• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zookeeperk9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    Took the wife to some garage sales this morning and noticed a gentleman customer at a sale open carring in a tactical thigh holster. He was probably late 40's wearing black jeans and a brown tee shirt with a squirrel on it. He did not strike me as a LEO, and the pistol and holster looked like they were out of the box new. I thought that it was kinda tacky to carry that way around a strangers yard and garage not to mention children. I was carring also but IWB concealed. I think IWB open carry might be OK when garage saling but not a tactical thigh holster. May be he was just a newb. :dunno:

Any way it made me think about starting a Do's and Don't tread just for fun.

I will go first.

Do get your LTCH Laminated.:thumbsup:

Don't wear a tactical Leg holster when you go Garage saling.:noway:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Took the wife to some garage sales this morning and noticed a gentleman customer at a sale open carring in a tactical thigh holster. He was probably late 40's wearing black jeans and a brown tee shirt with a squirrel on it. He did not strike me as a LEO, and the pistol and holster looked like they were out of the box new. I thought that it was kinda tacky to carry that way around a strangers yard and garage not to mention children. I was carring also but IWB concealed. I think IWB open carry might be OK when garage saling but not a tactical thigh holster. May be he was just a newb. :dunno:

Any way it made me think about starting a Do's and Don't tread just for fun.

I will go first.

Do get your LTCH Laminated.:thumbsup:

Don't wear a tactical Leg holster when you go Garage saling.:noway:

:+1:

Tactical thigh holster at a garage sale?

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    LOOK AT ME EVERYONE!!!!

When you weigh about 250, carrying a Glock 22 under a t-shirt is not carrying concealed, nor a good look to go to town with.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    From what I understand thats a common occurrence in Arizona. Maybe he just moved? lol.

In any event I'm sure people could say some of the things you do, wear or say could be seen as tacky as well.

Of all the obnoxious tshirts, pants, tattoos, car stereos et al and you choose this to make fun of? :dunno:

I've only open carried in a thigh holster once up here... Halloween and it went well with the costume. You'd be surprised the comments on how "real" the gun looked :lmfao:

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    From what I understand thats a common occurrence in Arizona. Maybe he just moved? lol.

In any event I'm sure people could say some of the things you do, wear or say could be seen as tacky as well.

Of all the obnoxious tshirts, pants, tattoos, car stereos et al and you choose this to make fun of? :dunno:

I've only open carried in a thigh holster once up here... Halloween and it went well with the costume. You'd be surprised the comments on how "real" the gun looked :lmfao:

In Arizona you may carry open without a permit as long as it can be seen from 3 sides of your body. Concealed carry requires a permit and an 8 hour class to obtain it.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I would have likely struck up a conversation with the guy and complimented him on his gusto!

Yeah, it's gaudy but that takes guts. Kinda like Jehovah Witnesses, you may not want to hear the message but you gotta give them credit for walking their faith (even if it is to your door at just the wrong time).

And heck, if there is trouble, you will have all the time in the world to draw on the BG as he empties his pistol into Mr. Tactical. :lmfao:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    kinda tacky to carry that way around a strangers yard and garage not to mention children.

Wait. So it's not ok to open carry where children may be? I may be wrong, but that's the way I read the text. I understand about carrying on a stranger's property, but more power to anyone to carry in any way they are safe and feel comfortable.

:twocents:

Do exercise your rights

Don't compromise on them :patriot:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Wait. So it's not ok to open carry where children may be? I may be wrong, but that's the way I read the text. I understand about carrying on a stranger's property, but more power to anyone to carry in any way they are safe and feel comfortable.

Do exercise your rights

Don't you think a thigh holster with a pistol might be a little dangerous with a bunch of kids around that probably have never seen a "real gun"?

I just may be overly sensitive, but I wouldn't do this. Just my two cents.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Don't you think a thigh holster with a pistol might be a little dangerous with a bunch of kids around that probably have never seen a "real gun"?

How is it dangerous? Thigh holsters usually have super retention. Much safer than no-retention IWB holsters that may squeeze out a pistol when you bend over to look at that 8-track Barry Manelow. The latter is more potentially "dangerous" than the former. Frankly, a thigh holster is less likely to spit out a pistol than a pocket holster on my couch.

As for "dangerous" to the RKBA movement? The whole philosophy of the OC crowd is kinda like the "come out of the closet" movement in other circles. Be more visible, change what is considered "normal" & "scary". In the end create a situation where Jimmy's mom says "guns are dangerous" and have Jimmy reply, "But Mr. O'Mally carries one every day and it never hurt anyone."

You may disagree, or may not be interested yourself, but I think "dangerous" is a touch too far.

