• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daggy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    South Bend
    I'm about to buy a pair of Howard Leight slim earmuffs. They also have electronic ones, but at twice the price I'm just not sure. Are electronic earmuffs that much better than regular ones in blocking noise?

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I just looked at MidwayUSA and found the slim line to be rated NRR25 and the electronic at NRR22 with the higher number being more reduction. The difference is with the electronic you hear everything going on around you including conversations. The gunshot is blocked out so it depends on what kind of shooting you do. I shoot IDPA so the electronic are great for me, if I just shot targets at the range without much interaction with other people the standard would be fine. My electronic are the same ones you are looking at and I consider them to be a geat value. Jim.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I've been using them (the HL electronics) for about six years. I've tried others during, but always go back to those.
    It's nice to be able to carry on a conversation at the range (especially when with new shooters) and still have the shot muffled out.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I use those yellow ear plugs over which I put those cheap, but well rated Harbor frt muffs. I can't her a thing when folks talk to me so I just smile and nod a lot....

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I think one of the more embarrassing things is when you're talking all loud because you can't hear yourself and realize that you are shouting at people wearing electronic ear pro who can hear you whisper.

Luckily at NFA Day they were very forgiving of nubbits like me, just nodding and smiling, when you get electronic ear pro yourself you realize just how silly you looked.

Edit: I got my Peltor Tactical Sports for 67usd, Amazon had a pretty good sale on them a couple months back, so if you're not in a rush, I'd suggest you hold out till you see them on sale somewhere.

Last edited:

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    The review Esrice wrote is excellent.

That being said I've got a pair of cheap green Caldwell electronic earmuffs and they work great. And they only cost about $25 if you can get them on sale at Midway.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The review Esrice wrote is excellent.

That being said I've got a pair of cheap green Caldwell electronic earmuffs and they work great. And they only cost about $25 if you can get them on sale at Midway.

Amazon has these for $22.95. I have a pair of Peltor's but am going to get a pair of the Caldwell's for Trap. I think they are little thinner and won't hit my stock.

Daggy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    South Bend
    The review Esrice wrote is excellent.That being said I've got a pair of cheap green Caldwell electronic earmuffs and they work great. And they only cost about $25 if you can get them on sale at Midway.
    Amazon has these for $22.95. I have a pair of Peltor's but am going to get a pair of the Caldwell's for Trap. I think they are little thinner and won't hit my stock.
    At $22.95 it is a good deal. I'm reading the reviews on Amazon to see if I can live with it.

Daggy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    South Bend

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Excellent! The photos make HL look bigger than Caldwell, so I'm glad you mention that they're actually smaller. Unless anything else comes up, I'm buying the electronic HL.

Hold on, I'll take a picture for you.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Hmm, they may not actually be that much smaller, but they do seem less bulky to me, and they definitely fold up smaller. The band is also thinner and more flexible which I like. They just feel much better to me, both comfort and quality wise.

The Howard Leight is the more brownish one.

kYV075kl.jpg

R7DfGDJl.jpg

Daggy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    South Bend
    Hmm, they may not actually be that much smaller, but they do seem less bulky to me, and they definitely fold up smaller. The band is also thinner and more flexible which I like. They just feel much better to me, both comfort and quality wise.The Howard Leight is the more brownish one.
    kYV075kl.jpg
    R7DfGDJl.jpg
    The pics do show that HL is better in quality and design. This is a no brainer choice. Thanks!

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    I have the HL electronic really like them. After a full day of shooting ears still fell good, and they keep your ears warm which is very important in the never ending winter.

Top Bottom