• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Absolutely. I've done quite a bit of winter camping in HNF and its great. The views are fantastic, as all the leaves are down, and you have the entire forest to yourself. :rockwoot:
    I've spent as many as 4 days down there when the high was in the 20's and it will teach you a lot about yourself and your gear. You will learn exactly what you need to take and what is extraneous. No fun carrying the 80 pound pack o' pain. Not to mention, you will hike... A LOT. If for no other reason than to stay warm. You will check out trails that you normally wouldn't just because you want to keep moving.

In short, I highly recommend winter hiking/camping. Tons of fun!

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I "live" in the wilderness and cold weather is just part of the drill :)

Really, though, there's something to learn about just by being IN it, and not just a dash from house to car or store..

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The only problem with ECW camping is having to heat your beer before you can drink it!:D I've done several trips into HNF in the not so temperate months, and I've found that until I really need to, I'm going to avoid it. (Older and softer now)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Thank you but nope not for me. I got the opportunity to grad from the Army Arctic school that was enough ECW camping and Hiking for me.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I love camping in the cold weather. I'll dig up my sleeping bag and grab my tent, pack my bags in about 5 minutes and I'm ready to go!!

:rockwoot:

10 years in Boy Scouts taught me the right and wrong ways. If I had the patience to type out the story of camping in -10 degree weather with a foot of snow and a Scout with no preparation whatsoever.... :D No it wasn't me but a kid that transfered from the city who'd never been before... :p

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I try to make it out at least once a year to stay ready. but a little harder now with a wife "allergic to cold":noway: if I do get to go I try to make it on the nastiest weekend I can. if you have the time and skills it should be mandatory this day and age.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    For a true cold weather experience, I would recommend that you try the Hoosier National Forest, not Brown County State Park. In the HNF, you have a lot more trails available, they are generally longer and more scenic, and you can camp in most places (vs. established sites in BCSP). The real difference, though, is that at Brown County it is hard to stay away from your car. The trails don't really interconnect, so if you want to be gone for more than a day, you will be staying close to your car.

The car can be a lifeline if something bad happens, but I know that personally, I'd have a hard time living out of my pack if I had my truck nearby. Being in the middle of the HNF forces you to make do with what is in your pack, and it adds a real sense of urgency.

Another quick note about safety- When hiking the HNF this summer with my g/f, I pointed out to her (to help me remember too) that if one of us is hurt, we really have to keep our cool and respond intelligently. In BCSP you might be able to wait for someone else to come down your trail, or a ranger to notice your car at the trailhead. At HNF the odds are a heck of a lot slimmer, and the hike is almost always further. Not to mention, the trails aren't nearly as obvious in some places. Generally they do a good job marking trails, but not always.

If you are serious about this and need a hiking partner, PM me. I'd like to do it but need to go with another person.

rafterman191

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Terre Haute
    For a true cold weather experience, I would recommend that you try the Hoosier National Forest, not Brown County State Park. In the HNF, you have a lot more trails available, they are generally longer and more scenic, and you can camp in most places (vs. established sites in BCSP). The real difference, though, is that at Brown County it is hard to stay away from your car. The trails don't really interconnect, so if you want to be gone for more than a day, you will be staying close to your car.

The car can be a lifeline if something bad happens, but I know that personally, I'd have a hard time living out of my pack if I had my truck nearby. Being in the middle of the HNF forces you to make do with what is in your pack, and it adds a real sense of urgency.

Another quick note about safety- When hiking the HNF this summer with my g/f, I pointed out to her (to help me remember too) that if one of us is hurt, we really have to keep our cool and respond intelligently. In BCSP you might be able to wait for someone else to come down your trail, or a ranger to notice your car at the trailhead. At HNF the odds are a heck of a lot slimmer, and the hike is almost always further. Not to mention, the trails aren't nearly as obvious in some places. Generally they do a good job marking trails, but not always.

If you are serious about this and need a hiking partner, PM me. I'd like to do it but need to go with another person.

I actually meant the HNF. We hiked the trail to Patton cave a couple times this year when the water was real high. That was fun. Thought it would be nice with a few inches of snow. If we get something going, I will get in touch.

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy

+1 for HNS

I just went camping in Hoosier over the weekend of Nov. 22-23. 40 highs, 20 lows.

We went to Germain ridge trail system, dropped off gear at campsite, drove to trail head, walked back to campsite about 12 miles. Camped, walked back to vehicle the next morning about 8 miles (20 mile loop), drove back to camp to break down.

I was with a group of about 6 for a college PE class. Two "got sick" (read chickened out) the second day, but I've never had a better time getting college credits.

Not my first time out in the woods, but It was the first time I've been to Hoosier for camping/hiking and I enjoyed it. My girlfriend and I are already planning a spring break trip similar, but the location isn't set yet.

Top Bottom