• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I have a pedometer in my iPhone that measures among other things the asymmetry of my stride. With an OWB it indicates 0 asymmetry. Carrying with an IWB, on the other hand, I get a result of up to 2% asymmetry in my stride.
    Same walking course, comparable distance.
    Has anyone else seen anything similar?

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Not unreasonable, I've seen studies about more hip replacements in guys that sit on their wallet or have large wallets. It certainly does imbalance your belt.

I imagine holster fit/quality, gun weight, and amount of support the belt and pants provide all play into it as well.

The question that'll really twist your knickers is if you ARE physically imbalanced due to 2lb on one hip and you DON'T have an asymmetrical gait, what's it done to your body?

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I agree with bwframe, balance is more important that the actual weight. I have carried full size steel guns without issue so long as there is the counter balance of a spare mag on the opposite side of the belt as the gun.

I have also carried a smaller gun with no spare mag and had a sore back at the end of the day, especially if my belt was too tight. I would absolutely believe the IWB carry could affect your gait and symmetry.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Is it in the violin case?
    No, in my 60s now and with mild arthritis in both hips, so I tend to notice aches and pains more than I used to. Just wondering if the factor of carrying IWB instead of OWB was something other old timers here had noticed. I was actually rather surprised when I found the result. Or it might be due to COVID?

Anyway, I'm a little concerned that this could lead to irritation and further damage, as ridiculous as that might sound.

When I carry my P-07 OWB balanced by a mag pouch on my opposite hip it actually feels comfortable.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    75 here and I carried an 2011 STI Perfect 10 with a 6" barrel in 10mm with a Karmer IWB horse hide holster till a year ago when my old hands couldn't take the hard recoilshooting full house loads. Never seen any problems with the STI or Colt Government caring IWB from late 1970's to early 1980's.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I wore IWB for awhile, but I really prefer OWB. I felt like wearing IWB made me feel out of symmetry. Whether it actually did anything, I don't know. My chiropractor would probably say "yes".

That said, I am considering trying IWB again. I have a desire to conceal even deeper than I am with my OWB and I have to take it off and on again frequently so having a clip would make it easier.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Well, I bought and received a CYA IWB holster. It looks real nice, especially in the carbon fiber color/type I ordered. Unfortunately, there is no way I can wear that thing! It's a little disappointing as I thought it would be nice to be able to clip it on and off and have the extra concealability.

I guess I'll return it and stick with what I know works.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Well, I bought and received a CYA IWB holster. It looks real nice, especially in the carbon fiber color/type I ordered. Unfortunately, there is no way I can wear that thing! It's a little disappointing as I thought it would be nice to be able to clip it on and off and have the extra concealability.

I guess I'll return it and stick with what I know works.
    What's the problem with it?

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    My body,lol. I'm 5'11", 171 lbs with a 30" waist. IWB just presses too hard into my side, especially the sweat shield.

I just don't think IWB is going to work for me.
    Loaded question: Is there enough room in your pants for the gun? most people go up a size or two to IWB. conversely, If I take my holster off, I tighten my belt a notch or 2.

Also a matter of gun and holster fit and position... sometimes moving the gun up, down, forward, backward, or tweaking the angle can make a world of difference. Sometimes it's just a matter of having a different holster that rides different. That's why many people will say you'll get a milk-crate of old holsters to find what works (at least this place has a return policy it looks like) Just saying don't give up on IWB because one holster doesn't work.

streetsamurai7

Dungeon Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    Don't underestimate the difference a good belt can make. I switched belts to a better one, and it allows me to wear IWB comfortably, and I can get it tight enough that it rides where I want it, doesn't move, and allows me to walk normally. I try to ensure my position doesn't interfere with my natural body mechanics, and a good belt was the key for me getting this right.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Loaded question: Is there enough room in your pants for the gun? most people go up a size or two to IWB. conversely, If I take my holster off, I tighten my belt a notch or 2.

Also a matter of gun and holster fit and position... sometimes moving the gun up, down, forward, backward, or tweaking the angle can make a world of difference. Sometimes it's just a matter of having a different holster that rides different. That's why many people will say you'll get a milk-crate of old holsters to find what works (at least this place has a return policy it looks like) Just saying don't give up on IWB because one holster doesn't work.
    A size larger might help, but I have too many pants/too much money invested to do that at this point. I did have one years ago (N82) and I couldn't get used to it after wearing for quite some time. I then switched to OWB.

I might try another, but looking at the design, it doesn't look like it's any thicker than necessary to hold the pistol.

This particular holster only has angle adjustment. I will try to adjust that and see how it feels.

Thanks!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Don't underestimate the difference a good belt can make. I switched belts to a better one, and it allows me to wear IWB comfortably, and I can get it tight enough that it rides where I want it, doesn't move, and allows me to walk normally. I try to ensure my position doesn't interfere with my natural body mechanics, and a good belt was the key for me getting this right.
    This is also an issue. The clip on this one does not wrap around the bottom of my belt as nice as I'd like. I initially tried it on my Daltech Bull Belt and apparently the belt is too thick. Or so I thought. I then tried my nylon gun belt. It still wouldn't wrap around it very well.

I'll mess around with it again at lunch today.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Try a good leather IWB, leather gives enough that you stop noticing it is there. I'm 5'9" and 243#. I have used Kramer https://www.kramerleather.com for about as long as they have been operating. Carred 1911's in one for many years. Started with a Government then went to an Officers .45 ACP, back to the Government Rail Gun to STI 6" 2011. I use a Kramer for my 1903 Hamerless .32 ACP that I have had about 30 years. Still works as good as the day I bought it. A hard holster hurts if you fall and land on it.

Top Bottom