• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Hey guys. I am finally in the market for an AR (great time I know) and was wondering what do you guys think about the DPMS Oracle. I threw a bid on one on gunbroker so we will see if I win it or not. Im giving myself a spending limit of 1,000$ on any ar right now (also near impossible but Ill find one eventually). Im also looking at the 308 AR10 version as well. Any insight would be appreciated thanks!

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Entry level AR. Before the ban it was $650-700 new. Only you can decide what your money is worth.

That said it will be fine for a range toy.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    I purchased an Oracle last July as an "investment" gun just in case the big "O" was re-elected. The price then was $619 + tax. Right before the great panic, the same rifle in the same LGS was $759. I have no idea what it is going for now but, in the same shop AR-15s are going for $1200-$1800 this week. I don't know if he had any DPMS rifles left.

This is my assessment of the DPMS Oracle;
    1) It is a good shooter. I get 3" groups @100 yds using a non-magnified red-dot with my old eyes.
    2) The factory handguard is junk, has no metal shield, and was loose. It is okay to start shooting but you should plan on replacing it. I upgraded to a Magpul MOE handguard and am happy.
    3) The factory stock is also junk and loose. It is also a poor design with a release mechanism that I was always hitting and collapsing the stock when I didn't want to. I upgraded to the Magpul MOE stock for $59 and both of those problems have been resolved.
    4) The factory grip was okay but I upgraded to Magpul MOE + grip for $23 because I prefer the rubberized grip.
    5) The gas block rail is not at the same height as the receiver rail. If you want to install iron sights, this difference must be accounted for in your sight selection. If you want only a scope, red-dot, or other optic, this may not impact you.

The DPMS Oracle is an entry level AR-15 and IMO is a decent rifle with the handguard and stock upgrades above. I recommend considering the cost of those upgrades in your purchase decision.

mikestripe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    seymour,in.
    Oracle

I have a DPMS Oracle,I put Yankee Hill flip up sights a bushnell red dot,I put a midwest industries free floating handguard a houge handgrip,I dropped in a Timmney 4 lb. trigger,I put a Magpul CTR stock on it.I put sling attachments and a Blue Force 2 point tactical sling and a Magpul hand grip on the hand guard,I love this rifle,I shoot 2'' groups at a 100 yards with it and i'm a old fart.

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    I have owned several DPMS carbines and a couple of them were Oracles, for the price point (before the craziness) they are a nice gun. Deck it out in Magpul goodies, a decent red dot optic and shoot the heck out of it.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    I bought a 308 Oracle only because of the fantastic price I paid for it. I was not expecting it to be as nice a shooter as it is. I also have a POF 308 and for a non free-floated barrel the DPMS (at least the one I have) does not give up much in accuracy to the POF.

+1 for adding Magpul goodies.

DPMS Oracle 308 16''

MOE stock & hand gaurds, Ergo grip

Primary Weapons FSC30 .308 Comp

NF 2.5-10X24 in a American Defense mount

I have under $2,000 in it as pictured including price of the rifle.

0382.jpg

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I have an Oracle, and for the price point (paid $600 new), it has been a great rifle. Do I shoot thousands of rounds and run it through intense tactical training/matches/military stuff? No. But, for what I do use it for, it's a great choice.

For off the rack, in that price range (well maybe not today...), it's a great deal. I'm not aware of many other rifles in that price range.

I swapped out the hand guards to a Daniel Defenense rail, and then put flip up BUIS.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I don't believe you'll find anything in the AR platform now for your $1000.00 price cap. Cheapest one I have seen has been a Bushy Carbon for $1200.00 and all the AR parts won't fit that rifle.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    My buddy got a DPMS Oracle last week in new Albany from a local gun store for $700. There are plenty of affordable AR's in our area. I've had no trouble finding any.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    I would buy a LE6920 but since I cannot find one ANYWHERE for under 2500$ thats not gonna happen so gotta settle for something else.

Not to be a Debbie Downer but your budget is short $200 from getting a 6920 from even Wal-Mart.

SILVERBACK

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    MONROVIA
    Trust the majority they are GTG. The AR snobs will bash them for not being a tier 1 AR, but for their price they excellent rifles. My first ar was and still is my favorite one to shoot, at least 12,000 rounds and no hiccups. Upgrade grips, forearms and ect. as budget allows, and never look back as I'VE SHOULD BOUGHT A COLT, LWRC,LMT,BRAVO COM., THE LIST GOES ON...

Top Bottom