Dumbest thing you have ever done with a gun and learned a lesson?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I was handling a new to me makarov (unloaded) and dropped the slide on my finger. I'll never forget that sensation.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I just read this post. WOW! I hope it was on Mother's Day. It don't get much worse than "poppin' a cap in yo' mama's leg"

It has been a while since this has happened, yet I still get made fun of nearly every family gathering. She was healing great until one of the shrapnel pieces made its way to the surface a few weeks ago. She having an outpatient surgery to have it removed next week. So she'll have a bandage at thanksgiving... I guess that means all the jabs and whatnot will continue lol.

gary1960Pwrcruz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2015
    Plainfield
    My son and I were shooting clay pigeons, He yelled pull, I pulled, he shot the clay target, dropped the gun and fired the next round into the ground. We had to take a break and make a new rule. Only 1 round in the shotgun at a time.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I HAD some friends that liked to hunt. Large family of very nice people.
    I accepted an invite to go rabbit hunting with them and I was literally hitting the ground to keep from getting shot.
    I'd found out 4 members of the family had been hit with shotgun pellets over the years.
    Dumb was going with them. Smart was never going back.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I HAD some friends that liked to hunt. Large family of very nice people.
    I accepted an invite to go rabbit hunting with them and I was literally hitting the ground to keep from getting shot.
    I'd found out 4 members of the family had been hit with shotgun pellets over the years.
    Dumb was going with them. Smart was never going back.

I didn't know you knew the Cheneys

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Ok. I'll fess up. Doing reloading drills with the PF-9 I had at the time. No ammo in the room. Finshed up and grabbed my full mag out of the other room. Made a phone call then realized I had some more time to practice. Did several more drills and then switched to malfunction drills. The loaded mag I had retrieved earlier was grabbed, thinking it was an empty one, and the Tap, Rack, Bang had a real bang. Bullet went through the wall and struck the concrete portion of the house next door. I found the bullet in my driveway.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The one thing that still makes me queasy even thinking about it happened when I was 12. A couple of friends and I took our .22lr rifles down to the woods to do some plinking. We were, by no means, allowed to do this unattended, but it was summer vacation and I had squirreled away about 50 rounds of ammo from the various range trips I went on with my father. This was back in the '70s, before the 4 rules were commonly taught and even ear protection was rare. Anyway, we plinked cans down in the woods for about an hour and then headed home. My rifle was the only one scoped and on the way back, a friend asked if he could check it out. He starts aiming at stuff and then settles in on an older neighbor about 100 yards away and pulls the trigger. I grab the rifle back from him because he was being an idiot and pull the bolt back and out pops a dud .22lr round. Apparently, while shooting, the last round I loaded was a dud and I had just assumed the mag was empty. I never checked and did not even pull the bolt back until after the friend pulled the trigger while aimed at a neighbor.

I hope we all learned a lesson that day, but I know I did for sure. To this day, I'm paranoid about checking the chamber. Even while dry firing, I'll sit the gun down and when I pick it back up 10 seconds later, I'll do a chamber check before dry firing.

98cirrus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Goshen
    I hope no one who reads this EVER repeats my mistake...I've been safely handling firearms since my dad introduced me to a BB gun at 5 years old. I killed my first pheasant at 9 years old, overseen by a meticulous teacher, my dad. Went 45 years without doing anything stupid. That doesn't mean I'm immune to stupid. Took 2 pistols to the range. A 44 Magnum, and 45 Long colt. Those rounds look somewhat alike, and one of those 44's ended up in the 45 LC....Nothing broke but XXXX. That will never happen again. Safety wake up call.

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    Im ashamed to admit it, but for learning purposes... Back when I was a senior in high school, I used to roll with a buddy (who was a few years older than me) who would pick me up at lunch time. He had a little Toyota pickup truck. So under the front seat on one particular day, he had a .22 revolver stashed. Well, I found it. At the time I was a noob still in alot of ways when it came to firearms safety. I honestly thought it was a toy, that is until I pulled the trigger and shot the windshield out. To make matters worse, were in the parking lot of a bank when it happened. Thankfully we got out of there without being noticed and no harm/no foul- other than the broken windshield. So yeah, always check the chambers. Never just start pulling random triggers. I do still beat myself up/shudder when I think back on that day, and all the scenerios how it could've went down but didnt-.

My partner and I still to this day mf'er each other over that too! LOL

RW97

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2016
    Muncie
    Me and my wife we walking in from shooting, I had an old 22 revolver I was teaching her to shoot. We'll, me being cocky I was cocking and de-cocking the hammer while the cylinder was full. My wife had got after me and I said it's fine, I know what I'm doing. Not 2 seconds later my thumb slipped from the hammer and put a hole in our floor. My wife says "ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!" lesson learned...

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Many Moons Ago (true story) A GunStore owner and a State Trooper, after installing a Trigger Shoe on Troopers Duty Weapon it wouldn't holster properly. Trooper lays Sam Brown Rig on Gun Store counter. While both try to Cram Duty Weapon into Sam Brown Holster, said weapon Discharges. Gun Store Owner has Wound to Left Hand and his Watch is Destroyed. Lesson Learned; The Timex " Takes a Lickin and Keeps on Tickin" does not apply to Gun Shot Wounds.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    My dumbest mistake (and hopefully it stays that way) was taking apart my grandpa's Stevens 620. He had all of his guns stolen and the thief threw the one's he didn't think were valuable into the river. CO's recovered some of the guns and the 620 was one of them. I got it from my aunt and after checking to make sure it was safe, went out and shot it. It worked fine, but the action was a little rough, so I took it apart to give it a total cleaning. I'm talking all the way apart, and I figured out, after multiple attempts, that I couldn't figure out how to get it back together 100%. Finally, a guy on youtube made a video on it, so it's now back together. I learned my lesson though.

StringerBell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Rushville
    I have a .257 diameter hole in my living room ceiling just above my recliner. The corresponding hole in my roof was repaired several years ago, but I left the hole in my ceiling as a reminder to myself. Nobody else would ever notice it, but I know exactly where it is. I still have no idea why I had a loaded round in the chamber of the rifle (M99 Savage), but I did. I've been handling firearms my whole life, but carelessness is ageless.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Loaded rifle with no safety in field. Carrying with finger in trigger guard. Almost added a superfluous hole to my foot.

Thankfully that's the worst of my firearms mistakes, and I hope it stays that way.

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    A couple weeks ago I was taking my pants off and trying to remove the IWB hoslter. My M&P Shield was too awkward, so, I took it out of the holster and laid it on the pants which was on a table in the bedroom. While messing with the holster, the Shield slipped off the table and fell to the floor. It landed with the barrel pointing straight up. The scary part was, me looking straight down the barrel as it landed. Had it discharged, I would have taken a shot to the eye and my wife would have had a very gory mess to clean. Now I ALWAYS unholster before changing clothes. So glad the Shield took the beating.

Top Bottom