• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Hey all,

I recently purchased an RIA M200 and some Colt D-frame walnut grips that I will have to modify to fit. I was fortunate enough to find a similar grip modification on Reddit, except this person used bonded ivory rather than walnut grips so I'm hoping these will work since they were identical models from the same company (fingers crossed!).

More to the point, I'd really like to duplicate this load as close to (reasonably) possible just for the authenticity of it. I have guns to carry, guns to hunt with, etc. so I wanted this to be my WWII project. While I'd love to have a Colt Commando and/or a Victory model, those are both outside of my price range unfortunately, and would likely be put up and never shot. This RIA on the other hand is just a loose copy and will suit my project purposes nicely.

Regardless, any ideas on how to accomplish this feat? Something decently close is all I'm looking for.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

It says 925 fps. 4.3 grains of Hodgdon "Universal" will get you pretty close. I don't think you can make that speed with a fast burn powder like "Bullseye"

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013

It says 925 fps. 4.3 grains of Hodgdon "Universal" will get to pretty close.
    Great, thank you!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    @Leadeye may have additional info too, but I'd say Leo's advice would be a good starting place. :yesway: I guess it depends on how "authentic" you want to go as far as projectile type, etc..

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    @Leadeye may have additional info too, but I'd say Leo's advice would be a good starting place. :yesway: I guess it depends on how "authentic" you want to go as far as projectile type, etc..
    I'm just looking for something close. Of course, the closer the better but I realize a load from 79 years ago will be much different now than it was at the time. I'd definitely like to keep the projectile as close as possible.

Last edited:

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    This may be thinking outside the box, but you could always get some 158 grain, lead round nose bullets and have them powder coated with copper colored powder coating. This would open up your bullet options and allow you to push the cast bullets at the velocities that you want and still achieve the FMJ look that you are after.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Leo's info is good, not sure who has FMJ RN bullets for the 38 special though. I've seen FMJ in TC or FP design, but ScoutT6a's suggestion sounds interesting. For maximum metal effect you would need what's known as "leafing" metallic powder coating. It looks like polished metal when cured.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I’ve got a handful of older Lyman books I can look up to see about matching velocity. 5.0 of unique would probably be close as well. It s a fairly warm 38 loading.

for bullets, they aren’t FMJ, but will look and perform similarly…

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This may be thinking outside the box, but you could always get some 158 grain, lead round nose bullets and have them powder coated with copper colored powder coating. This would open up your bullet options and allow you to push the cast bullets at the velocities that you want and still achieve the FMJ look that you are after.
    I dont think having enough speed is a concern. Back then I believe the bullets were SLOWER than today. Its most likely about going slower with an older design. In some cases so you dont blow it up. (basing this off the Garand where if you put modern hunting rounds in it you'll break it.)

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I dont think having enough speed is a concern. Back then I believe the bullets were SLOWER than today. Its most likely about going slower with an older design. In some cases so you dont blow it up. (basing this off the Garand where if you put modern hunting rounds in it you'll break it.)
    I believe the Garand issue is more of a pressure curve deal vs velocity.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    These after looking have a flat nose.

These are true fmj rn but out of stock.

Last edited:

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    The original loading was showing 925 fps. I was just referring to being able to comfortably push the lead bullets at those speeds without issue.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I remember when it was easy to find full velocity .38 spl ammo with 158 gr bullets. The common revolver then was something like a 4 inch Smith & Wesson, a Security six or a Colt trooper. Good sturdy revolvers. With so many compact and even plastic revolvers being sold in the last couple decades, it seems like all the distributors are sending out is mild, light bullet loads. (unless you are buying plus P rounds)

When I started I bought a lot of SuperVel ammo that was called "FBI load". I loaded 148 grain wadcutters for indoor bullseye target work, and the FBI load for everything else.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I remember when it was easy to find full velocity .38 spl ammo with 158 gr bullets. The common revolver then was something like a 4 inch Smith & Wesson, a Security six or a Colt trooper. Good sturdy revolvers. With so many compact and even plastic revolvers being sold in the last couple decades, it seems like all the distributors are sending out is mild, light bullet loads. (unless you are buying plus P rounds)

When I started I bought a lot of SuperVel ammo that was called "FBI load". I loaded 148 grain wadcutters for indoor bullseye target work, and the FBI load for everything else.
    I used to load some hotter 158 .38s with Titegroup. I don't have the info handy but it was around 4.5gr with fmj. I think they were Magtech bullets. I think Magtech also had a loaded round about this performance. (If it's even available)

If you try to use a lead bullet use a gas check.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Leo

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom