Does anyone know if US Steel is one of the exceptions on having your gun in the car

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I doubt if they are exempt once the law goes into effect on July 1st.

Only if they satisfied both of these:

(8) on the property of a person that is subject to the United States Department of Homeland Security's Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards and licensed by the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission;

I say that I doubt it since I read in an article that Michael G. Rippey, president of steelmaker ArcelorMittal USA, urged the governor to veto the legislation. I also know that Nucor Steel is addressing the upcoming change (at least for its Indiana facilities.)

So it seems neither of these closely related companies meet the criteria for an exemption though it remains possible until you verify for the U.S. Steel facility.

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Be careful.

As I remember back in the day, there were a few steel mills that were located on the great lakes and some rivers that were classified as US ports and under feds jurisdiction. That way they could receive and deliver international shipments directly from their facility. Can't for the life of me remember which ones though. I believe that would qualify as an exemption.

Tinman....

LMW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2010
    Griffith, IN
    US Steel, in Gary, is a Regulated Waterfront Facility, and in being so, is regulated by the US Coast Guard. They are required to operate IAW a Facility Security Plan in which they can restrict "dangerous devices" including firearms from being allowed on the property.

Sport69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Portage, IN
    From what I can remember, not carrying a weapon on US Steel property is a condition of employment and by accepting a job there you agree to the conditions set forth. Same goes for vehicle searches on the property, condition of employment.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    So if it was just a U.S Steel rule and they aren't exempt, as of July 1 they could not enforce that rule against weapons locked inside your vehicle.

If there are other laws that apply to weapons at that location, no rule or lack of enforcement thereof would matter anyway.

Laws trump rules.

LMW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2010
    Griffith, IN
    Facilty Security Plans that contain security provision addressing the carraige of weapons consititutes federal law and must be followed by the owners or operators of the MTSA (Marine Transportation Security Act)regulated facility.

US Steel is a MTSA regulated waterfront facility. If their FSP says that they do not allow firemarms on their property, then by federal law, they must follow it.

In this case, federal law trumps state law.

If you want to read more about it, check out http://homeport.uscg.mil/mycg/portal/ep/home.do

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Facilty Security Plans that contain security provision addressing the carraige of weapons consititutes federal law and must be followed by the owners or operators of the MTSA (Marine Transportation Security Act)regulated facility.

US Steel is a MTSA regulated waterfront facility. If their FSP says that they do not allow firemarms on their property, then by federal law, they must follow it.

In this case, federal law trumps state law.

If you want to read more about it, check out http://homeport.uscg.mil/mycg/portal/ep/home.do
    yup your 100% right on this...plus when the towers where hit on sept.11,,,i was at the #1 bop shop..they put the entire mill on lock down..no one in or out..i beleive they said that uss was on a hit list..along with other US buildings...so i beleive they have special homeland security laws they have to follow...ps..why do i smell bacon!!

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    I interned in the tin mill back in college (2005-2006), and I remember the Gary Works police chief telling our orientation class that USS would not hesitate to fire someone over a knife larger than 2.5", no matter what state law says....

They mean business, and I'm sure they'll find a way to get around the new law.

LMW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2010
    Griffith, IN
    yup your 100% right on this...plus when the towers where hit on sept.11,,,i was at the #1 bop shop..they put the entire mill on lock down..no one in or out..i beleive they said that uss was on a hit list..along with other US buildings...so i beleive they have special homeland security laws they have to follow...ps..why do i smell bacon!!

MMmm... bacon. I had some for breakfast. Maybe that's why you smell it :)

Top Bottom