yogurt (has carbs too - actually more carbs than protein)
    Greek yogurt (less carbs, more protein)

Starcy carbs. Most people set it as 30 to 50 percent of the diet, depending on how good they do with them.

Starchy carb list
    quinoa
    whole-grain bread
    whole-grain pasta
    brown rice
    oatmeal
    oat bran
    corn

Fruits, beans, veggies. This is what has been recommended to make up most of your carbs throughout the day. Eat these with most of your meals and leave the starchy carbs for the post workout and breakfast meals, unless you're extremely active, have an insane caloric allotment, or do great with them.

List
    All veggies
    All fruits
    All beans

Fats.
    olive oil
    fish oil
    flaxseeds
    flaxseed oil
    nuts
    coconut oil
    macadamia nut oil
    egg yolks
    full-fat cheese

A good rule of thumb is for EVERY meal, eat a lean source of protein, with a good source of carbs. You should try to eat veggies throughout the day. You can never eat too many of these.
    Your starchy carbs, the best time to eat these is in the morning, so you have the entire day to burn them off. The absolute best time to eat something that's HIGH in carbs, is before and after your workout. That way you get the energy to workout, and you also replinish your body after your workout.

The reason why MOST diets fail is because you cut yourself too short. You never leave room for the GOOD food. Which is bacon, pizza, etc. You should try to have about 3 cheat meals a week. That way, you will have something to look forward too. My cheat meals are on the weekends.

Believe it or not, this isn't that hard to follow. My dad has lost a lot of weight by following this. My mom is just starting. Me, I have so much energy from eating healthy. I love it. If anyone has any questions, just post or hit me up. I'm not a trainer or anything, this is just a hobby of mine. I do a lot of reading on this stuff.

Also, to stop hunger throughout the day, keep a bag of nuts close by. It's been proven for weight loss, Almonds will help you reach your goal faster. Almonds, walnuts are the best. I also add cashews to my bag.
    Fish Oil caps are also great. They help your heart, reduce risk of cancer, and aid with weight loss.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Not to try and argue what you posted. Just a note on brown rice. I have read that it's actually not as healthy as some make it to be. A lot of nutritionists say stay away from white rice. Well my friends wife is Japanese. She eats white rice, three times a day. That is part of the culture in Japan. If you look, Asians are probably the healthiest people in the world. A lot has to do with their diet overall yes. Just some food for thought. I'm poor and really can not afford to eat like I should. Plus I hate cooking for only one person.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Not to try and argue what you posted. Just a note on brown rice. I have read that it's actually not as healthy as some make it to be. A lot of nutritionists say stay away from white rice. Well my friends wife is Japanese. She eats white rice, three times a day. That is part of the culture in Japan. If you look, Asians are probably the healthiest people in the world. A lot has to do with their diet overall yes. Just some food for thought. I'm poor and really can not afford to eat like I should. Plus I hate cooking for only one person.

That's true. That's why it's a Starch. Starchy carbs aren't as good for you as regular carbs. Take bread. You should eat Whole Wheat instead of White. But if you look at the nutrition facts, it's almost the samething. You actually should stay away from bread altogether.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm poor and really can not afford to eat like I should. Plus I hate cooking for only one person.

I've heard plenty of people say this, but I don't understand. The best food for you is the cheapest food.

Rice, beans, vegetables, chicken, tuna, potatoes, eggs....

All cheap!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I've heard plenty of people say this, but I don't understand. The best food for you is the cheapest food.

Rice, beans, vegetables, chicken, tuna, potatoes, eggs....

All cheap!

Cost of food isn't the only factor. The convenience and time (particularly if one hates to cook) are contribute a LOT. The effort to eat right is often disproportionate to the reward...on the negative side. It's far easier to purchase the processed food and pre-made micro meals.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Cost of food isn't the only factor. The convenience and time (particularly if one hates to cook) are contribute a LOT. The effort to eat right is often disproportionate to the reward...on the negative side. It's far easier to purchase the processed food and pre-made micro meals.

True, but he said he was too poor to eat healthy, not that he didn't have time.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I really do need to start eating better cause I sure do need to drop about 20 lbs. I would settle for 20 right now. I have been excercising a few nights a week but I think I should do it more often. I love stachy food and that is my problem and I love to cook. Thanks for the post it is usefull.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    That's true. That's why it's a Starch. Starchy carbs aren't as good for you as regular carbs. Take bread. You should eat Whole Wheat instead of White. But if you look at the nutrition facts, it's almost the samething. You actually should stay away from bread altogether.
    Dude, you need to dig much deeper before giving dietary advice.

Starch is a complex carb, and because the molecular structure of complex carbohydrates is more complicated, than more simple carbohydrate sugars, like sucrose and glucose, the body cannot metabolize complex carbs into energy as quickly as simple carbs. Result? Complex carbs are not digested and turned into energy as fast as sugars (except for fructose) and therefore keep you full for longer.

Burn more calories than you eat, weight loss.

Eat more calories than you burn, weight gain.

Less processed is usually better than more processed.

Everything in moderation.

RacineDKringle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    I still like a quote that I heard recently regarding calories in/calories out.

"You are not what you eat, you are what your body does with what you eat". We respond hormonally and enzymatically much different to different kinds of food. 300 calories of fat isn't the same in the body as 300 calories of bread or 300 calories of protein.

If I were to pitch dietary mantras, I supposed I'd go with the above quote, plus.

1. Avoid fructose. Fruit is good, as long as it's not de-fibered fruit (aka Juice)

2. Don't drink calories. Your body isn't good at recognizing liquid calories and adjusting either your insulin secretion and/or your satiety responses accordingly.

3. Move (exercise) to break down the AGE's in your body. Move to get your heart pumping. Move to gain muscle.

4. Try to balance out your Omega 6's with your 3's. Try to eat less 6's and more 3's. See how you feel. If you feel sucky, don't do that again =)

For those who read about nutrition a lot, I kind of dig Robert Lustig, I think he's on the right track. Ray Peat probably is for some things - but he's a bit rambling and hard to read.

RacineDKringle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    I like bacon! (does anyone here NOT like bacon?) In fact, have some stuff from the pig-of-a-friend-of-ours in the freezer that I add pretty often to my cooking (some nice rendered lard too).

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Plus I hate cooking for only one person.
    Get a woman and make her cook for you.

GetAttachmentaspx-1.jpg

Jesus...that's gonna hurt... :):

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Dude, you need to dig much deeper before giving dietary advice.

Starch is a complex carb, and because the molecular structure of complex carbohydrates is more complicated, than more simple carbohydrate sugars, like sucrose and glucose, the body cannot metabolize complex carbs into energy as quickly as simple carbs. Result? Complex carbs are not digested and turned into energy as fast as sugars (except for fructose) and therefore keep you full for longer.

Burn more calories than you eat, weight loss.

Eat more calories than you burn, weight gain.

Less processed is usually better than more processed.

Everything in moderation.

Uh, "dude", that's why i said only eat starchy carbs, gasp!, in the morning and around your workout. If you have a problem about what I said, check this site out. TESTOSTERONE MUSCLE | The Intelligent and Relentless Pursuit of Muscle and also Precision Nutrition Somehow, I believe that I and these websites know just a little bit more than what you know.

Just saying :dunno:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Top Bottom