Remember, the metal object we carry act no different around kids than around adults, or around socks in a sock drawer. They do nothing on their own.

zookeeperk9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    No, there is nothing wrong with open carry around children, I do it every time I see the Grand kids. The whole point was it is unusual to see some one carry that way at a garage sale. Kinda like wearing shorts and cowboy boots.

OK every one who wears cowboy boots and shorts start flaming. :popcorn2:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    How is it dangerous? Thigh holsters usually have super retention. Much safer than no-retention IWB holsters that may squeeze out a pistol when you bend over to look at that 8-track Barry Manelow. The latter is more potentially "dangerous" than the former. Frankly, a thigh holster is less likely to spit out a pistol than a pocket holster on my couch.

As for "dangerous" to the RKBA movement? The whole philosophy of the OC crowd is kinda like the "come out of the closet" movement in other circles. Be more visible, change what is considered "normal" & "scary". In the end create a situation where Jimmy's mom says "guns are dangerous" and have Jimmy reply, "But Mr. O'Mally carries one every day and it never hurt anyone."

You may disagree, or may not be interested yourself, but I think "dangerous" is a touch too far.

Remember, the metal object we carry act no different around kids than around adults, or around socks in a sock drawer. They do nothing on their own.

I can understand and respect what the OC movement is trying to accomplish. I guess I have problems forcing parents to have that conversation with their kids. If a kid sees a man at a garage sale OC, he/she will almost certainly ask mom/dad about it. I know this because I have a 4-year old.

I grew up in CA where guns are almost taboo in some circles. I appreciate the freedom and laws in Indiana, but I'm still in the process of re-programming my brain! :n00b:

When I talk to friends still in CA, they think I live in the wild west. LOL!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    No, there is nothing wrong with open carry around children, I do it every time I see the Grand kids. The whole point was it is unusual to see some one carry that way at a garage sale. Kinda like wearing shorts and cowboy boots.

OK every one who wears cowboy boots and shorts start flaming. :popcorn2:

I once did door-to-door solicitation part time as a college student. I lasted 3 days. On day 3 I went to a door and knocked. A LARGE, furry man wearing only a S&W revolver in a black leather horizontal shoulder holster and tighty whitey underwear came to the door. He pointed to the no solicitor sign I had missed and I left.

To be honest, I had forgot that incident until you mentioned cowboy boots and shorts. Thanks for bringing back the memory.... :n00b:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I can understand and respect what the OC movement is trying to accomplish. I guess I have problems forcing parents to have that conversation with their kids. If a kid sees a man at a garage sale OC, he/she will almost certainly ask mom/dad about it. I know this because I have a 4-year old.

I grew up in CA where guns are almost taboo in some circles. I appreciate the freedom and laws in Indiana, but I'm still in the process of re-programming my brain! :n00b:

When I talk to friends still in CA, they think I live in the wild west. LOL!

I am in Bloomington. Those circles exist here too!

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I've found that most people assume anyone OCing is a plainclothes LEO. Assuming, that is, you're not behaving so outlandishly that any cop assumption would have to vanish.

Still, I find I'm more comfortable with concealed carry unless I'm in the woods.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    In Arizona you may carry open without a permit as long as it can be seen from 3 sides of your body. Concealed carry requires a permit and an 8 hour class to obtain it.

Or a 4 hr. class for a UT CCW. :thumbsup:

Do exercise your rights

Bigum, with respect, I understand you wouldn't do this, and that is your right. I don't think it's dangerous to OC like this, even around kids. You might even get the kids asking questions and just maybe get Mom and/or Dad talking some. (If you do, it is required that they be invited to INGO.;))

I know that if I feel little hands on my pistol, 1) I've let them get too close, and 2) I'M going to be the retention device on my holster.

The gun, by itself, is not dangerous, and I know you weren't implying otherwise. Education is the key, and showing the kids and the parents what responsible gun ownership looks like is a big step to making that happen. Just make sure you're ready to do that, whether you OC or CC.

Blessings,
    B

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I've found that most people assume anyone OCing is a plainclothes LEO. Assuming, that is, you're behaving so outlandishly that any cop assumption would have to vanish.

Still, I find I'm more comfortable with concealed carry unless I'm in the woods.

I agree that most people would just think you were a LEO.

But in this case the guy was wearing a tactical thigh holster and a squirrel T-shirt!

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I am in Bloomington. Those circles exist here too!

My wife and I love Bloomington because of all the fun college town aspects of it. I've always thought it must be an interesting place to live with the confluence of rural Monroe County and the liberal college campus!

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    But in this case the guy was wearing a.. ..squirrel T-shirt!

There you have it! That's "behaving badly!" :lmfao:

mugshott.jpg

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    My wife and I love Bloomington because of all the fun college town aspects of it. I've always thought it must be an interesting place to live with the confluence of rural Monroe County and the liberal college campus!

BINGO! Same for my family. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom